1. Anonymouzz

Anonymouzz New Member

Using A Basic Plot Structure

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Anonymouzz, Apr 7, 2017.

I'm usually a "Pantser" when writing a story but i often find myself derailing off the story tracks and be in need of a outline to help keep me focused. So i researched for a basic plot structure and wanted some opinions on using it.

This is the basic plot structure i found:
    1. Exposition
    2. Inciting Incident
    3. Sub-Plot
    4. Plot Point 1
    (Obstacle)
    5. Sub-Plot
    6. Plot Point 2 (Mid-Point) (Plot Twist/Twist)
    (Obstacle)
    7.Sub-Plot
    8. Plot Point 3 (Disaster)
    (Obstacle)
    9. Sub-Plot (End)
    10. Plot Point 4 (Crisis)
    (Obstacle)
    11. Climax
    12. Resolution
    13. Conclusion
    END

Its pretty straight forward and easy to follow where i can easily fill out each step with my story.

What do you guys think of this Plot Structure?

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

It's a take on the 8 point story arc (or 7 point) to me (cue copy and paste):

• Stasis
    • Trigger
    • The quest
    • Surprise
    • Critical choice
    • Climax
    • Reversal
    • Resolution

• Hook
    • First Plot Point
    • Pinch Point 1
    • Mid-Point
    • Pinch Point 2
    • Second Plot Point
    • Resolution

They're banded around a lot still and I get it—the longevity, I think, is because it summarises the expectation of the reader. And so for the new writer it's a safe line to tread.
    That av. reader (experiencer of any story form really) too will have had a lifetime of conditioning from this formula which I guess, abets its perpetuation.

I'd say cut your teeth on the above and, in time, if you (being a confessed pantser) feel the need to stray; at least you'll have a sense of what you're straying from. I climb outside the parameters a fair bit nowadays, drawing mind mappy type diagrams and sometimes herringbone looking things. I tag my scenes and timeline to them and feel it quite refreshing to do so.