How do I take care of a cat???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alesia, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Patra Felino

Patra Felino Active Member

I've just done a little internet browsing, and it seems that there's a significant cultural difference between the US and Europe regarding the indoor/outdoor cat question. The vast majority of British cats, for example, seem to be outdoor (I'm British), compared to a far lower percentage of American felines.

I guess I'm basing my argument on the fact that it's more natural for cats to go outside: they didn't evolve in houses and apartments, and they will certainly instinctively desire a large territory. I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert though, and can see the pros of keeping them in.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

No. They have been domesticated, and although their domestication is much more recent than that of dogs, the fact is that they are, and as such have become pets. When we keep them as a pet, we agree to provide their food and shelter, which means they do not have to do it themselves. My cats have been perfectly happy to remain indoor cats, living a life of leisure.

There is some validity to the idea that keeping animals locked up in any manner is akin to putting people in prison. But if that is your philosophy, you should have no pets whatsoever, and should not patronize zoos or any wildlife parks. You should not even have an aquarium of fish.

It's simply not fair to the neighbors to have your pet become a neighborhood pet. When I was a kid, one of our neighbors had an outdoor cat, and this cat really was a menace. It would eat and pee in neighbor's gardens, it would dart into houses when doors were opened, and when you'd try to catch him, he might scratch or bite. This is not fair to the neighbors. One of our neighbors now has cats that she allows to roam outside, and these cats are constantly in our bushes, in our yard, and even in our garage. One of them could easily get trapped in the garage or run over. And one of her cats was just at the vet and is wearing a cone collar for some unknown injury to his shoulder. They don't know if he was in a fight or was simply injured.

3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

That is, indeed, my philosophy. Though I have this personal struggle because I hate to see pets locked up, and yet I love to have them myself. Our cats have their freedom and life, but we have other animals as well which I'd love to give more freedom (which I can't) yet I can't give them away either (because I love them, and because it would mean a negative impact on the animals psychologically).

I think I mentioned somewhere in my previous post about asking the neighbours about having a cat around...
    Also, maybe it is like @Patra Felino said, that outdoor cats are more accepted in Europe? Maybe we don't mind as much to have pets walking around?
    (I hope I'm not mistaken about your living in America, if I am then please correct me, chicagoliz).

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I will say exercise caution about feeding your cat dry food. In fact, I would keep it only for emergencies, if you're likely to be away all day, or something like that. Apparently dry food does cause kidney problems in cats. A friend of mine has a cat which has just suffered this, and has had to go on a special diet. My own beloved cat Squash died at the age of 17 from kidney problems, which the vet told me was likely down to eating dry food.

I would say NEVER—not even once—feed your cat from the table, because begging will become an issue. However there is nothing wrong with feeding it the same kind of meat you're eating, chicken, fish, whatever ...just make sure it's in the cat's dish, and that the cat gets it before you do. Read up on kitty nutrition. Sometimes this kind of feeding can be cheaper than buying the canned cat food (and is probably healthier all around as well.) Cats are small creatures, and are hardly likely to eat you out of house and home.

As for toys ...well, my cat's favourite toys were 1) a paper bag, 2) a cardboard box she could crawl into, and 3) an old, untreated wool mitten which she loved to disembowel. I bought her catnip mice, which interested her briefly, then not. Her favourite 'high' was having a green pimiento-stuffed olive to play with. She would bat it around, roll on it, go crazy for a little while, then eat it. Weird. Of course she loved having a ball as well, as long as it was lightweight and easily batted around. Ping pong balls were her favourites, as they made a cool scratchy sound as they rolled and bounced around the floor.

Of course if you play with your cat yourself, anything goes. Mine loved chasing string, beams from a flashlight, and even me. We played hide and seek a lot, and she 'got' the idea of the game. I never stopped playing with her and she remained playful up to the last few months of her life ...which I now know were probably uncomfortable for her, due to the kidney disease.

