How can I learn to write more like him?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by MatrixGravity, May 26, 2011.

1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Reading is good. By reading, you absorb what good prose is like - you learn to recognize the feel of it, the effect of it. You must read good prose (scan through some threads on this forum for suggestions - there are lots of good writers out there), but it also helps to sometimes read bad prose, so that you understand the contrast between good and bad and become more clearly aware of what kinds of things to avoid.

One thing I'd like to add: Try reading aloud. It helps keep you from skipping over words and phrases, and helps you understand the rhythms of sentences and paragraphs. Reading good prose aloud is VERY instructive. Then, read your own work aloud. Does it sound clunky? Does it sound weak in comparison to the good work by professionals? It should become fairly obvious as to why this is so when you read aloud.

Lastly, don't expect that learning to write well is easy. It takes work and dedication. Maybe your email friend has more experience, a better head start, so it's easy for him to write better than you. But you can catch up if you're willing to make the effort and put in the time.

Good luck!

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Okay, then I just have to ask, what ARE you doing. I believe one of the first posts you ever made here was about your insecurities in relation to your vocabulary. Then lots more of those. A couple about plot help. Then more about how to be a better writer. What is it exactly that you want to write? And more importantly what is it that you still need help with?

We've explained how to be a better writer. We've explained why you shouldn't use a thesarus. We've explained why you shouldn't worry about your vocabulary at all at this point. We've explained why you should read. We've explained HOW reading makes you a better writer. We've explained so now you need to explain to us (or at least me, Please) why I keep answering questions that apparently have no bearing on what you will do in the future?

3. Rex

Rex New Member

I have no professional training, nor a serious education in journalism, nor literature. However, something I do which seems to help, is I go to my library, (NOTE: This actually requires getting up from the computer and physically going there) I then randomly pick a section without looking that the title nor the author, a grab what ever books just happen to be chosen. I then open the book to a random page, not concerned whether it's beginning nor the end. I am not reading the book in order to get the story, I let that happen naturally, but what I am doing is paying close attention to, how the story flows, how the dialog happens. What impression do I get from what I am randomly reading? Do I recognize anything which seems similar to my style? If I were the author how might I have written this particular part of what ever I am reading at the time. Am I impressed with the style? If so why?
    This may not be the "experts" advise, but it does seem to work for me. The important thing for me, is I am not fixated on genre, nor any particular author, I am merely reading various authors without choosing that on purpose.
    I recommend you not limit yourself to reading one particular author, genre, or source. Break outside of yourself, and challenge yourself as a reader, and a writer. READ, READ, READ, but also quiz yourself as to why, what, and how, so to speak.

4. Rex

Rex New Member

Well then, in that case, just keep doing what you have been doing, you will be fine.

On a another note, please disregard my previous, not to mention layman, advise as it was apparently unnecessary all along.

1 person likes this.
  5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

This is exactly what I was thinking. If you're not planning on being a "book writer," is there a kind of writer you are planning on being? Because otherwise, what's the point of starting thread after thread and ignoring the advice everyone gives you? I don't mean to be a bitch, but I just feel like you're purposely wasting our time...

6. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Diiitttoooo...

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

How are his emails good? I think once you figure that out, you can go and find ways to help you improve in that particular area. The best way, of course, is to read. I know you said you've only read one out of five books you got out the library or something, but you're not going to improve if you don't read. Reading is learning. And to be honest, how hard is it to read say a chapter a day of a book? Especially if you want to improve.

Also, I don't think you should try to write like him, or anyone else for that matter. Write like you, you need to find your own voice.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've got to ditto trish again!... as well as hn's addition to it...

so far, your only goal seems to be to waste both our time and yours...

9. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Give the lad a break he wanted an answer not a butchering.

Reading is a fundamental step in writing, but make sure you read a varried amount of WELL - WRITTEN novels or stories or poetry or what have you.

But now for your question: Grade his paper, give it points on style grammar etc. etc. etc. find out what he did well in. Then take that information and try to focus on one effect at a time and implement them into your writing.

KA-BAM!!!!! Don't hate us, we're just rude.

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

You should focus on developing your own style. Just because his writing is better than yours now doesn't mean it always will be.

11. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

Seriously, don't write like him.

Develop your writing style, your voice, your own quirks.

You can rip off the particularly sweet portions of his writing, like how I ripped off Islander's unique way of smoothly telling the story, but then I altered it to fit my writing style, added my quirks and suddenly people are asking me since when was I able to write so well.

12. kennychaffin

kennychaffin New Member

This, exactly!

As you read, keep asking yourself, what and how did the author just do that, form that image in my head, get me to ask the question or speculate about what comes next, or how did the author set that plot twist up so that I knew it was coming, but still didn't expect it...

13. kennychaffin

kennychaffin New Member

Yep. This too.

Read and study the best writers in all genres or if you want to limit it, then in the genre you want to write in.

Also learn to critique and work on critiquing competent writers. I say competent, because it often doesn't teach you much to critique truly awful writing....