1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

How can I structure this type of plot without painting myself into a corner.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Feb 4, 2016.

I have a thriller I am writing, but have never been satisfied with the last half and keep changing it. I figured out what the problem is after breaking everything down and looking it over.

When it comes to these types of cat and mouse thrillers, the MC will have a plan on how to get the villain, then the plan will backfire, but then the MC will find a way through and fix the backfire, and the plan will still work after all.

I have a plan, and it can work, but I feel it works too easily and there should be a backfire, before things go his way at the end. Plus if I leave the backfire out, I will have a gap on material, and be too short in screenplay length.

I would like to have a backfire, but every backfire I have come up with so far, is not fixable for the MC. Everyone I can come up with will destroy the plan entirely. Is their anything I should keep in mind, structure wise, when coming up with a fixable backfire, so it doesn't seem forced?

I asked another writer, and he said that if it's forced, then don't have a backfire. Just let the hero's plan work easily, with no problems. But if I do that, then there is no suspense for the last half, until the climax, cause there was no obstacles that had to be worked through in the MC's plan.

It feels too easy, and therefore lacking in suspense. Is their something I could do to add suspense, since adding a fixable backfire is not possible, in any of the plans I come up with for the MC?

I am just not sure how to add suspense otherwise, and the last half feels slowed down too much as a result.

Plus if anything doesn't go wrong in the plan, resulting in any type of tragedy, then the MC doesn't go through the change and develop how I want him to through. Should I leave any his character development out then as a result of a backfire being forced?

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

What is it about the MC’s plan that makes it so impossible to fix if something goes wrong? Maybe the plan itself is too tight and needs to be a bit more flexible in order to give your MC some options when the backfire occurs.

If you’ve decided to go against having a complete backfire, then you could put little hitches in the plan, so it doesn’t move quite so smoothly. I don’t know what this plan is about, so I can’t make any specific suggestions, but I would look at each step and see where you could put something in that wouldn’t necessarily destroy it, but definitely slow it down. Maybe the MC has to improvise some kind of tool that got broken or forgotten, or someone doesn’t do something like they were expected to, so the plan itself needs to be changed halfway through to accommodate that. The more complicated the plan is, the more opportunities there are for something to go wrong.

Feo Takahari likes this.
  3. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributing Member Contributor

Look hard at your MC and their arch. See what themes you are exploring and what you are trying to say with your story. If the story is about your MC's intellect and planning, then by all means, have their plan work. If your MC is more of a resourceful quick thinking type, have the plan backfire and then they improvise and overcome.

The point is you can do anything, just make sure it fits your character and story, and what you are trying to say.

4. Ryan Elder

Well basically I cannot think of something to go wrong that will work. In the MC's quest for justice, he (a cop), accidentally shoot another cop to death, while getting into a shootout with the villains, and he is blamed for it, since it was his acts of vigilantism on the villain that causes him to kill a fellow officer. The MC tries to make it seem like the villain framed him for it, even though it was him who killed him, evidence wise.

So this is what I thought could go wrong in the MC's plan but have not been able to think of how the MC can fix it or get out of it. I was thinking that the MC could find a way to pin the killing on the villain, as his revenge plan, but haven't found a way he could do that since all the evidence points to the MC.

How do you pin a murder on someone else, when all the evidence, that has been documented already, all points to you? This is the only thing I could think of that could go wrong, at least the only dire thing that could go wrong.

One method I thought of for the MC to pin it on the villain is this: The villains have been kidnapping people and making videos of themselves murdering people. In the videos, they wear masks and talk in scrambled voices, and do it in a room covered in black. The videos are also untraceable to the police, when they do it, which is why they keep getting away with it, with no evidence of any of the murders to be found, after the victims disappear.

I was thinking in order for the MC to get off the hook for the killing he accidentally committed, he could make his own video wear he impersonates, one of the villains. He wears the same mask, outfit with a scrambled voice. He admits that his fellow gang members are responsible for framing the MC, and he can name the three gang members that he knows as part of it in the video.

He then broadcasts the video online, just like the others, but makes it untraceable. Or he could send it to the media.

Now when the police see it broadcast, will this be enough to get the MC out of trouble so he can get his plan back on track? A confession from a masked man with a scrambled voice, is not enough to get any of the gang members arrested, since they could argue it's slander from an anonymous person, but would it be enough to get the MC legally off the hook, cause there is too much doubt?