My cat taught herself to use a kitty litter box ...she was so tiny when I got her she couldn't actually climb into one, so I gave her a cake pan instead! For her entire life, she NEVER made a single mess in the house.

Actually she did not see the outdoors as her toilet at all. Often when I let her in, she'd immediately streak off to the kitty litter pan, as if she'd been holding it in for a while. God knows what would have happened if I'd not let her in quick enough!

Discipline is simple, if you start young. Cats are generally pretty well behaved anyway. Like with children, cats need to know you mean what you say. Keep rules simple and few, but insist they are followed. The suggestion of a squirt of water and/or a spray of water is an excellent one. Cats, unlike dogs, aren't interested in pleasing you. They need to be made uncomfortable before they'll desist with bad behaviour. They don't much like loud noises (like claps) so that can work as well. Or removing them from the room and putting them somewhere else they don't much want to be is another option. Just stick to your guns and you will win.

All cats love to have a nice warm place to lie and sleep. They love being able to see outdoors at the same time, so a bed set at window level is ideal. Especially a window where 'stuff' happens.

Squash was an indoor-outdoor cat, but we lived in a place that had woods behind the house, with plenty for her to do without annoying the neighbours. She always headed off into the woods, and messed around in there, climbing trees, doing whatever. She was always within earshot, though, and would always come quickly when I called her. Male cats are more inclined to roam, I think. Certainly the two male cats we had when I was growing up did. And both eventually disappeared, never to be seen again.

She remained affectionate her whole life, but wasn't a particularly needy creature, and was perfectly happy to be on her own as well. She was an ideal cat, and I miss her a lot ...and she's been dead for over 20 years.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Grow some grass in a pot inside that they can chew on and eat. It helps their digestive system. Of course I mean real grass, not the kind you smoke.

6. chicagoliz

@Komposten I am American, you are correct. And there certainly are Americans who are hell-bent on allowing their cats to roam. All I can say is that I've read multiple times and always heard from vets that cats are healthier when they're kept inside, less susceptible to disease or injury and have longer lifespans when they are kept as indoor cats. Some neighbors don't mind if cats leave feces in their children's sandboxes, or run into their homes. I think it's important to consider, though, that some do. And I love cats.

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

This is going under the faulty assumption that domesticated cats retain their ancestor's traits - they do not. They are no better equipped to survive in the wilderness than any other mammal who has never been living in the wilderness. If they were, I would not see starving cats wandering the roads during the winter - or their smashed bodies on said roads. Cats - as do any pet - deserve to be cared for, not let loose to take their chances. And good neighbors do not foist their animals on other people. If one is going to have pets, accept the responsibility of their care. Otherwise get a stuffed animal.

chicagoliz likes this.
  8. Komposten

I didn't actually know about vet recommending the indoors for cats, though I can fully understand the bases for the reasons you mentioned. Though, as I said earlier, our cats have never got anything worse than a few scratches when being outside (and maybe a cold every now and then, or something like that). And yes, always make sure the neighbourhood would accept a cat before letting one loose.

@shadowwalker I agree that they do not keep all their ancestors' traits, but as far as I know domesticated cats do still love the thrill of hunting a bird or a mouse through a forest or plain (or a backyard for that matter). You might be able to substitute it with toys for a while, but eventually the cat will learn that its all a game. Our cats don't play much anymore, but they still hunt when they are outdoors.

9. chicagoliz

The hunting is the biggest issue. A few years ago, I read about some kind of real intense fight -- I think it was in Texas. It was bird people versus cat people. Apparently, a lot of cats were killing a lot of songbirds, so the bird enthusiasts started KILLING the cats. This made the cat people angry, and it went from there. Since domestic cats don't need to hunt for food (and often don't even eat what they have killed, or nearly killed), they really don't need to be outside.

I get that there is some thrill and joy in being outside, but I think it's outweighed by the other considerations. There are, after all, plenty of things that I myself would like to do, but don't.

