1. jsallen10

jsallen10 New Member

How do you approach an essay prompt which asks 3 or 4 different questions?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by jsallen10, Dec 1, 2009.

the prompt is a "to what extent" question followed by other more specific questions. First of all, how can i respond to the "to what extent"? Is the answer to this simple, like a "yes it does", or "only in some cases" or "no it does not"?

How do i address all of the questions in the thesis? or do i even need to? Can the thesis be multiple sentences?

I really don't have a lot of experience in writing... which is why I may be asking these questions that may seem ridiculous.. so please understand :(

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You can respond with something like, "to a great extent," or "not to a great extent," and anything in between. For "only in some cases," I would phrase that as "to some extent."

The thesis should be limited to one or two sentences. This has been the range that I've seen used throughout my college courses and is a sufficient length to state the claim that you are arguing.

3. jsallen10

jsallen10 New Member

Should I address the other specific questions in the thesis as well?

I forgot to mention the length of the essay. It is 5-6 pages if that changes anything?

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The thesis should focus on the "to what extent" part. All other questions can be answered within the body of the essay.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You address the specific questions, giving each one a relevance to the "to what extent" question focus. Then, in your conclusion, you focus on the "to what extent" question, supporting it with the specific question responses.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you should be asking the teacher who assigned the essay, as no one here can tell what s/he had in mind...