Usually when someone is charged with murder, an anonymous person cannot just call in and say someone else committed the crime, as that is not enough to suggest that another person did it when all the evidence points to the original suspect.

However, in this case, the confession is done in the exact same type of video, with the same M.O. as the gang members who already took credit for other murders, in previous untraceable videos. So if a confession to the MC's killing is broadcast in a video, in the exact same way, but from an anonymous person, would it raise enough public notoriety to get the MC off the hook legally?

Otherwise, I cannot have the MC blamed for any tragedy at all, if there is no way to pin it on the villain, or drive the investigation towards the villain, instead of him, as part of his plan.

Basically the MC's plan was to survey the villains until they get together to commit their next crime. Or he can arrange for them to do it somehow.

However, I feel that he shouldn't just follow them around and wait for it, and then it happens, and he catches, them, then it's over.

I feel that he something should go wrong, such as him accidentally killing another officer, and them getting away, but he cannot prove it was them that were there, and he gets in trouble for it, or something.

By using that plot turn, it also helps the police turn against the MC and then he cannot rely on them for help, and has to do it alone, which is what I also want. I want his plan to go wrong with dire consequences, but also maybe he could turn it around like somehow pinning it on the villain, and manipulate the police into going after them as a result?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  5. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

I don’t think a video posted on the internet is going to do much good against hard evidence. It seems too convenient to me, and why would this group of villains admit they were trying to frame the MC before he’d even been arrested or charged for killing the other officer? Another thing: if they never leave any evidence, then this case is out of their style, since there is plenty of evidence here to condemn the MC, which leads you to wonder what is it that they have against the MC so much that they don’t want to take credit for a murder and go to the trouble to frame him for it? I mean, they kill people, if they wanted him dead it wouldn’t be a problem. This would be my thought process, if I was making up my mind about what really happened.

I think the MC is in a good position for the police to turn against him right from the beginning, so you could use that to your advantage from the get go. He accidentally shoots another officer ( Is this a friend? Is he remorseful about it?), there’s too much evidence for the police to ignore that he did it, but he can’t let them arrest him because he has to get these villains to pay for their crimes, so now he’s trying to avoid the police while trying to bring down the villains as well.

Maybe the evidence is really bad, but not so damning. Maybe leave out one piece that, if turned around, could make all the other pieces fall out of place. Something that wouldn’t necessarily be on the top looked for list for evidence. Depending on what evidence you’ve already come up with you could play around with some of those to keep the heat on him, but leave one or two things out that, if manipulated in the right way by the MC, could free him.

If you need something else to go wrong, you could let the police catch him. Or maybe someone related to the officer he killed catches him and tries to bring him in, but give him an opportunity to escape.

If the villains have an MO, maybe the MC could be trying to figure out who they’re going to kill next. He’s probably got a lot of research on them already, so he would have a decent starting point. Then he could build his trap for them around that.

6. Ryan Elder

Well the video is made by the MC to slander the villains, and drive the investigation towards them, and exonerate the MC of the killing.

Now when prosecutors investigate cases, though, they don't need logic. I mean in real life Christopher Dorner, posted online who he threatened to kill before he did it. This is illogical cause it leaves all sorts of clues, and compromises the plan. But crooks do not need to be logical in order to be pursued, right?

They don't need a reason to say why they framed the MC, they just need to say that they did it, and legally they will be pursued, regardless of WHY they did and admit to it, wouldn't they?

However, if the MC posts his own video, the video itself does not have to be hard evidence against the villain necessarily. It just has to exonerate the MC of the killing, and drive the investigation towards the villain. It's that drive, which will lead the police to discover other things later that will get the villain caught, I was thinking.

I also considered the MC setting a trap for the villain using their M.O. against them on the next crime. However, if the villain is going to commit murder, and the MC stops him in the act, then he can only be arrested for attempted murder. This is not a just punishment cause the villain is guilty of all these other crimes prior, and attempted murder one person is not near as long of a sentence by comparison. So I feel that justice isn't really served and the MC's goal is kind of anticlimatic as a result if I go that route maybe?

