1. shell18

shell18 New Member

How do I plug my company's name in a book I edited?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by shell18, Jan 3, 2008.

I edited a book for a client last year. She was pleased with my work and came back for me to do the accompanying workbook, which required the creation of numerous exercises. I would like to get a plug somehow for my business. Any suggestions for where the plug can be and how I can approach her about it? I had a plug in the book, but she removed all plugs for the workbook.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Shell18,

Is there a reason she removed the plugs?

If you (your company) are being paid to edit, and the contract doesn't stipulate an advertisement of your company somewhere in the text, I would think it's up to the author of the workbook. It may be an issue you'd want to take up next time when coming to agreement before starting an editing job rather than after.

There is really not an easy answer to this (like I'm telling you something you don't know). While this depends on your working relationship with the author, my recommendation would be to be straight up, and ask her if she would keep a reference to your editing company in the book. She may say no (and removed those advertisements/plugs you inserted in the workbook) for a variety of reasons.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe someone else can.

Terry

3. shell18

shell18 New Member

The plug not only listed my name, it listed the name of everyone in her "team." She didn't offer an explanation beyond that she just wanted it to read "Thank you to my entire team." I think you're right in that this is a lesson learned for the future, as this was not in the contract. It didn't even occur to me because the plug was in the book. Next time I'll know how to handle it. I'll still chat with her about it, though. I don't think I have anything to lose.

Thanks for your help!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It sounds like you really should consult with a contract lawyer on this. I would probably put that information in an Acknowledgments page, but I don't know whether you have any recourse if the client edits it out.

5. Axis

Axis New Member

That's my feeling as well. And I agree that you need to be straight up and ask for an acknowledgment. If you've done good work, I can't see why the author would be upset with that.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i agree that all you can do at this point is ask... to reiterate what others have said, you were paid for your work and your contract did not include having a credit or acknowledgement included, so she can say no with a clear conscience... next time, just make sure you include that in your contract...

that said, don't be surprised if that clause will be rejected or you lose clients if you insist on this... many who have to pay an editor don't want their public to know that, preferring to give the impression that they're such good writers they didn't need one... and they have every right to do so...

bottom line here is, is it worth it to you to give up good fees just because the clients won't give you credit in print for your work?... an editor's job is an invisible one by its very nature, so if you want credit for your work, you'll need to be a writer, not an editor...

love and hugs, maia