10. Komposten

Okay, I declare myself as beaten. I've run out of things to say and I know of no strong positive stories about outdoor cats ( :( ), so we might as well give the thread back to the OP...

People killing cats? :mad: How could one ever lay a finger on such wonders?
    (For the records, I'm a bird-lover as well.)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  11. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Unfortunately, killing stray cats is a bit of a sport around here. People don't care if there's a collar on them or not - if they're loose, they're fair game, just like any other "wild" animal. And if you've never seen what happens when a couple of stray cats take up residence in an outbuilding...

12. Tara

Tara Senior Member

Cats actually seem to bond pretty fast, yes. When I got Nala about a year ago she followed me around as soon as I let her walk around the house freely (didn't let her roam the place right away, because I didn't know how the dog would react to her), but she only seems to like me and no one else. Simba (her brother) on the other hand loves to cuddle with about anyone who enters the house.

When it comes to feeding cats you should just look at what the package of the food says, but you should also keep an eye on the cat's weight. If (s)he's getting fat you feed it a bit less, if (s)he's getting too skinny you should feed it a some more.

If you don't have another pet to keep your cat company you should play with it every day, if only for a few minutes, because cats like to play a lot... which you probably won't notice until you have two cats :p

If it's an indoor cat you should also check its nails every once in a while and clip them if they're too long, otherwise they can grow into the cat's toepads. You could have the vet do this, but you can do it yourself; it's not that hard. You can find some basic information about doing it here.

13. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Woah hon! Calm down and take a deep breath!

If it's a young kitten, give it cat food, but make sure the food has been softened in water before you feed it. It's a good idea to give it some dry food as well as soft food in order to strengthen it's teeth. A bowl of milk on occasion would be good as well, but don't give them very much or they'll get diarrhea. Otherwise, just stick to water.

Litter-box training should be pretty easy as cats instinctively like to bury their.... well, you get the idea. Just make sure that the kitten knows where the litter box is, and give it a few days. Kittens don't make too much of a mess so long as you keep an eye on them.

Cats have a body language that's fairly easy to read. When their tail's up, their happy. When they purr they're happy. When they growl they're either in pain or warning you off. And when they're scared they will claw you and hang on, pupils large and ears back. When in this situation, i suggest rather than trying to pull them off, hold them and cover their body as much as you can with your arms, then just talk into their ear with a soothign voice. It will make them feel safe and protected, and they should let go. (my own cat Jinx likes to sit on my shoulder sometimes while i clean in the house- might be a good idea to teach your kit how to do that though it takes patience)

As for shots, i only have outdoor cats, but i would suggest that you do get shots for it if you want to keep it. I've only had two cats die of viruses though, so they don't get sick very often. (I've raised over fifty from the same family over a course of ten years at least- no joke)

No, cats usually don't need anything special to eat. Catfood and water will do just fine. As for toys, a piece of string or a marble rolling across a hardwood floor is all you need for hour's worth of both your and your cat's entertainment.

As for attitude, all cats are different. But this one seem to be a very nice personality in my opinion (again, i've handled fifty of the buggers and can recal each and every one's personality!) Little kittens do tend to bond faster when they are alone, and you are their sole caretaker. So there's no alarm there. Just go about your normal daily routine and they will eventually stop whining and know to wait.

Also, one of our recent kittens developed an odd problem of not having very many teeth, so keep an eye on them and watch their dental growth. This is the first time that's happened to me, but i haven't figured out any solution as of yet. No need to freak out, but if it does happen just let them eat as much as they want or they won't grow well.

14. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

15. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

You've gotten a lot of good advice. I've got two:
    1) Don't feed your kitten or cat the cheapest food available, and preferably no dry food either. They can get kidney and other intestinal problems when they're old(er). It doesn't happen with 100% certainty, but I still wouldn't take the risk. You're gonna think this is nuts, but my sister-in-law makes a lot of the food she gives to her cat and kitten, e.g. steams fish and chicken. All ingredients have to be of high quality, so nonselfmade food she gives is from a petshop.
    My Mom and her spouse have six cats who live outside, and some of them are quite old. Apparently that kind of diet prevents kidney problems? But you can't do that, of course, so you'll have to find the best alternative.