As for the officer the MC shot, he is actually a crooked cop that was working with the gang, but no one on the force knows that when he is killed. I was thinking that maybe the MC could have found out, but wants to keep it secret, cause it puts him in a position to get other cops to care about their dead cop, and some of them want to get justice for it, which the MC could use to his advantage.

If the MC tells everyone that the cop is crooked, then they will not care that much about avenging him, since he was one of 'them', and therefore a traitor.

Or I could have the MC not know that he was crooked as well, and he thinks he shot an innocent cop, who was there under other circumstances. What do you think?

As for the idea of having one piece of evidence that can be turned around and caused the others to fall out of place, I like that idea. But I cannot find one in this scenario. The cop accidentally shoots another cop. How can that be turned around when evidence says that he pulled the trigger?

What I could do is have evidence of the undercover cop being pursued by the gang he was part of. Evidence on his phone. This could give the police, the notion that the gang was after him, but it was the MC who came there and shot the cop from his gun. So I don't think that motive would count for anything legally.

I just cannot think of anything to exonerate the MC that would have been collected at the scene. I think that an exoneration would have to be manufactured by the MC later, such as a fake confession video from one of them in mask or something of that sort.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  7. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

Look back over your MC's strengths (established in Act I) and try each of those as a solution to the 'backfire.'

If you can't find a fit, find a new strength that will help him fix the problem and establish that as a strength in Act I.

But disguise the strength by presenting it as a weakness. Or present the strength as the wrong solution to an earlier problem.

For instance (off the top of my head):
    • The MC is a cat lady with 42 cats in her house.
    • As a result, she can't resist taking in yet another cat. (disguised strength: she's got a big heart)
    • She takes in a cat that pees on everything, disturbing all previous territorial holdings in the house. (strength seen as weakness)
    • When faced with a wild-eyed gunman in the subway, she reaches out and holds his hand, giving him the sympathy he actually craves...
    • And disarms what could have been a really bad situation.

BTW, this is based roughly on a recent news item... the gunman in the subway part.

Tea@3 likes this.
  8. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Active Member

If the MC's plan is so unstable that one backfire could capsize it, then hang the threat of a backfire over his head. Actually, "brush fire" could work better here--this factor and that factor and the other factor could all potentially cause his plan to fail, and he knows this, so he's frantically trying to deal with each factor while still keeping the plan going. (If you're going to have him manufacture evidence, this could include characters who would be capable of recognizing that it's fake, or undiscovered contradictory evidence he needs to dispose of before it's discovered.)

9. Samuel Lighton

Samuel Lighton Contributing Member

How about the officer he shoots is found to be involved with the killers. The MC doesn't know that, but eventually it comes to light outside of his perspective in the world.

He is proved innocent, but it still weighs on his conscience as at the time he acted without knowing.

10. Ryan Elder

I don't know if it's a matter of strengths and weakness in the character though. He has to get rid of the evidence against him. Since the evidence has already been collected and documented, it is kept in the evidence room of a crime lab. It seems to me, that the only way out is for the MC to have the building be evacuated, and then blowing up the lab with a bomb, to destroy the evidence against him.

This seems like a really harsh solution, but it seems that destroying it that way, may be the only way, and it's not a matter of character strengths and weaknesses per say. Unless I am wrong?

Or he could frame the villains and made it look like they framed him, in order to get himself off the hook. But if he is not allowed to impersonate the villains, confessing to a frame, I am not sure if that would work then, since evidence has already been taken to the lab.

Okay thanks, I could try this but it depends on many factors. Perhaps him having to destroy the evidence against him without anyone knowing it was him could be a brushfire.

Well I thought it would work better if it were the opposite. If everyone believes that the officer is innocent, then the MC can manipulate the others into going along with his plan to get the villain cause the other cops would want to avenge their officer as well. But if they know he was one of 'them', then he cannot manipulate others into going along with it, cause they will not care to avenge the officer if he was one of them, and a traitorous crook.

Perhaps having the MC shoot the cop himself by accident is causing too many problems, like having too much evidence against the MC, that cannot be made to look like a frame or anything?

I could rewrite it so that the MC does not kill the cop, but I wanted to have it so that he is working alone, with the other cops working against him, and he has to pin one side against the other, or something like that.

So maybe there is another way to do that, but so far, it seems that accidentally killing the cop, is the only way I can think of that would turn the others against him, to that degree.

