1. MrPizzle

MrPizzle Member

How can you commit to writing a single story?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by MrPizzle, Oct 5, 2013.

I have 8 stories, each one unique and I keep swapping onto each one adding more additions as ideas pop up from time to time.

I have basic plots for each one but I love world creating which is what I've been doing all this time. I pretty much have my own dream settings ready to be played with: Fantasy, sci-fi, horror, thriller and fantasy/sci-fi settings, but as soon as I make a new change, I suddenly get a new idea for another one of my stories and proceed to continue with that until I have another idea for my other stories.

I'm making very small progress on each one but they are slowly growing into their own setting as I try to avoid typical settings and stories.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's normal to work on several stories at once. The issue is whether or not you're eventually finishing at least some of them.

Lifeline likes this.
  3. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I agree with this. For example, I've just sent off a book to agents, and I have another one in third-draft stage. Also, I'm on chapter four of a sequel and planning a fantasy book for NaNoWriMo. It is a lot of books to be working on, but I also read a lot of books at the same time, so that's just me. But I can, and do, finish them. As long as you are too, however slowly, then there's no problem.

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

I can handle some short stuff as I'm working on the longer ones, but I finish each short before starting the next. Some can do many things at the same time, others can't, but as already mentioned, the important thing is that you're actually finishing something.

5. MrPizzle

MrPizzle Member

It is good to hear that I am not the only one, I get all these ideas popping up from time to time and also there are so many influences.

I doubt I would ever publish any of my books, I just do it for fun really.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I have two novels and a novella on the back burner. I'm working on some related short stories and novelettes right now, and getting those gradually finished. I have a novelette and two short stories submitted to magazines now, and I'm hard at work on another novelette while I wait.

Like everyone else says, you can work on a lot of projects at once, so long as they eventually get finished. You'd be surprised at the number of writers (or people who call themselves writers) who happily work away for years on various things and never finish any of them. I guess, for them, finishing, submitting, and publishing isn't the point. They just want to live in their fantasy worlds forever, and that's perfectly fine, too.

:)

Mckk likes this.
  7. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

I work on multiple writings as well, albeit not always on paper.
    I do a lot of world building on my own time and sometimes I randomly get inspiration for something new and start slowly developing a new story.

Personally, I rather just work on one and commit all my energy to it when I'm actually writing however.

8. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I don't. I flip around almost constantly. I have 6 separate stories at any given time.

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm determined to get it done once I've started, but I like to work on more than one thing at a time. I'm at my best when I have two or three projects at the same time I find - but I get it done. It's just the way I am.

10. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Maybe I'm the only one lol but I only write one book at a time. This could be due to my lack of experience, I don't know, but I've never been good at multi-tasking. I feel that if I had a second project, I'd want to write that all the time. Maybe it's not true? Truth is, I've never tried doing two books at once. I'm starting to think that I should try it, because it's been 3 years and I'm still writing my first novel - it's getting there. For me, it's not an achievement if it's not finished - not properly anyway. And finishing is what matters to me. Having said this, I don't often get random ideas sprouting from my head, though I sometimes wish I did. Things never develop for me unless I put time to it to really think - it's rare that I'd get something complex through a strike of inspiration.

I mean, I have 3-5 different ideas, none of which I've developed or even thought about, but I remember them. The only one I actually think about, and write, is my novel, and I only have one of those. I fear if I didn't do this, I'd never finish, and like I said, finishing and publishing is my goal.

Basically, ideally, I'd like to start working on a second story around the time when I'd be editing my rewrite. But you know, it's been such a long time - 3 years! (I know a number of you have worked on your books far longer than this, but anyway, 3 years is a respectful length of time lol) - I feel like it's the only world I've ever been in, and now I know it so well, know my main character so well, I sometimes wonder what I'd do when it all ends. I'm already wondering if there's room for a sequel, just for the sake of continuing. Perhaps it could become my pet project lol - something done out of love rather than for the sake of publishing.

Lifeline likes this.
  11. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

I would never try to do two books at the same time either. Like I said earlier, I'll do some shorts while working on the longer one, but I have to finish each one of those before doing the next. Multi-tasking isn't, thank God, a prerequisite to being a successful writer. ;)

Mckk likes this.
  12. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

The same way you can commit to a single female. One day, you just know "this is it. This is the one." At that point, it just makes sense to set aside all other works and get the right one done ASAP.

13. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I have as of late come to this same frame of mind. There's a front runner, so to speak. The others might enter a different race some day, but not this one, not right now.

14. LeighAnn

LeighAnn Member

I allow myself to work on three projects at once. 2000 words a day on one, 2000 a day on the second, and 1000 a day on the third. This way I actually get work done while indulging my need to NOT work on the same project all the time. Everything gets finished in a timely fashion.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

other than a modicum of talent and good writing skills, the one thing every aspiring writer must have, in order to succeed, is 'self-discipline'...

that's how you make yourself do what needs to be done...

ILaughAtTrailers and jazzabel like this.
  16. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

I can't work on more than one story at a time, if I want to finish anything, that is. Can on a story and a poem, though.

17. Tara

Tara Contributing Member

At the moment I have two stories I really, really want to finish. I mostly write several pages of one story, lose inspiration and move on to the other until I lose inspiration for that one, then I work on the first story again. Not working on a story works for me if I'm stuck; after a few days I'm inspired again, by writing two stories at once I keep myself from not doing any writing at all.

I'm not sure if this is a good way to work though, but it doesn't really matter for me because I'm still in the trying-to-write-full-novels-to-improve-my-writing-skills stage.

18. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

If it keeps you writing, and more importantly, if it helps you finish your books, then it is good. We all work in different ways. Whatever works for you, works :)

jazzabel likes this.
  19. Prolix Plotbunny

Prolix Plotbunny New Member

Glad I'm not the only one with a bad case of the plotbunnies. (When all my efforts should be on a single story so I can meet my deadline)

20. Enigmaisme

Enigmaisme New Member

This topic may help give me focus. Thanks. For years I have written "chapters" involving characters that are developed as things go along. And while each chapter is a short story in itself, the urge is to put it together in a novel or two. But I write for fun and while many have told me I should write a book, if it is work I'm afraid it won't be fun.

21. Motley

Motley Active Member

I work on way too many things at the same time. My struggle is deciding which one to finish first, because if I don't finish anything (a problem I have), all that work is for naught.

22. Darrell Standing

Darrell Standing Member

Yeah that's true. But sometimes you can dig old stories out and use in them for something completely different or use good chunks of them where you think the writing is good. I always come back to my aborted stories every few months and see if I can do anything with them...

23. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

I'm only writing one thing at a time but i am always editing at the same time. I can sort of put a wall up between my writing habits and my editing habits and they don't interfere with one another. If it doesn't mess up POV, or tense, go for it. If you find that you are screwing up one story by working on another you need to reconsider your work habits. Spending all your time banging away at the same story can wear you out though, there's no dispute there.

24. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

I want to add that some may find it useful to have a "deadline".
    It doesn't have to be real, some people can pretend well enough for it to feel real.
    But I noticed that when I have to meet a certain date, I tend to focus on one thing more and get it done properly instead of loafing around with it.

25. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Contributing Member

I can't focus on one tale and I realized large works aren't my thing. So now I'm exploring the areas of flash fiction. I'm currently working on four series on a weekly basis.

I'm like you, OP, I like world building and universe creation. And I build more and more each day, one is just too little a number.