Website How can I give away my novel without publishing?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Gonki, Feb 13, 2013.

1. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Unless it's a HIGH QUALITY, you're hurting yourself more then helping. That includes Blogs and websites. If you're going to be a serious writer, then it's time to start thinking of yourself as a brand. (Because you are) What do businesses do with Brands? They advertise and also protect that Brand. To see how doing something bad to hurt your brand, look up the "New Coke" fiasco from the 1980's when Coke tried to change to be like Pepsi. It's a prime example of doing something to hurt your brand.

You ARE a brand as a writer, so putting the merde out there won't help. As I said before, don't put something out there you're not willing to have held against you by an agent of publisher. It doesn't take much for them to run a Google search and find out what's been out there-if they both to take the time to remove it from the slush pile.

As for the magazine, or the publishing world in general, if the guidelines aren't followed, then no one will give it to time of day. It's their version of the "requirement books" that come in event management when putting on a Concert. They're put in there to make sure you're following instructions. The assumption is that if you'll follow instruction, then everything else will work as it should.

Agents use that as a first round cut. One agent had 70% of the work on her slush pile that wasn't put together in the way she requested. Want to take a bet as to what happened to those manuscripts??

My .02