Tags:
  1. elmarko98

elmarko98 New Member

Style How do I fix my writing voice?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by elmarko98, Oct 28, 2014.

I really need help with this, I'm sixteen and I've writing for three years and it's only recently that I realised my writing sucks. I can think up a good story and I enjoy writing it but I just can't seem to not make it cheesy and sound rubbish. I know I've got better at it because looking over my old work makes me want to scream while looking over my current work only makes me shiver slightly in revulsion. But it's still rubbish, am I just bad at writing and it'll always be that way or can I make myself better?

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

Keep writing and maybe show your work to other people beside yourself. There is always a slightly possibility you are misjudging yourself.

3. elmarko98

elmarko98 New Member

I've shown people my work before and they all said it was good but I can never tell if its true or not, you know?

4. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

Read a lot more. You'll form your own voice from the best of what you read, and you're still at a good age to do so. I grew up largely on King, Critchon, and Atwood, so I'm pretty much stuck with a bastard of their common-styled prose.

Eventually try taking apart what you read:
    -See what the pro's sentences look like when taken completely out of context.
    -Count varying sentence structures like comma usage and noun/verb repetition.
    -Ask yourself how many times a literal definition is used as opposed to a symbolic or ambiguous one.
    -Look for assonance and dissonance.
    -Read their work aloud, then read your work aloud.
    -Go nuts.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You're still very young. Developing your writing skills takes time. In fact, you'll spend your whole life learning how to improve your writing. Keep practicing and keep reading, and you'll improve as the years go by.

6. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributing Member Contributor

Keep practicing - but trust your readers (assuming you have good ones). If you can, try going to a writing group which will give you a variety of readers - that will give you a better (though still imperfect) view of your strong and weak points. Case in point - some of what I think is my best stuff gets a resounding "meh" from the writing group - and they go totally nuts over some of the stuff I think is utter garbage.

Most people (self included) aren't the best judges of their own work - especially when they think it sucks.

7. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

As others have said, keep reading and keep writing. When it comes to the writing part it might help to try and write different texts with different approaches, just to try out some varying styles. See what you like and consider how you can use those parts to improve your general writing. And do some more reading atop of that.

When it comes to letting people read your written words, people you know will probably not always tell the truth (they tell you want they think you want to hear, and not what you really want, two things that might not always be the same). See if you can find some impartial reviewer, either in your immediate environment, or here on the forum. If you don't want to post your story where all can see it (i.e. in the Writing Workshop), you can always ask someone for a private review (try with some of the people who has yellow "reviewer" banners under their names, they're a pretty nice and helpful bunch of people).

karmazon likes this.