1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

How can I make these character more than just a plot device?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Aug 29, 2016.

Basically my story is a thriller where in third act, the MC's revenge plan is to frame the villains, and manipulate the police into going after them, for him. Sort of like the classic playing one side against the other plans.

However, the police who becomes part of his plan to manipulate them, don't really have a role to play hardly, before the third act. They are not really part of the story, and don't really have much to do, before then, since it's the MC doing things by himself.

In fact it is essential that the police do not have a role to play prior, because if they did, they would have known too much, and therefore, wouldn't have been able to be manipulated into such a plan, cause they would already know what is really going on, if they had been part of the plot prior.

So I was wondering, how can I introduce a group of police that are part of the MC's plan in the beginning of the third act, without it coming off as out of nowhere, or a possible deux ex machina if you will, since their is not much for them to do in the story prior, plotwise?

2. HistoricalScience

HistoricalScience Active Member

I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with introducing them later but if you wanted to introduce them earlier perhaps have the police sniffing the trail of the MC at an earlier stage. Maybe the heat gets too heavy where he NEEDS to manipulate evidence or whatever to get them not only off his trail but to frame the villains as well.

If you don't want the police investigating anything prior to the end, perhaps the MC knows a cop in his personal life? Brother in law, neighbor, old high school buddy or something, you could introduce the police in that manner.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  3. Ryan Elder

----

4. Ryan Elder

Sorry my post, posted three times for some reason and I deleted the other two.

5. Nicola

Nicola Member

If the police role is just to move the plot along, they don't need to be introduced in the same detail as your key characters.

You could name drop or refer to them to introduce them gracefully or given them unique characteristics (Google character quirks)