How did you first get into poetry/writing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WhispWillow, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus Active Member

My love of movies actually was the biggest contributor to the start of my writing "career". From I was sixteen until I was nearly eighteen, I wanted to make a movie. I bought myself a cheap camera, got a few friends and family to act out roles, and made a rather lame attempt at an action movie. I came to the realisation that movies were expensive to make and that I would never make one good enough to send to a movie producer. So, I decided I'd write one instead. I started reading scripts on-line to see how they were done. After a few months, I was confident to write my own.

It never came to be, though. Something strange happened when I started writing the first few pages of that script. I realised that I had a love for writing, and that a script was not technically "writing". I changed my ideas completely, deciding instead to write a novel. About fifteen months later, I churned out the first draft and I haven't looked back since.

2. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I just always loved to tell stories. Even before I was in school, my family would sit around and I would make up stories on the spot (and yes, we had a television - it was just something we thought was cool :p)

I've tried my hand at almost all artistic pursuits at one time or another, but writing is the only one I feel I have any particular talent for.

3. EmmVeePi

EmmVeePi New Member

I suppose the same way that everyone here wont admit, I was forced to for school. But eventually I found myself writing more than I had to, and then I was writing simply to pass the time and soon enough for my own enjoyment.

4. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I didn't. I started writing before I even went to school.

5. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I alwyas loved reading and I'd always kinda liked writing stories, then in 6th grade we had to write a 16 page "book" and I had alot of fun and thought maybe it might be cool to become an author, and somewhere between then and now, especailly in eigth grade, I realized how much I loved it, and all of last year and this year it has become really big, with the help of my amazing past confirmation mentor who loves writing also. Shes like my personal editor :D

6. izzi

izzi New Member

I thought books were boring until I read the good ones.

Truthfully I'm much more an of an illustrator than a writer. (I wrote papers and essays in school, nothing of any merit.) However I created some characters to draw and then they would develop over time. Well any well-rounded character has a background which means they have a story. So I was inadvertently creating stories.

7. Frost

Frost Active Member

I wrote songs before I wrote poetry, and I wrote stories before songs. But I wasnt very good at stories and rarely write them anymore. Only songs and poetry.

8. Dice

Dice New Member

Well for me I started with a very poor attempt to write a pokémon story, getting the idea from a pokémon fan fiction, that was years ago
    Now it's because I have a lot of ideas, my imagination seems to run wild almost all the time and it's a very good, unrestricted outlet

9. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

My best friend at the time --six or seven years old-- loved to write, so I tried it for myself. Eventually, we started compliling our little stories, and we still have them saved somewhere in her basement, along with our Barbies and horse figurines. "Hi, my name is Julya, and I'm thirteen years old. I have strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes..." Thank Maude my writing has improved! :p I just continued from there. I've now graduated from thirteen year old characters to post-apocalyptic fiction and metafiction.

And as for poetry --I'm not much of a poet, though when I do actually write poetry, it does come rather naturally-- I remember being read a few of Frost's poems back in primary school and wondering if I could do something similar.