Short Story How bad was your first piece of fiction?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Baller Dale, Apr 27, 2012.

1. A.L.Mitchell

A.L.Mitchell Active Member

As far as I remember it was one I rather forget, the grammar was awful, the story structure was messy and the plot... don't get me started about the plot.

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I wrote my first story at 10/11.
    All I'm going to say is = Horrible.
    How can you even describe a house a 'blonde?' lol

3. CrimsonReaper

CrimsonReaper Active Member

I once tried to burn the only printed copy of my first attempt at a fiction novel.

The fire would not claim it......

4. RabidChipmunk

RabidChipmunk Member

I first wrote stories in first grade, usually for assignments. I always tried to make them funny, and I always failed. Miserably.

Nowadays when I write for the sake of humor I do a much better job at it. It always surprises me just how funny some of my friends thought they were when I myself find them embarrassing.

5. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I was eight years old. It was about a horse and was written in paint. It came with illustrations of random horses I had drawn.

I didn't write a good story until I was about 13-14 and started my massive Buffy fanfiction. I basically rewrote every season into what I wanted until it barely resembled the original anymore. That was a good story, but my writing didn't become readable until I was 16-17, though in five years or so I will probably change my mind about that. I'm only 21, so I haven't had that much time to improve.

6. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

In my first piece of fiction, my protagonist would address the reader because I thought that was cool and stuff. *runs*

7. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

The earliest story I remember writing was a picture book for 3rd grade and it was called "The Mountain" and it was about these three boys who saved up their money and decided to climb a mountain. They climbed the mountain and along the way they met a snake... and then they just kept climbing... and then they went home. The only reason I remember this was because our teacher gave us these hard cover books to write and illustrate the story. While I hope my writing has improved... both my penmanship and my drawing skills haven't improved at all. Well ok my handwriting improved slightly...

There was another short story I had to write for third grade. But for the life of me I cannot remember a single detail. I only remember that there was this cursed coin or something. I even get the feeling I had no clue what I had written shortly after writing it. It's odd feeling.

But it wasn't until about middle school did I start writing on my own. It started with my characters background for a MMO I played. I remember reading a cool story based on a character in this world and I wanted to do the same. It was horrible... beyond horrible. I redfined the word and concept.

But you have to suck before you can get better.

8. Aramis

Aramis New Member

I think that no matter how bad you thought your first attempt at writing was if it gave you the bug to want to improve and write more it was a positive event in your life.
    Even Shakespeare had to start somewhere.

9. Erato

Erato New Member

Terrible.

But I don't consider that to matter, because what I write now is better.

10. madeleinefarraday

madeleinefarraday New Member

I didn't think my first piece of fiction was that bad. But when I read it now, I can definitely see that I've grown as a writer. I had hardly any real conflict in my first story, and while it was a fairy tale, and my daughter loved it, it could have used more spark, somehow.

Don't get discouraged. Practice makes you grow.

11. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Technically, my first piece of fiction was the drivel I tried to submit for those Reading Rainbow contests they used to have and I was like 5/6/7 at the time. Yeah, I don't even remember what they were about, but let's just say that what I do remember is pretty cringeworthy. xD

I always did mental fanfics and original stories in my head since I was a kid, and so I've technically been "writing" since I can remember. But in terms of written down fiction, I think I started again when I was 13, and let's just say, it was bad. xD

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you look at an early sample of your writing and don't feel disappointed with it, worry. You should be improving over time.

However, I don't see much benefit in looking back, other than a confirmation of how far you have come. As noted above, you should expect it to be bad, by your current standards. How bad should be closely correlated with how far back you go. Do you count the stapled ten-page story you wrote in crayon when you were five years old?

So I say skip it. Look instead at where you are now. Use that as your low water mark for the very next piece you write. Always use your best writing to date as the base level to improve upon.

13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

"Monsieur Boule inserted a delicate dagger in Mademoiselle's left side and departed with a poised immediacy."

