1. Wolf Daemon

Wolf Daemon Active Member

Short Story Short Story Book/Novel?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Wolf Daemon, Mar 15, 2016.

So to give a background of what I am talking about:

Currently I am working on a novel (a stand alone that I hope will be good enough to be made into a trilogy (Already have the ideas for the next 2 books)) and I created this giant universe for it which is OUR universe. I started working on it back in 2014 (started developing the universe at the end of 2014 to be more specific) and basically have a timeline that stretches a thousand or two thousand years into the future (don't have the timeline on me at the moment) and the first book starts at the end of the time-line.

Anyway while I have been working on this book and the outlines for the next too I have also been writing the occasional short story that takes place in my universe to get my mind going. I was wondering if there is a way to possibly make enough to where I have a book full of short stories from my universe for readers to get a good look at it in its many different years and such.

Also a secondary question is: How do you name your universe(s)? Right now it is called The Darkness Plague Universe after the plague that broke out at the end of my timeline but it seems like a bad name for the overall universe.

So to put it simply:

1) Can I publish a book filled with short stories that take place throughout my universe

&

2) What can/should I call my universe/How do you find a name for your universe?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

1) Yes, you can definitely do this. There are lots of fantasy anthologies and collections that do precisely this.

2) I can't help with the naming. I'm not good at naming things. I don't care for The Darkness Plague, personally. It makes me think of the Spellplague, which I also didn't like. And I don't care for naming the whole universe after a single event at one point in the timeline. But that's just me; others may like it.

Wolf Daemon likes this.
  3. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

I am curious why would your universe have a name? Is it part of a multiverse or are you simply trying to separate it from our own universe despite saying it is "OUR" universe? If the environment is a multiverse and the inhabitants know about the other universes, they might call it the First Universe sort of a Copernican concept.

Michaelhall2007 likes this.
  4. Wolf Daemon

Wolf Daemon Active Member

To differentiate the universe. There is the DC universe, Marvel Universe (basically giant universes where the respected people write stories in) When writing a short story book I would like to call it _____ universe. It's not for "in universe" use but for ME to talk about and for my grungy-verse to have a name, something people will know it by/make it easier for me to title books.

tonguetied likes this.
  5. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 New Member

Stan Lee didn't wake up one morning and say I'm going to create a universe and I'll call it The Marvel Universe.
    I think it was his fan base that named it to be honest.
    He got up and made a number of successful comic heroes set in the same universe.

That's the hard truth, I'm afraid.
    But I'm sure you can come up with something better than one with a deadly disease attached to it.