1. K~la

K~la New Member

Bad advice

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by K~la, Nov 30, 2007.

I'm just wondering if anyone else here is in the same boat. I try to participate with reviews as much as possible, instead of just posting my own work or sticking to the contests (which I kind of do). I just find it hard to say the right things a lot of the time, and worry that I'm giving the wrong kind of advice. :confused:

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

When it comes to reviewing all you can do is give your opinions on where you feel it needs work and so forth.

Your opinions are never really wrong, just different. It is good to get advice and all that from as many as possible whether it is correct or not. All you can do is what you are doing adn if they use your suggestions then that is great, if not at least you have given them. Don't doubt yourself as you may just give someone the best advice they have ever been given and exactly what they need to fix something. :)

3. K~la

K~la New Member

I guess so. After all, I don't think many of us here claim to be professionals, right?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Whatever advice (i.e. opinion) you offer, it remains the author's choice whether to accept it.

One reason we encourage writers to place their revisions as follow-up posts in the same thread, so other people can see the before and after versions and judge for themselves if accepted suggestions really do result in an improvement.

Never argue with a reviewer, though. If you want to explain something you were trying for, that's one thing, and maybe reviewers can help you make the intent clearer.

Likewise, when reviewing, try not to get pulled into a debate. Your goal is not to force them to see your point of view, but to offer suggestions and alternatives for them to choose from.

5. K~la

K~la New Member

Ok, that clears things up. As long as no one is expecting it to be completely professional all of the time. We can all make mistakes.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I cannot speak for everyone's expectations. But I often point out that my comments are my opinion, and not based on any special qualifications.

BTW, I'm going to move this thread over to the Writing Issues->Reviewing forum. Thanks for bringing it up, it was a good question that I think many members will relate to.

7. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

When I'm reviewing a piece that I enjoyed reading, I try to pull it apart, analyse things that could be changed, pick up any SPAG errors and maybe alter a few things that don't sound quite right. Then I'll do my best to justify the changes I've made, give my opinion on the piece and state my personal comments :) I hope that helps a little bit.

As a side note, when reviewing a piece that I thought was no good or couldn't get into, I'll say so and suggest what could be improved and then finish with something I enjoyed about the piece :)

8. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Sounds like the best way. I guess Reviewing is sometimes over looked in the world of writing but seems as every bit important to writing as poetry fiction etc

9. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

One thing you can do if you are really unsure is simply say whether the flow has any issues at all. Was it stunted? Blocked? Smooth and consistant?
    Maybe say about the title. Did it go well with the piece? Is it too abstract?
    Was the ending any good? Did it wrap it up nicely? Was it left open for more? Maybe it was dull and trite or too exciting?

Every little thought counts. Even if you cant say what you didn't like, say what you do with more detail and thought and even that can help out a writer with their piece or later pieces.