How do I start...?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ArcticPhoenix, Apr 22, 2013.

1. ArcticPhoenix

ArcticPhoenix New Member

Agreed. I love thinking up scenarios for various characters, too. I find that how someone acts in certain situations, especially ones that put them under tons of pressure, naturally lets us know a lot about their true selves, and how that differs from how they project themselves for other people to see (conscious facade).

I usually never do, but I guess if one day I sit down and try to write out these scenarios I often just let run around in my head, it'll be a start towards me doing more free writing. =)

On the subject of handwriting - Alright, not completely discarding that, haha.

Stukov - The idea that you don't need to know EVERYTHING about your main characters before starting a story, actually, was always dismissed by a couple of books I've read on building characters, as well as a writer friend that I trust. Now they both present good arguments to back their claim, so I fully believed them, and while figuring a lot of things out about your mains before you have a story can have its big advantages... after doing it for a while, I can say that it creates its own pressure. And burden. And sometimes puts you off completely from working on a very young story.

So, I want to thank you for presenting me with your very much refreshing view, Stukov.

2. Stukov

Stukov New Member

You're very welcome. Just remember that nothing anyone tells you about writing should be taken like gospel. They might be highly intelligent people whom you trust very much, but ultimately they're just giving their opinion on what works for them. Always take any advice you're given on how to write with a pinch of salt, and figure out what works best for you.

3. Thornesque

Thornesque Senior Member

This, exactly.