That is a terrible sentence. But it was the opening sentence of an early story by Eudora Welty, who went on to win the Pulitzer Prize, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and other honors for her work. She is regarded as one of the finest writers in American history.

Always remember that it's not about how bad you were, but how good you can become.

14. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Nah, I quite liked it actually - it did the only thing a first sentence HAS to do, which is make me want to read the next one.

Everyone knows that literary prizes mean jack shit anyway. It's all subjective...

15. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I wrote some 'bad' stuff and some good. I was published in a poetry anthology when I was 13 and got my first romance published back in 1982. It's been downhill all the way from then, I guess.

16. Pyraeus

Pyraeus New Member

It was terrible.

So terrible I erased all memory of it from the computers at home and scrubbed my brain with mind bleach.

17. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

I recently found a school book from when I was nine or ten years ago; the first story in there was actually quite entertaining, if poorly written with some rather surreal jumps from hunting for Amazonian cities to lost Nazi submarines to flying saucers.

I think I'm going to rewrite it and self-publish it before long.

18. louis1

louis1 Member

i wrote my first story when I was 10, it wasn't that bad (for a story written by a 10 years old), I still have it and I like to read it from time to time. my second story was written when I was 14, that one was terrible, oh gosh it was so meaningless, with the most random plot. My third one I wrote when I was 15 or 16, it was actually okay for a short story. And now, being 19 I'm almost done with my first novel which I believe is awesome.

19. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

My first piece of fiction was called "The Time Machine" and I was 7 (I think.) when I wrote it. It was about a man who one day had a time machine land in his back yard. He then went to the future where he had to battle alien invaders. It was bad. My first published work was a short story called "Super Dude Vs. The Robo-Zombies". Really REALLY bad. Not sure how it got published, but it was bad. I was still 7 (I think.) when I wrote that one. I then continued to write more cliched titled stories like "The End of the World". Now, years later, I started to write a synopsis for a steampunk-ish fantasy story. Still in the works.

20. bakalove

bakalove New Member

My first fiction was horrendous the characters had no voice my structure was loose and had no plot. It was about a kid turned into a vampire and he had a crush on a vampire who hid in the woods who also had turned him xD.

21. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I am sure it was awful. I started writing in primary school, moved on to some really angsty poetry, but it was all age-appropriate. The first short stories I wrote that I am still proud of them now was in year 10 (I was about 15).

22. Boriol

Boriol New Member

I've had four "stages" of writing in my life: 3-9, 10-12, 13-16, and 17+.

3-9: One-page Pokemon comics, a few originals.
    10-12: Runescape fanfics, all original characters.
    13-16: Masked teen rebellion--sex and violence, both mindless, sometimes combined. My biggest Mary Sue stage. Also discarded fanfiction altogether at this point.
    17+: Started considering themes, depth of character, psychology, philosophy, etc. Generally, I started writing mature stories.

I like to go back to the stuff I wrote before I was 17 to get a better look at how I perceived the world and how I thought at those ages. It really helps in developing younger characters, since I tend to make them a bit too old for their age. Granted, it's most accurate for INTP characters, and even then there are variables.

23. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Yeah, too early to judge yourself or to give up!

But I put things into perspective: what I wrote when I was 9 or 10 was... childish. But were all my ideas bad? Nope, I wouldn't say that. I appreciate that they were all building blocks, and helped me to improve.

So think of it as a learning experience.

24. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

I wrote a BAD ASS short story for my English GCSE exam, and I KNOW it was damn good because I got 100% for the paper - that puts it in a very small handful of entries across the whole country. I even won the school prize for English (got 100% for my English set text paper too) but... I will never see that story again, and I can't even remember what it was about now! Kinda annoying.... I wonder if some examiner secretly got it published under their own name...? HA! not hat I'd ever know.... LOL

25. aimeekath

aimeekath New Member

I think the first thing that I can remember writing was something about a lady called Mrs. Wishy Washy.