1. tiggz

tiggz New Member

How did you get your writing support group for critiques/ general writing chat?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by tiggz, Sep 8, 2014.

I've gotten serious about writing for the past year and I find it's getting frustrating not being able to talk about writing to anyone.

I'm a very shy person so I would prefer not to do a writing group in face to face. I would love to meet people online who would want to talk about writing and their works.

I tried Nanowrimo but it's more about the word completion than community.

How did you create your circle (or few friends) who help you discuss writing and your book(s)? Did you do it online and meet people that way?

I've sent out an invitation for this on a few forum sites for critiquing partners but no one has responded:(. I would love to know how other people did this as there are so many writers but it's surprisingly difficult to meet any.

2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Well here once you get 20 posts, have been on the site for two weeks, and made two constructive review of someone else's work you can post your stuff in the workshop and get critiques. Failing that you can go to the Beta reader sub forum and ask if anyone wants to read your stuff.

3. tiggz

tiggz New Member

Thanks!

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I too don't know any writers in real life, so I joined this forum. Writing is largely a solitary craft for me. I wrote a lot straight onto the internet, so for a few years I only had the audience's feedback, and it was pretty much instant. This for some reason never filled me with too much anxiety and I learned loads from my readers. Since I'm working on a novel intended for traditional publishing, my husband is my 'first pass' for critiques. He is a very discerning reader and has a good eye for detail. He never gives me banal compliments but helps me improve whatever I've got. But he is a fan of my work. My sister is my 'second pass' as well as people here or there. I put up pieces don't intend to publish, here in the workshop, to help me practice a specific skill I'm working on, but nothing for publication gets put on line. I don't know how I'd feel if I didn't have all that intense feedback in the beginning, though.

5. Harry Hogwash

Harry Hogwash New Member

What kind of stuff are you writing tiggz?

6. Joshua A

Joshua A Member

For me, I found that a small writing group in real life is what got me writing the most. It was at my old school, and it consisted(mostly) of fellow nerds and geeks and people who were also, mostly, shy about their work. We had all had a similar self-conscious streak.

I'd also suggest talking amongst people in the forums. That's what I'm doing --trying to get to know people. Ask around. Talk, chat, laugh, etc. That way, people know who you are and will be happy to read what you have, and give you what they have.

Just my (untrained) advice :)

7. tiggz

tiggz New Member

8. tiggz

tiggz New Member

Harry currently I'm writing a fantasy novel.

9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Meetup

What country/city are you in?

10. tiggz

tiggz New Member

Edmonton, Alberta Canada. But as I said I would prefer to do everything online and not face to face :p.

11. Jaro

Jaro Active Member

For me it's pretty much exclusively here. I'd love to do local writers meetings but every one that I have found localy meets late afternoons during the week, which is when I work.

12. HoraceCombs

HoraceCombs New Member

Hey, I am also shy by nature and don't like to meet people face to face. In that case this online forums and chat groups are helpful to get interected with peoples.

13. HoraceCombs

HoraceCombs New Member

Hey, I am also shy by nature and don't like to meet people face to face. In that case this online forums and chat groups are helpful to get interected with peoples.