1. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

How detailed is the mold?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The-Joker, Oct 24, 2008.

I have a question. When you're writing your first draft of a book what sort of preparation do you do to assist you. As in the plot outline, like do you write out what each character is going to say in the scene, what kind of chairs are going to be present in the room, the type of painting hanging on the wall etc... or do you go in practically blind with something like, "John visits the rich man's mansion and demands his wife's whereabouts" ?

2. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

none....I go with the flow...I start with a initial issue and it rolls from there

3. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Go blind in minus the possible outline of course. It is the first draft after all. Everything else can be fixed on subsequent drafts.

4. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

It's like throwing a rock in a pond--the rock is a scene that I see in my head, and the ripples it makes are the events of the story, which go backwards and forwards from that scene. I write the thing that occurred to me first, er, first. If it seems like the story should go on from that point, that's how I write it, but the image itself is always part of a much-longer series of events.

Sometimes the visualization that I have will be as a result of "trying to think of something to write about", but more usually it's just a random image that pops into my mind.

Every so often the idea will involve something that I dreamed about, and then the writing about it will be more of a process of trying to fit a story to the image (which is hella fun). I hope this was helpful. yours in Chaos, Scarlett

5. captain kate

You and I tend to use the same style of creating for writing, Scarlett.

6. The-Joker

I cant do that. When I'm at my laptop I need a clear direction defined for me. Which is why I pen a beginning, a general course of events and a conclusion for every scene before I switch the computer on. But, almost invariably as soon as I start typing the script just falls into oblivion and my characters dictate how the scene unfolds, leading upto to that same conclusion just in a completely different way.

Still, if I didn't have a plan initially I'd spend too much of time writing and rewriting the first paragraph.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

There's more than one answer to these questions pointing me in a crooked line.
    The less I seek my source for some definitive, the closer I am to fine.

Closer to Fine ~ The Indigo Girls

My quote from the ever awesome Indigo Girls is to show that it doesn't really matter how you get to the end. There are countless books and 'experts' who will say, "This is The Way (Vienna Boys Choir in the background, please) you must use in order to blah, blah, blah."

Such nonsense.

If your way works for you, then it works for you! Nothing else matters.

8. captain kate

exactly, each of us have different ways of doing things...

9. The-Joker

Indeed but its always nice to know where others find their success

10. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I always found that it was easiest for me to plot it out, or I'd write a really short scene that appeared in my mind to begin with. Then I'd plot it out based on that, and go with the flow. My stories always stuck to a very strict plot outline though. It worked well for me and that was the way I did it right from an early age when I first began writing.

11. Silver Random

Silver Random New Member

As detailed as a piece of string.

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, of course. I must concede your point. Just don't get discouraged if you find that you are the only one who does what you do the way you do it. This is often the mark of genius. ;)

13. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Even without working in drafts (I try to get it right the first time), I basically work blind and plunge right into it. Even when I did outline it was just general scene ideas (more like your last example) and nothing nearly so detailed as your first examples. Something that detailed, to me, would be the story itself!

Granted, I've usually mulled over my story ideas for a LONG time before I start writing so it's not entirely blind. I do have a picture in my head, it's just that that's what it is, in my head. I like to be surprised as I go along. I would not write down what my characters are going to say long before they say it because it would go stale.

Obviously, it's different for others. Some people need outlines and that's just fine.

14. Fire of a Rose

Fire of a Rose New Member

Well, let's see here. I have a tendency to get some sort of random inspiration from something, and the idea for a book tends to just spring from that for me. I have a trillion notebooks with the first few chapters of a book in them. I tend to pick up on a few random details, too. Even in real life, I can remember the color of your shirt and how many bagels bites you ate, but not your name or your face. So, I tend to emphasize both the things I never remember and the things I always do in my stories, not always on purpose. I tend to start my stories from an image, or what I remember of it, then fill in the blanks and make it something special.

15. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I see a scene in my head and use that as a goal.
    I create vibrant chracters and let them figure out how they get there, just letting it flow. To me it just seems like you want answers for writting an actual script but I am not sure.

I say just keep writing no matter how bad and fix it at the end, I scrapped an entire begining before but the middle on was golden.

16. Honeybun

Honeybun Active Member

Actually, it sometimes differs as far as i'm concerned. i very often tend to write a few lines on paper, as an outline, yet, not in sequence of how the events are actually taking place in the story.

I also follow the blind plunge and it's a really exciting way of getting started.

Keep it up ;)

17. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

All my writing begins with a concept that is only good for a short story. As the complexity of the plot evolves, so goes the story. I do not use detailed summaries or outlines as they could limit my imagination. Same goes for characterization where I let the characters grow without limitations. In some cases, my characters "discover" things about their own makeup that they (nor did I, as the writer) did not envision before some conflict...makes for some fun in subplots.

18. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Horses for courses. Whatever suits the purpose. Listen, if it works for you, great. At least you'll be able to say you've tried it, and if it doesn't work you can always consider another avenue. Too many people try one way and then get all conflustered if problems appear. Open your mind and experiment. Try every way there is - dive in blindly and see where it brings your initial idea, or analyse your vision to the nth and work your way up each rung of the ladder. Either way you'll only find out which road is the one for you through sheer determination and perseverance. Too many 'writers' want immediate results. Blah! It takes WORK! If you're into it, well...enjoy.:)

19. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Usually i have an idea and sit at the computer and write for a night. Just on the top of my head. I used to write plot outlines and so forth but it always changed.

If i do, do anything i usually write down a small chapter outline of Point A,B,C,D and fcolour in between the lines.