1. ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●

● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ● Member

How do I bring myself to write after a big strain?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●, Apr 29, 2012.

deleted

2. Rika

Rika New Member

Hello, HeyHeyListen ^^

As the first thing I would say that you're NOT too young to write. I myself started to write stories...
    When was it? When I was about the same age you're now, three years ago. And I'm quite sure there are many
    people who started picturing plots in their heads then/now.

My advise is that you'd just write. Don't think too much and change things.
    If you save the first ones you have changed just a little and take a look at them after a year maybe,
    you'll see that you've improved.
    It's great actually now that I think of it. You made me think ^^

Today I read some of my writings I wrote last summer and it was fun to read them.
    Were they good or bad it's fun to write. Don't take it too seriously.

Hope I answered a question..
    Thank you for making me think. -R

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You will never improve if you don't allow yourself to fail. Each failure contains lessons that cannot be learned in other ways.

Your failures won't be the same ones everyone else experiences. Otherwise you could learn all you need from the mistakes of others. You can learn a lot from the mistakes of others, but there are so many such mistakes to make, you won't see them all in anything like the time frame you will by making your own mistakes.

At first, you will need others to help you find them. But with time and practice, you'll begin to be able to spot your own mistakes.

Begin, though, by letting yourself stumble. Be patient. Your writing will improve with practice.

4. superpsycho

superpsycho Contributing Member

Stop trying to be something or prove something to others. Don't try to be a writer or literary giant. Just set down and write as if you're telling your friends the story in a way they'll understand what you feel. As you write it. Imagine what they'd want to know, what questions would they ask. Then move forward from there. Find the mistakes in the writing, then make it better. Repeat until satisfied.

5. MissRis

MissRis Contributing Member

You are never too young to write. I have been writing fiction as long as I could write. It wasn't until high school when I took a writer's craft course as an elective that I really found that I was a fairly decent writer (based on the grades I received).

I'm a super perfectionist and it is hard to write when you are this way. You become over critical and over analytical of your own work and keep deleting. There will come a point when you just have to write, no matter how bad you think it sounds (it's usually never that bad). Also, I think all stories shift from when you first think them up. It's all part of the process. The only question you have to ask yourself is, is this the story I still want to tell? Is it more your teacher's story or is it still your ideas? This may be your problem. Criticism is hard, I also don't take it well, but I think you start to get used to it as it comes.

Keep writing, even when it's hard. I don't believe in writer's block and I think you just have to force yourself to put words on paper even if you end up deleting them all. There might be a good idea or a good sentence or two in that mess.

My favourite quote when it comes to writing is from Samuel Beckett: "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail better."

6. Ettina

Ettina Active Member

My brother is 14, and he's just gotten into writing as well. Although his stuff is all extremely short - poems and short stories.

Even if your writing isn't so good now, it will get way better with time. You may not even notice you've improved until you happen to compare your newer writing to your older stuff.

One thought is to start on a whole new story, so you don't have the baggage of your failed attempt. Later, when it's less overwhelming, maybe you could go back to your original idea. Or maybe you won't go back to it, but you'll write something else that's really good. The most important thing is to not give up.

7. killbill

killbill Contributing Member

Recently there was a forum thread on the topic "how bad was your first story?". Read that, it'll help. And yeah, you are never too young to write.

8. ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●

9. Mike Cornelison

Mike Cornelison Member

A lot of good advice here, hope you take some of it and just keep writing. If it's terrible so what? If you keep at it, two or three or five years from now, you'll have a good laugh and it will be fun to see where you came from. You may even find out you weren't as bad for a beginner as you thought.

10. Mark_Archibald

Mark_Archibald Active Member

When your young you have big dreams and want to accomplish them as fast as possible.

Remember that the writing you do now is not the best work you will ever do. That's not being hard on yourself, it would be a shame if the work you've done as a young writer is the best work you create. You have room for improvement and you have to make sure you are completed with the step you're on before moving to the next. You must be fully prepared for the challenges ahead, and do not advance if you're not ready.

11. ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●

deleted

12. angelicrock

angelicrock New Member

Sounds like you are letting yourself get in your way. I had the same problem when I was younger and even struggle with it now. What I like to do is write and then let someone else read it (usually my wife now) and then get an honest opinion/constructive criticism. Its one thing to think that your writing sucks, its another thing to understand why you think it sucks. Also remember that no one writes a Mark Twain novel on their first sit down. It takes time to get even a poem off the ground. I have poems I have written and revised 10+ times and I am still unhappy with them. You just have to keep going and if you truly enjoy it, you will get good at it.

13. LAHall

LAHall New Member

You seem like a wonderfully talented writer, especially for thirteen. Don't worry about failing, or about writer's block for that matter. I remember something a friend told me his professor said to him one day, "Sam," Sam was the kid's name, "I want you to know that there's no such thing as writer's block. There are moments when you're full, and moments when your empty. And when you're empty, go outside or watch TV or do something else, but when your full, Sam, when your full, I want you to write."

14. ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●

deleted

15. agentkirb

agentkirb Contributing Member

HeyHeyListen, first of all that's an awesome username. Pays homage to one of the best video game characters in history. Second of all... this point you made:

I think I can offer some words of advice here because this was an issue I've dealt with before. You aren't going to hit a home run on your first few tries. That first idea you have that you turn into a story... it will be solid writing, but probably not great. What you have to do is just keep writing and you get better. The first story you do probably won't be that great, but maybe the 11th one will. And the good news is... you can go back to your "bad" first stories after you've evolved as a writer and you can update them to make them great as well.

16. marcuslam

marcuslam Senior Member

I think it's so cool that you're starting to write at 13. Man, how I wished I could've begun that early. I started when I was 18. If you continue to write, by the time you reach 18, you'll have plenty of experience. With plenty more to come, of course.

Instead of worrying over being bad, it's good to embrace failure. You might think you're worse than everybody else. Even if you are, that just means you'll improve faster than anybody out there. Sit onto that chair, start typing and say to yourself, "All right, it's fail time. It's going to be awesome!"

17. Metus

Metus Senior Member

That used to happen to me constantly when I was about your age. There's no problem with changing your story a lot- it hasn't become less of a story, just a different one. Perhaps a better one. As for constantly writing snippets of nonsense. . . I still do that.:D

It's just that now, I can hold my attention on one thing for longer, even as I experiment with badly written snippets on the side.

How good of a writer you are depends on how much you write and how much you push yourself. If you write for a long time but never try to improve, you will simply reinforce bad habits. If you really push yourself for just a few weeks, you won't notice much of an improvement. Ultimately, your problems can be solved by a lot of difficult practice and research of writing tecniques. It also helps to try to find an original idea as possible, with as unique of characters as possible. I find that I flip-flop and flounder the worst when my story is so similar to another story that I mentally compare the two.

18. Metus

Metus Senior Member

That might be part of your problem- I can't speak for you, but everything I write when I'm tired just sucks. :)

As for the bit about writers block. . . there are no criteria to being a writer, though it's refreshing to see someone humble about their skills for once. If you write, even if you don't write well, you're still a writer. Seeing as you signed up to a writing forum to help imrpove your writing ability, I'd classify you as quite a determined writer.

1 person likes this.
  19. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

I've never been a fan of "binge" writing. When I do that, my project goes from a story to several lines of "blah, blah, blah... I don't know what to write and typing this out isn't helping me at all..." Those are the times that I switch to plot outlining or editing what I already have. Also, I know the feeling of not recognizing your own story. Writers seem to be an odd blend of egotistical and self-conscious; we want to show off our work, but only if people will like it! The nice thing is that because it's your story and your world, you get to pick and choose which pieces of criticism you want to incorporate into your story. Not everyone recognizes the things that make a story good or bad, so don't take everyone's criticism to heart! Best of luck :-D

20. ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●

deleted

21. ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●

deleted

22. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

I know that age should not be a factor in writing but I feel the need, in this case, to point it out: you're thirteen. You can't expect to be writing high-quality, publishable stories yet because you're simply lacking the writing experience needed to reach that level. Don't focus on writing a "good story" - just focus on writing a story. Any story. Don't over-think it - just go. Focus less on how the ideas sound and whether or not your writing is "sucky" and instead just write. Write everyday. The only way to improve is to practice. To practice you need to actually write rather than fret over the outcome (have you heard the phrase, "you can't edit a blank page"?). Don't think about who will one day read it or what someone else thinks of your ideas -- by the way, I actually agree with your teacher on the ideas/text comment -- and instead just go ahead and write the damn story.

23. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

It sounds like these characters will change quite a bit throughout the story as they interact with each other, that they need each other to develop. Just curious, is this what your story will be all about? Are they breaking social norms by hanging around each other (upper city residents with lower city residents)? I guess I'm just not seeing conflict and theme here, but you've got a nice gaggle of characters to work with, so that's good!

24. ● HEY! HEY! LISTEN! ●

deleted

25. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Sounds like you've got going since you first started this thread :) Congrats! Sounds like you got loads of ideas. Don't worry too much about whether it's good/bad/original/whatever. If you enjoy it, write it. I was banging out stories too at your age, most of what I wrote was, well, not publishable, certainly lol, but that didn't matter. I thought they were all excellent at the time, but I never showed anyone.

In a way, I protected myself from criticism because I wasn't ready yet - I believed my work was great and I needed to believe it to carry on, and I just loved it. I felt shy and embarrassed at the very thought of showing it to anyone. I just indulged myself and wrote and wrote and wrote and wrote. But there's nothing wrong with protecting your writing and yourself by keeping your work to yourself for a spell of a few years while you grow, or find only one or two most trusted confidantes to look over your work, whom you know will give feedback in a gentle, sensitive and constructive manner, who already appreciates you talent and potential. But don't show the world just yet - keep it to yourself, close to your heart, while you nurture it so it can be ready to show off to the world.

And now I'm working on my first novel at 24. I've been told by writer friends and the editor I hired that I write well - I'd like to think that since this editor is gonna recommend me to his agent friends once he's done with my MS that he actually thinks I have potential and it's not the money talking. I'm not afraid to show it to people anymore - not as much - but this confidence is built, it doesn't just come. And it's built from writing and writing and writing more, because without writing, you'll never improve.

So if you're not "there" yet, just keep writing and believe that one day, you'll get there, and you'll be the best writer there is, and your books will be read and loved by hundreds, maybe thousands, and if you're really successful, millions.

Believe it.