1. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

How big is this area?

Discussion in 'Research' started by KP Williams, Feb 26, 2011.

Google fails me, or I have failed it; I have no idea how to word this in a search, so I'm asking it here.

Below is an image of the Mediterranean Sea. You'll notice how I've highlighted two specific parts of the sea with red boxes. What I need to know is approximately how big of an area those boxes represent, preferably in kilometers. I'm looking for a straight length, not surface area. Also, if anyone could answer the same question about the western half of the Black Sea, that could be helpful too. And finally, are there any islands in these selections? Are they inhabited?

I'm looking for a span of sea at least 1000 km in diameter. Somehow, I get the feeling that none of my options are that large.

[​IMG]

2. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Hi

My geography is somewhat lacking, but I'd judge your smaller square to be around 300 x 300 miles, with the larger square being around 400 x 400.

But I'm sure that some more learned forum member will come along with a more accurate measurement soon.

3. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Google SEARCH may have failed you, but there is a handy tool attached. :D

[​IMG]

Go to the maps and use the scale thing in the corner.

4. Anonym

Anonym New Member

Measuring the distance from Sicily to southern Greece on google earth, it appears to be around 500km, similar in distance from Crete to Cyprus, & of the diameter of the 'west half' of the black sea. Far less than 1000km.

Sorry, hope it helps.

5. KP Williams

Thanks for that. I don't know why Google Maps/Earth never occurred to me. I even have Earth right on my desktop. >_<

That what I was afraid of. It's about half the size I was hoping for... A bit of a problem for me, but not an impossible one. Sounds like my fictional island needs to be 150-160 km in diameter... Another story. Thanks for the help. :cool:

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

most maps have a scale... don't you know how to use one, kp?... you don't even need a ruler... just mark a scrap of paper with that scale and then put it against the area you want to measure...

i don't even go to that little bother... i just put my thumb, or a pen/pencil against the scale, hold a fingertip at a size mark and then measure with that...

7. KP Williams

This map didn't have a scale. :p I just did a Google Image search for "world map," and every map I saw that had a scale on it was too small for me to get a good measurement of the Mediterranean. To give you an idea of how large of a map I was looking for, I specifically needed to see Santorini (or Thera, if you like), which is a relatively tiny volcanic island mixed in with a bunch of other tiny islands. On the map I gave, Santorini is the tiniest dot visible directly north of Crete.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

then you need to be more creative with your googling... i just googled for 'map of santorini' and got one with a nice scale right down in the lower left corner... and you can adjust the area of the map at will, zooming out or in...

are you simply googling on the web?... you need to go to 'maps'...