1. selador

selador New Member

A thicker pseudonym

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by selador, Mar 5, 2010.

Hello there fellow writers, I'm new here and I hope this is the right section for my thread.

I recently finished my first novel, and I'm starting to look into the publishing process. Of course it's more than likely that I will get rejected many, many times and maybe never get published, so take my little dilemma as a totally hypothetical matter. :redface:

Unfortunately, for complicated reasons, my family name could possibly put me in personal danger if it ever got in the vast public eye. More than anything, I'd battle with anxiety my whole life if a book openly bearing my name on its cover got published. When I was younger, I almost stopped writing because I felt it was useless, since the book would always remain on my bedside table. Furthermore, I'm not planning my life to be centered around writing (or maybe I do, but later on, since I'm just 22), and I have other professional goals along with the writing ones.

So, my question. I know that noms de plume aren't exactly bulletproof, but is there any way a writer could get a thicker shield? And if there was a way, would I face bigger legal problems too?

I guess I should contact a lawyer, but I was wondering if any of you had any insight on this :)

2. Spuddfluff

Spuddfluff New Member

Well if you where good enough to be published you would undoubtedly have fans and little information points to a pseudonym, and if someone where resourceful enough they could easily discover who you actually where.

Also the royalties would most likely be signed in your actual name as you cannot create and entirely new "person" the government has to know it isn't a real person.

I can't conceivably think why your name would put you in danger unless you where a well known serial killer. Even if you where a mobsters daughter there would be no way someone would be able to get enough information to endanger you through a book signing, they could find out who you where but nothing else, and if your that big a "target" they probably know enough about you anyway.

I wouldn't be worried about it, but if it is really bad can you post a brief description about what it is that would put you in this situation? I find myself intrigued.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If your name could put you at risk, the Internet is not your friend, even if you never publish anything.

If the content of your book, together with your family name, puts you at risk, then you should indeed contact a lawyer - or a Witness Protection program. :)

Any measures you take to separate your real identity from your book will certainly require the assistance of a lawer, either directly or through an agency that has experience in protecting people from various types of threats.

4. selador

selador New Member

Already been there, already done that, Cogito. I have some really weird backstory, but I'm not complaining. It's not inherent to this thread, but the life experience really helped me in my writing...and writing helped me turn my negative feelings into positive ones. I just wish I could see my work published and maybe help others through it :)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes... hie thee to an attorney! [one who specializes in literary law]...

with so little info, no one here can give you valid info... and if the danger is real, you shouldn't tell us any more than you already have...

love and hugs, maia