2) when she's big enough, get her a leash and take her out like a dog. That's how it's done where I live cos you aren't allowed to keep cats free outside. Cats love playing outside and get used to the leash pretty quick. You just have to let her choose the path :D

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  16. chicagoliz

Komposten and GingerCoffee like this.
  17. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That's great Liz. I'm still laughing. :)

18. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

She's got a name now - Jessie. We came up with that one because my G/F says the cat is such a "little bitch" lol, and if you're familiar with Breaking Bad you'll see the significance in the word "bitch." :p

She finally learned to go #2 in the box after a day, but still insists on going #1 on the carpet. It's always in the same spot and even if I put the box there, she'll just jump out and go next to the box. Not sure how to take care of that.

Her favorite toy at the moment is an old shoelace with a styrofoam ball tied to the end hanging from the bedroom doorknob. Crumpled paper, Coke boxes, and empty cigarette packs are also highly entertaining, however, her favorite toy is my laptop to which I credit the latest paragraph of my novel (which reads agadksjhdywehlfkbghjkcjw;jlkcehjrgbfyjeukhcdfvdshfcbdx) as being written by her. My headphones, stupidly left on the desk, were a good toy until she chewed through the cable and broke them :( She also like to knock my books off the shelves and try to tear out the pages. I got a scratching post, which is completely ignored in favor of the couch and the mattress. I'm going to Big Lots tonight and going to get a water pistol to try and abate that.

And her new favorite place to sleep, despite having her own bed, is on my stomach or between my lady's legs.

[​IMG]

Andrae Smith likes this.
  19. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Cats are mischievous little devils, aren't they? I like having cat's around, but they are a pain when it comes to trying to train them. I mainly like their general independence.

20. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Have you ever heard of a book called The Great Cat Massacre and Other Episodes from French Cultural History? As it turns out, the French people were culturally brutal to cats for a long time. The story of "The Great Cat Massacre" gives a sort of example based on a potentially real event (I don't remember). And even in Emile Zola's (a French author) Therese Raquin there is a scene where they contemplate killing the house cat, then later do so by kicking (or throwing) it out of a window... It was perhaps the saddest thing in the whole tragic book.

That said, it is rather inconceivable that people today would start hunting and killing neighborhood cats for doing what they do naturally. You can't blame cat's killing entirely on the pet owners letting them outside (my bias being that I am in favor of cats having that level of freedom). I understand that they may bring more stray cats to the neighborhood, but that is a part of the natural progression of things when humans interfere with the ecosystems. Locking a cat inside forever may be, in my opinion, as sad as caging a bird for it's entire life--unless they are very far removed from being able to survive in the wild.

To the OP, good luck with the new cat. My step-dad's mom has like 9 cats at her house--most of which come and go between indoors and out.

21. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Do British cats have a cute little accent when they meow? :D

123456789 and Andrae Smith like this.
  22. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Sorry @chicagoliz , I disagree. There's nothing more emasculating for a little lion than caging him up his whole life . I don't know know what part of hell you live in but in rural parts of New York cats roam free all summer spring and fall climbing trees , stalking neighbors from bushes, and leaving prizes for their masters on the porch. In southern Californial cats lounge about on the walls of their beach houses or socialize with the tourists on the board walk.

23. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

My cat goes out.

I thought the care of cats could be reduced to: 1) Provide food, water, and clean litter; 2) Leave to own devices.

Although for my cat, #2 entails letting her jump into my lap on a regular basis.

Andrae Smith and 123456789 like this.
  24. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

What's the life expectancy of an outdoor cat? Like 4-5 years? So if you feel like getting a new cat every few years, outdoor is the way to go.

25. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

The ones I know lived in their teens