1. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

"Cockroach Cave" - a real, terrifying place on earth

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FireWater, Jul 2, 2016.

So I recently learned about this place that exists, that would basically be my personal hell on earth.

In Borneo, there's a cave called "Deer Cave" that, from most of the photos, looks like a typical beautiful cave in a lovely tropic region.

But, their ecosystem is all based on the bats that live at the roof of the cave, and the guano (bat shit) that falls to the floor of the cave and piles up in huge mountains.

And guess what eats the guano? Cockroaches. Huge ones, like 2-3 inches long, and they literally live in a swarming CARPET that goes down to the deepest levels of the guano. Millions and billions of them. They even eat the dead and still-alive dying bats that occasionally fall from the ceiling.

There are youtube videos of it....from afar, it looks like the ground is full of pebbles, but then they're moving, and then the camera zooms up close and you see that they aren't that tiny after all, and you see what they really are.

Youtube it. I dare you.

Can you imagine that for a novel? Like, what if a serial killer's MO was to tie up/drug their victims, then haul them into that cave and leave them there? (That would be similar to a certain Dean Koontz book, not to give spoilers to anyone who doesn't know which one) Or what if a tyrannical government disposed of criminals that way - instead of prison, you get solitary confinement in Roach Land, and have to also eat them as a food source? Seriously, that idea doesn't fit into any of my novels, so if you need something gruesome for your crime fic than totally use it.

Gross!!!

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

If there is a hell, that would be the place. Forget fire and brimstones and cackling devils. THIS would be the stuff of nightmares. An eternity of infinite roaches two-three inches long crawling on you, eating you...

This is literally the single most terrifying thing ever. Forget spiders or clowns. They're cool. This is proof that if there is a God, He is insane!

3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Doesn't scare me, I am quite manly with insects.

I wrote a story about farming 'roaches...never saw the light of day. Might dig out and blog that, later on.

I find crematoria spooky, and farm furnaces, maybe a forest of those spider trees in Australia? Every tree - a spider, branches wiggle, scoop children into the trunk mandibles. I'll never go there.

4. Nidhogg

Nidhogg Member

Sounds like a pretty cool place to visit. Smelly, but interesting.

5. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

The cameramen were some adventurous souls. I mean, filming it involves wading deeply into the surging tide of roaches (like a foot deep) and probably having them crawl on you and stuff.

6. bonijean2

bonijean2 Ancient Artists And Storytellers Rock

And on the plus side, if cleaned up a bit the whole big mess could make great fertilizer for organic farmers fields. Someone could probably get rich -

matwoolf likes this.
  7. CrusherBrooks

CrusherBrooks Member Supporter

I don't think caves in general are so beautiful and/or tropical. Then again I've seen the Amblypygi and I kinda like them. There's so many interesting critters in there... Some undiscovered... In fact I have a scene like that where prisoners in a pre-medieval hole are frequently assaulted by insects trying to eat them. Of course not as many as you described, but still. They end up eating the bugs because the wardens aren't really feeding them.

8. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I used to work at a business just in front of this train station:

9. Wayjor Frippery

Wayjor Frippery Contributor Contributor

According to this article from BBC Future...

"They’ll also eat just about anything, from cork to paper to grass. In the heaviest of infestations – on Navy submarines and in children’s bedrooms alike – they will gnaw off their sleeping victims’ eyelashes."

There's a cheery thought. :)

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Thus confirming my theory that roaches, all roaches, must die. Spiders are cool in my book, but roaches? KILL!!!!

11. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

I kept morbidly hoping that someone would just pry the cover off that manhole.

12. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Eh, just roaches. I guess they're gross and all, but not that dangerous. More of a creep factor than anything else. Only a few animals get me on edge. Not really scared, more of just on high-alert. Grizzlies, polar bears, tiger sharks, certain scorpions/spiders, water moccasins, and few misc. I'll hold a rattlesnake, grab a wasp to move it outside, swim with a gator (won't fuck with a crocodile), or whatever.

13. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

Also, there's a few cockroach farms in China where they're bred by the hundreds of thousands for use in research, and there's pens where they're swarming around everywhere.
    In one large news story, a farm's "security" was improperly handled and a bunch of the roaches escaped.

Millions of them, fleeing into the nearby population. The neighbors of the farm weren't too happy.

14. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Reason I'm not worried over cockroaches? Because things like this exist.

[Not for the faint of heart]

That's the Botfly. It lays it's larvae on a horsefly or mosquito which lands on a human. The larvae rubs off on the skin and buries into the flesh. Where it eats you. From the inside. Yes, there's documentation of it eating brain before as well.

or

How about the Japanese Giant Hornet that's three inches and sprays a flesh-melting poison? Where does it aim? Your eyes. How does it kill smaller insects? Rips them apart piece by piece.

15. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

WHY ARE THESE REAL???
    WHY DID I READ THIS THREAD???

16. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ok, folks, here's how it goes: If you post a video with some messed up shit that can be seen in the static image of the video before you hit play, put it inside a spoiler tag, ffs.