How do _you_ plot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Justin Rocket 2, May 7, 2015.

1. ZYX

ZYX Member

I usually think of some vague scenes and characters that look cool, then I go into character development and worldbuilding and start the basic ideas of the plot. After that I try and kick off the plot and write with all the backstory and some idea of where I'm taking these fake people.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I start with characters, setting, and situation. I usually have a tentative idea of an ending, just so I have some direction for the story to go, but I fully expect that to change as I write. Then I just dive in and write, trusting that the muse will be with me.

I've tried working from an outline before, but it kills the joy of writing for me. If all the scenes are planned out ahead of time, then writing the actual prose is just boring drudgery. I have to be discovering my ideas as I go in order to enjoy the work and stay interested in it.

The main disadvantage of working this way is that my first draft is usually a formless mess, full of wrong turns and ideas that didn't work out. So there's a LOT of rewriting to do in the second draft. That's okay by me - I enjoy that kind of work - but I know some of you who plan everything in advance would probably hate it.
    :)

Viridian likes this.
  3. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

That's my telepathy at work. Then again, lots of stories can be considered "coming of age". Anyway, I hope your project goes well.

EdFromNY likes this.
  4. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

Nice Hemingway quote, by the way.

EdFromNY likes this.
  5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Thank you.
    And thank you.