1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

When to Begin the Core Conflict?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Killer300, Jan 18, 2012.

This is awkward, as I find if I start the story right off with the core plot it just isn't working, mainly because the core plot begins things off with... a scene that will probably confuse readers if the story starts with it. But, on the other hand, you're supposed to start near the point of change, if not at.

So, tips for this? Is it okay to spend say, 10 pages just introducing the world and characters, or is that way too much?

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

It's okay to spend 100 pages setting up if it's well written. There's no point asking this question without some kind of point of reference, since you'll only get generic advice back which may well hurt your story. You just have to do what works for you--the only rule in writing is what works.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

There's no one-size-fits-all formula.

I personally have to start with some kind of conflict, even if it's not the core/main one. But just make the story gripping, and that's all that counts.

4. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

There are two conflicts going on - the surface conflict, and the internal conflict that needs to be resolved. The surface conflict should be connected to the internal conflict, but you don't need to reveal this internal conflict until it's resolved at the end of the story.

5. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

I think it's fine to take up pages introducing the storyline, as for how you tie them together you could use flashbacks, or thoughts of the characters. It may also help to build up important events prior to the conflict, it may help.

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

start with what you find easy/appealing then work you way down if you like.
    there is no right or wrong but if you prefer specific scenes/areas of writing then you start with that then expend from there.

7. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Well, to give some context, the story's conflict is a fantasy journey story at its core(person has to go out and defeat a villain). But, this one is through a land made of dust mostly, cities inside giant buildings, and in a world under construction still, sort of. All of this with a world that doesn't have names in the traditional sense.

Hope this helps.

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Begin the core conflict whenever it's best to do so. :)

9. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

You know what... yeah. I can always edit the beginning later, so this should be fine.

10. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I think you should be careful if you want to start with 10 pages of introduction, at least if you want to submit it for publishing, because lots of agents/publishers (at least where i'm from) read only the 10 first pages and if they don't find them interesting enough they put it in the rejection-pile. You have such little time to get the readers interest before they choose if to keep reading or put the book back in the shelf, so my advice is to try and introduce the characters and the setting with a scene where you still throw readers in in the middle of things, so to speak, even if we're just meeting the characters in their usual life, make it really interesting instead of just a set up for the rest. i don't know if I explained myself well enough, hope you understand what I mean?

11. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Ah, yes, that's what I was worried about. But, I'm starting to see some things about the first novel that have been... educational to say the least.