1. Mr. Jameson

Mr. Jameson New Member

What do you think of these two names for my MC?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Mr. Jameson, Dec 13, 2013.

Hi everyone!

I've been following the forums for some time and finally decided to join in.

I'm writing some fiction at the moment, based around the life of a fashion design genius (think Ralph Lauren / Giorgio Armani) and how his life changes for the worse after getting involved with drugs, etc.

I'd greatly appreciate some opinions on the two names that I'm considering, do you think that they match my character well? Also which one do you prefer?

The names are:

YANNI KAZAN

and

ELI WREN

2. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Personally, I prefer Eli Wren, but in the end it's your story so the final name is up to you!

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yanni Kazan looks like a product name. It doesn't feel real. Too contrived and it has too much purposeful flow. Let that be his fame name and his real name will be Robert Wojciehowicz. ;)

Simpson17866 likes this.
  4. mg357

mg357 Active Member

i also like Eli Wren very much.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

They're just names. And I know nothing about your character. No one does, not like you do.

Pick a name. Any name will do, but it's better to choose one unique enough for a global replace in your word processor. You'll have plenty of time to change the name if you come up with a name you like better.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  6. Dazen

Dazen Active Member

They're just names. A name rarely conveys a character's emotions, backstory, personality. So, IMO, it's always best to just choose a name, any name that comes up.
    Of the two names, in terms of which name "sounds" better, I would say Eli Wren, but it usually has no relevance to the chraracter's personality; at the end of the day, it is just a name. And, anyway, you can always change the name at a later date!
    Pick a name. Then you're good to go :)

Simpson17866 likes this.
  7. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Any name will fit whatever character you give it. Names to us get their meaning from the person they refer to, and it's the same in books.

Eli Wren does have an odd note of familiarity to it, though. It's not, AFAIK, been used before, at least not by anyone famous, but it feels like I've heard it before. It is a good-sounding name, but, as I said, any name will look good on the wearer because they mould it to fit.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  8. Claire A.

Claire A. New Member

I really like the name Yanni, but in my opinion, you should change the last name. I like the way it sounds. :)