1. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed Senior Member

How do I write a query to a publisher, publishing agency?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by sophia_esteed, Aug 10, 2010.

It's my first attempt at publishing and it's my very first time writing a query to a publisher, or a publishing agency.
    I'd like just a brief explanation of what should I include/not include in the query.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there may already be threads here dealing with this issue... i suggest you first do a search for same and check out the info given there...

but you should first be querying agents, if what you are offering is a novel... and there's no such thing as a 'publishing agency'... there are 'publishing houses' and 'literary agencies'... the first publishes books and the second represents the author/work and gets a publisher to accept them...

also, i have a slew of tips from the pros on writing effective queries i'll be happy to send you, if you drop me a line... i can help you write one, too, as i do that for new writers all the time...

it's basically done in 3 paragraphs...

1.intro mentioning why you're querying that agent/publisher; giving the title, word count, genre and intended market...

2.a brief, compelling summary of the plot/storyline...

3.your relevant writing history's paid credits [if you have any]; offer to send sample chapters or full mss; a 'thank you' for considering the work...

whole thing should be no longer than one single-spaced page in tnr 12pt font... you'll find others have their own idea of what to include and how to arrange it, but this is the long-standing standard and will 'fit all' agents/publishers with no stated preference... however, you should always check each agent's/publisher's submission guidelines and follow them, if they specify something other than this...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed Senior Member

Thanks, this should get me started.
    I'll do as you suggest and look for other posts, too, just to make myself an education on the topic.
    I also wrote down your address in case I'd need future reference.
    A big thank you!

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

niente!