11. Samuel Lighton

How about the other cop is a traitor, the MC knows this, but the other police don't. The villain uses this to his advantage to put them all against each other, framing him for killing an innocent cop.

12. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks. That's an interesting idea, but it's kind the same thing. The only thing is, is that the MC has to prove he framed, as oppose to the MC having pin his killing on the villains. Is their really a difference there, that changes much though, that I am not seeing?

Plus I thought that him killing the other cop might add to his character development, but what do you think?

There is another idea. This is just spitballing so it doesn't have to go this way at all, and I don't have to use it.

But if after the MC kills the cop by accident, he predicts what will happen, that they will charge him with it. So what if he wants the villains to be blamed, since it was them who caused the other cop to be there, but the police do not know who they are DNA wise or anything.

So what the MC does, is, is that he cuts off the dead cop's hand, when no one can see him, and then he takes off with it before the other police arrive.

Then after finding out who the villains are, and arranging for them to all be together, at the same residence, the MC then plants the hand at the residence, and makes it look like a shootout happened, and the other cops who respond to the gunfire, find the hand upon discovery.

The MC cannot make it look like he entered the inside of the residence though, otherwise that will be tresspassing, and the evidence becomes fruit of the poisonous tree. So he has to make himself look like he didn't tresspass, and the that the hand was already there.

Is this enough to pin the murder on the villains since it looks like they had the hand on their property? That is just one idea though, and I am brainstorming.

13. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

I guess what I have a problem with is that nobody knows anything about who these people are. They're masked, disguising their voices, trying to hide their identity. So anybody could pretend to be them. You mentioned having the MC name three of them in his video, but if the cops have names, and that many names, why do they need to bother with the masks and all?

When you say “turn against him” do you mean full out chasing him like a fugitive? You could go a little less extreme and have him simply not have the support of the police in tracking down the villains. Maybe the evidence he has isn’t quite enough to make them able to pursue it or something, but they can’t help him and don’t want him to go off on his own with it. Then you wouldn’t have to have him kill a cop at all.

Or, you could go with something like this idea, where the MC doesn’t know the cop is a traitor. Only, when he eventually finds out that he was, then he can use that to his advantage when they try to charge him with something. Pretend it was all a set up to prove the dead cop’s guilt and it went wrong and he had to kill him to save his own life or something.

What if you got the MC to somehow convince the villains to blow up the evidence? Just an idea :)

14. Samuel Lighton

I think the bigger question your edging at concerns the morality of the MC. I haven't read your work, so ultimately I couldn't give you a genuine suggestion regarding what the 'right' situation for him to be dropped in is, nor his reactions. You know your MC the best, he/she is your creation. What do you want to happen to them? A moral dilema? A physical crisis? How do you want them to grow, or change? These are all points you know yourself, and need to explore as well, as the answer has to come from you, otherwise it may not fit with the rest of your work. I am in no way suggesting you not ask for help, not at all, but consider your options within your story. I beleive we all channel parts of ourselves in our characters, so it's not a far stretch to simulate the character yourself, put yourself in their position, what would make them the most distraught, the most afraid, something that pushes them over the edge.

15. Ryan Elder

They still wear masks, because the cops just have three suspects, and they are uncomfirmed for being part of it. Eventually the police had to drop them after following them around and surveying two of them but they did not know the third. Only the MC knows the third, but he did not have any admissible evidence to make it official for an investigation, so he didn't bring the third up until now in the video.

But after the police had to back up after a while, the gang goes back to committing crimes, with masks on, in order to create deniability, since the police cannot prove that their two suspects are part of the gang.

What happens, is that other officers on the force, form a vengeful mob to go after the villains and kill them cause they believe that the MC was framed by them. So they want to avenge the dead cop. But if the MC tells the others that the dead cop was part of the gang, the officers who formed a vengeful mob, will dissolve, cause they will not care to avenge the dead cop if he was one of them, and a traitor. So the MC wants to keep the dead cop's guilt a secret, in order for the venegful mob to want to avenge him, and go kill the gang, which the MC thinks is a good idea.

But since the evidence points the the MC and not the villains, and an arrest warrant is out for the MC, cause of it, would the villains want to blow it up? If they do, then the police will not go after the MC for them, and get the MC off their backs.

