1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

How can I get these two characters to be in the same room in a hostage situation?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Apr 27, 2016.

For my story, the MC has taken hostages, and the police bring in his girlfriend as a negotiation tactic to try to talk him down.

However, I want it so that by unexpected surprise, the girlfriend decides to join the MC in the hostage taking, once she goes through a character change.

However, normally the police would keep her away, and have her communicate to the hostage taker by megaphone, or walkie-talkie, or something like that.

So I cannot think of a way for her to get close enough to be able to pick up a gun of the MC's, and join him, since the police would be keeping her back, and keeping an eye on her.

Even though she believes in his cause, she is not the type to harm the police at all, so anything like that would be out for her, in order to get closer. Does anyone have ideas, how she could do that possibly?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. Pauline

Pauline Member

This might be simplistic, but can't she just take off running? She's unlikely to be shot at by either parties, and she would have the element of surprise. Maybe saying something in her talking him down that the MC realises she's on his side and the police think means she's against him.

The Triarii likes this.
  3. Ryan Elder

Oh okay, well I thought the police would have set up some guards that she couldn't past, that would be further down or something.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Doubtful, unless they thought she was going to try it. Besides, you're writing the story. You determine this. You're in complete control of the story.

5. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee The writer formerly known as Chained. Contributor

#plottwist the megaphone is a gun!

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Contributed Member Contributor

Does he have more than one hostage? The movies always trade pizzas for hostages, maybe he could demand she walk the food in.

Pauline likes this.
  7. Pauline

Pauline Member

I asked a cop, a mate, who happened to be visiting when I saw your post. He said, that the GF would not have been called in, they use negotiators. But if she was there, she would not be under restraint so running was possible. That in mind, maybe ask a policeman. People love it when you say, I'm researching a book, can I ask your expert opinion? Good luck

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Iain Aschendale likes this.
  8. Ryan Elder

Well I don't want to set the story in total reality, if possible. It's like how in the movie The Negotiator for example, the MC takes hostage, and the police ask his wife to come talk him down. Is their a way to make it believable like in that movie?

Or is their a way the girlfriend could be there so it doesn't seem like a coincidence?

9. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

what of the guy trades 10 hostages for his girlfriend? Cops get 10 out and in the knowledge the girlfriend is safe.

10. Ryan Elder

But why would the MC want his girlfriend to come in though. There is no reason for her to come in, and the MC will not want to put her through that. The MC wants hostages he can put in danger, not his gf, which he will not, so it doesn't really make any sense for him to do that I don't think.