1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

How can I write this scenario as more plausible?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Sep 9, 2016.

For my story, basically the villain plans to get off for his crimes in court, but he waits until the preliminary hearing before introducing evidence that will exonerate him. Then I wanted him to be a free man, for the time being in the story.

But I was told that this is implausible by a reader because if he waits to introduce evidence, he would be charged with obstruction of justice, for wasting the courts time, when he had evidence that could get him off. So if that's the case, how can I write it so that the reader will believe it, or how could I sell it better, than he does not go to jail on obstruction of justice crimes after?

2. karldots92

karldots92 Active Member

You could have someone else introduce the evidence like henchman or a family member. That way he wouldn't be accused of withholding evidence and would walk free

3. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks. This is what actually happens, he has a witness introduce it for him. But I was told it would be the same thing, and that him and the friend would be held in contempt and charged with obstruction of justice for taking so long and dragging it out, when they knew he was innocent all along. I don't want him and the friend to be charged though and want them to walk free, if that's possible.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose Active Member

with the strong proviso that i'm neither american nor a lawyer i'd suggest your friend is wrong, defense lawyers in fiction ( connelly, grisham, giminez etc) introduce exculpatory evidence in court all the time.. the usual rubric is that it has 'just been discovered by their investigator... its how courtroom drama works.

however your plot is implausible because if he has evidence proving his innocence then why the hell would he let the case go to court (given the cost,risk and stress involved)

bottom line though , as we may have said before - TALK TO A LAWYER , or preferably several lawyers, preferably those involved in either criminal defense and/or prosecution.

5. Ryan Elder

Well I could possibly write it so that the villains are let go by law enforcement much sooner in the story, long before it goes to work. However, it is a high profile media case, and I wanted the theme and the tone to reflect that. I wanted to have a lot of media, people, and protesters present outside of the courthouse, as the case went on for a day's worth of time, before the villains got off, with protesters and people ready to scream at them, as they leave.

However, could I have this same high profile media atmosphere outside of the police station, when the police are just interviewing suspects instead? Would the press and protesters show up outside of the police station, to broadcast the results of a police interview when it's finished, and question the people of interest coming out and freed, if the case was big enough?

6. big soft moose

big soft moose Active Member

if its high enough profile the media can get involved much earlier - look at OJ for example.. They won't get anything substantive from the police though except for a bland "we are pursuing serval lines of enquiry" fob off, at least until someone is charged

7. Nicola

Nicola Member

There's literally no limits as to how the villain could delay matters so you may need a twist. Throw in an ancient legal clause, an important document which is rushed to the court with minutes to spare and the judge in their discretion has to consider it or what if the villain is a master of hot-air talk, like a skilled politician (look at Marc Anthony's speech which turns the whole of Rome against Caesars conspirators)