I wanted to insert the quotes in between but how did you break up the quotes into different ones. When I hit quote, I can only quote the entire post. How did you break it up, if I may ask?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  16. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

How many people are involved in this gang? Do they always have just one person shown in their videos?

How have you planned on this ending for the MC? Is he going to get away with killing the officer, are the officer's true motives going to be brought to light eventually? And who do you want to eventually bring the villains down? The MC, or the cops? It would change how you want to go about having him plan his capture of them.

If you have vengeful cops going after the villains, then the MC has allies in his quest, so it makes sense for him to seek them out for help, and he wouldn't be working alone anymore. Are they going to believe he was framed because of the video the MC posted?

Well, the idea about the villains blowing it up would be something the MC could trick them into doing, maybe like at the end when he really needs them to stop coming after him and get them going after the villains instead.

When you quote a post, there are Quote tags that are at the beginning and end of the text. Anything inside those tags will be quoted, so if you only wanted to show a single line from a post, you delete everything inside the quote tags instead of that line. Then you can go beneath and type your response. To add another quote from the same post, you can quote the post again and do the same thing, or you can just copy and paste the tags and the text you want and make sure the text is in between the tags again.

So, if I wanted to show the first paragraph of the your previous post, it would look like this: (minus the dots, they just keep it from actually quoting you)

[QUOTE="Ryan Elder, post: 1411676, member: 70023".....]They still wear masks, because the cops just have three suspects, and they are uncomfirmed for being part of it. Eventually the police had to drop them after following them around and surveying two of them but they did not know the third. Only the MC knows the third, but he did not have any admissible evidence to make it official for an investigation, so he didn't bring the third up until now in the video. [/QUOTE....]

If I wanted to quote you again, I just need to start a new paragraph and put the parts that are in brackets in front of and behind the text I want to quote.

17. Ryan Elder

There is at least four in the gang for the story to work. There can be more but I haven't fully decided yet. As for the one person, the MC, posing as that person in a mask, explains that he feels guilty and wants to tell everyone who the other gang members are since things have gone too far, and that's his reason for only having one in the video. The MC could also ask his friends to pose as the others, if that's better.

I want the MC to get away with killing the officer somehow, since I wanted to be open to a possible sequel, and would like him to be free for that, if possible. I want the MC to bring the villains down himself, but he manipulates the other cops into doing so, starting by not telling them that the friend they are wanting justice for, was one of them. But I think he should manipulate the others, and play one against the other.

The allies only come in at the climax, though, he is still working alone in the sense that he has to manipulate them. Or he can have allies maybe. I was thinking they would believe the posted video that the MC was framed, and the MC would make sure that the video could not be traced back to him.

How could the MC trick the villains into blowing up a lab though, when the villains know it's the MC who the one is being charged cause they have evidence on him at the lab, and not of the villains. Unless you are saying the villains are not aware of this in your idea? Would the MC then wait till the blow up the lab, and then he would capture them and charge them with blowing up a police crime lab?

Thanks for telling me how to use the quote tag :).

18. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

I think the idea of pretending to be a gang member who's had enough works better. If the MC has friends collaborating with him enough to help him make the video, then he's got allies right at the start, so if you don't want him to have any help until later, you'd want to leave them out.

So these other cops are trying to clear the MC's name because they believe he was framed, but they don't know anything about the dead cops treason, right? Does the MC have a reason for the villains to want to try to frame him? Even if they have a video to look at, the other thing he needs is a motive. It makes it more believable. On that same line, why is the MC so adamant about catching them? Is this a personal thing between him and these villains?

In the idea, no, the villains wouldn't know the evidence was there. Maybe he could make them believe that evidence against them is in there. I think, though, he would need some help from his allies in order to make it happen. This would clear the MC, but I don't think that's where he should catch the villains. Maybe he should catch them in the act of their next crime, and then have the choice of either letting them kill the person, or letting them get away with an attempted murder charge.

No problem about the quoting, I hope it made sense :)

19. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks. After thinking about it though, I don't think the MC could trick the villains into blowing up a lab. Since all the evidence of the murder points to the MC, what motive do the villains have to blow it up?

20. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

If you don't think it will work out, you don't have to force it in. It was just an idea I thought you could toss around to see if you liked. If you wanted a reason for them to blow it up, it doesn't have to have anything to do with the MC. It could be a completely different problem they want to solve by destroying evidence, or maybe even killing someone who worked there, making it look like an accident, etc.

21. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks. Well I have been thinking about it. I don't think the police evidence idea is a good one, in the sense that I want the villains to be punished more. Not just for breaking and entering and attempting to destroy evidence, but something to equal their past crimes, such as the death of the officer, the MC accidentally. shot.

As far as what theme I am going for I want the MC to teach the justice system a lesson. Basically his message to the system is "If you would have done your jobs right in the first place, I wouldn't have been pushed to use unorthodox methods, which lead to the unintentional death of an officer. Now I am going to nail the villains for you and put you all to shame". That's his message to the system.

But I want there to be at least one backfire, which is the death of the cop, no one knows was complicate with the villains, or something along those lines. But I have a plot hole. Basically I need the backfire to be fixed by the MC in the end, so he can teach the system a lesson. He wants to teach the system a lesson by nailing the villains and being the victor though.

So how does it go from, being in trouble for killing a cop, to nailing the villains, and teaching the system a lesson by becoming the victor? Cause even if he nails the villains, he would still be in trouble for the officer's death before.

So I have to figure out a way, in which nailing the villains will cancel out the trouble he was in before, hence a buzzfire being fixed, instead of a backfire, that cannot be fixed. Does that make sense?

22. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

Would this have any effect on whether or not you're going to make the cop that was killed a traitor? If you leave it like that, then maybe you could make the MC (and everyone else) think that the cop was innocent, and then later he finds out that the cop was in league with the villains. I think this could be a way for the MC to have some sort of out to his dilemma. Everyone's after him because he killed this cop, but the MC can use the fact that the cop was a traitor to justify what he did. Once he finds the evidence that proves it, which would include evidence on the villains, he can use that to nail them and save himself.

23. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks. But I already thought of this and I don't think the MC can justify shooting the cop cause he was dirty. The dirty cop was not posing as a threat at the time, so wouldn't he still get into trouble since the cop was not a threat, when he shot him by accident?

Also, I want the MC to not tell anyone that the cop was a traitor at first. Part of his plan is to get the other cops worked up and go after the villains for the crooked cop's death. If the cops who are after they MC believe the other cop to be innocent, the MC can use this to place blame on the villains and get the angry cops to go after the villains for the death. But your way is interesting too, hmm.

In order to establish if your way will work, how can the MC get away with killing a crooked cop, when the crooked cop was not necessarily a threat at the time? It seems to me that maybe this could complicate things for the MC more cause now he has to prove it was self defense against a dirty cop, and he has to expose evidence on the villain as well.

I thought maybe it would be easier to frame the villains for the crooked cop's death, and that would be less work. The tricky thing, is how do you frame someone for murder, when the crime scene has already been investigated and the evidence points to you?

As for the MC finding evidence on the villains and evidence that shows that the cop was corrupt, I cannot think of any evidence that the villains would have to a reason to keep around though.

24. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

Why can't the cop be a threat? The only problem you'd have there would be to make sure that no one saw what happened who would testify. In other words, it was only the two of them getting into this fight with the villains. I wouldn't think there would be too many of them anyway, since the MC is going out of his jurisdiction here.

You can still have the good cops worked up to avenge the death of the dirty cop. The idea was that the MC save that information until the end. The evidence that the MC finds on the villains also nails the dirty cop. You could have this guy be the head honcho of these bad guys if you want, or just an informant or something. Anything that connects him to them.

Exactly what evidence is there that points to the MC? Fingerprints, weapons, witnesses?

The MC is going to have to find some kind of evidence no matter what path you chose to take him down. What is it that these villains do, what is their motive, their purpose? They would likely have some kind of record of their operations. If the dirty cop is with them, he might have evidence somewhere in his home or some place he goes to often.

25. Ryan Elder

Well maybe the cop can be a threat, but this depends on several factors.

I thought that the evidence that will point against the MC is a bullet from his gun in the dead cop's body.

I thought of having it so that the MC finds evidence in the dead dirty cop's place, but the evidence will not have been obtained through proper legal channels, and therefore likely be inadmissible in court.