How do you choose names?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Jack Asher, May 12, 2014.

1. tumblingdice

tumblingdice Member

I don't know, I just use whatever name feels "right" for them. When I'm really stuck, I rely on name meanings.

2. Echoblammo

Echoblammo New Member

http://www.behindthename.com/random/ I use this since you can generate hundreds of names, from dozens of Ethnicities and Lots of Name amount options and genders and stuff.

Other times, I use my friends names and other people I know as off to the side characters or characters who will die or have minimal impact on the story just for fun at times. An entire book I'm writing's main characters are me and my closest friends.

tumblingdice likes this.
  3. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

I read others' ideas, spin 'em, merge 'em, create a variation of the merger, and then bounce my own into the ring of the Namedom.

If I need a name for a chicken who thinks he's a bunny, well, I'll imagine the character, the future situations, and then a name to fit those. I picture a slow-minded chicken, who means well, but sticks out for his oddities. I picture him hopping in a chicken coop, to see his mother, only to startle a bunch of hens. He will likely be excommunicated. (The reason this chicken crosses the road.) In time, however, a crafty fox corners the hens.
    But the bouncing capability of our feathered-who-thinks-he's-furry friend will trounce that mean 'ol fox. And, so, he will be applauded with with wings of grateful welcome. And from that day forward, Chicky Bob will jump with acceptance, as well as joy. Sure, Chicky Bob is a goofy neighbor, but he's that friend who won't leave you-- unless you make him. Still, Chicky Bob
    knows how to hop back to help, after all, he's the only Chicken Rabbit in all of Cooperstown. The End.

Note: The above just happened. It was not premeditated. It just came with the typing a response. It is unedited.

Thanks,

~#A

4. Dee Keen

Dee Keen New Member

I go to baby name websites and pick out a name that suites my first synopsis of the character.

Seraph751 likes this.
  5. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

I went looking for a random name generator when I started getting serious about my WIP, and I found this site: Fantasy Name Generators. It's fantastic - not just fantasy names, but real-world and sci-fi names for people, worlds, countries, groups, you name it.

Seraph751 likes this.
  6. PrincessSofia

PrincessSofia Active Member

I often look for names with meaning that fit to the character's personality, or origins. Sometimes, though, I just pick names for fun.

Seraph751 likes this.
  7. brutemaw

brutemaw New Member

I usually build up their personality before I decide anything like a name. Or figure out what they look like and figure out what name might look best for them. If all else fails,you can always skim through name generators that are based on localization, race, etc.

8. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I go to as many "names" websites as possible to try as many names as possible, keeping track of which ones I like and which ones I don't so that I can better narrow down which ones I will probably end up liking most.

In my Doctor Who fanfic I had an incredibly quick time coming up with a character name that I loved: in the BBC official "Whoniverse," there are two characters that the writers tried to make as superficially similar as possible so that the fundamental differences between the characters would stand out more strongly.

One of the superficial similarities was that the characters called themselves Captain Jack Harkness and Captain John Hart, so if I wanted my own leading protagonist (who somehow became my tertiary protagonist by the time I finished rather than the lead :rolleyes:) to follow the theme, then the first thing that I needed to do was to name her "Captain J. H."

With this extra restriction, I looked exclusively at "J" female names and "H" surnames, and it did not take me very long at all before I finally decided to name my character Captain June Harper.

9. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

I make up names or I look up names based on a characteristic/feature of my character, or I use what their main purpose is to inspire their names.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Chris_Bryant

Chris_Bryant New Member

Mostly I search through names by region or country depending on where a character is from. I have a tendency to use placeholder names and write with those for a little bit to get a better feel of the character. I'll then choose their name based on if the name feels right to me.

If i'm writing in a sci-fi or fantasy setting, i'll usually set up some linguistic rules for the language spoken by the group that a character comes from. Then I'll create a name from that. I have a lot of fun with creating names that way.

Seraph751 likes this.
  11. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

That is epic!

12. Joker-Jayde

Joker-Jayde New Member

I think of a name that sounds unusual or a very uncommon name. Or a common first name but with a different last name. Or, a name that reflects the character. My tragic villain is called Jezabel, a name which is sometimes often used to describe a lady of the night, to put it politely, ( I do quite like the name myself!!) For my main man, I wanted a striking name like Eren Jaeger from Attack on Titan, Light Yagami from Deathnote, personally Rick Grimes from TWD- these names stick out to me. I thought of Jacob Dontatello, but then remembered the ninja turtle lol so shortened it to Jacob Dante.

13. Kyrsty

Kyrsty New Member

I like stories where their names have a bigger meaning than you first think. So, I think about the characters personality, then I search for a name that means that and then I'll double check that it means what I want it to mean.

14. loonypapa

loonypapa Member

For secondary characters, any name will do. For major characters, I give names with some sort of meaning. I would give examples, but I haven't finished the work yet.

15. Kayla Hicks

Kayla Hicks New Member

I really enjoy making up names. Although I needed to make a character list to remember all of them since I have around ten or so. It helps that I work as a teacher so I hear lots of different kinds of names but most times I just make them up.

16. FaythFuI

FaythFuI Member

I usually just let the names come to me as I write the character. In a lot of ways they tend to start naming themselves because their personality just flourishes and I get a sense of what they may be called. I like to make up names too, and usually select something that sounds sharp or catchy. I also have a weird habit of having my MCs in my stories have last names that start with B, I don't know why - Ha.
    Examples:
    My MC of my novel: Kathryn Blake (Kat Blake) - Her name is sharp and to the point, just like her quick witted, and impulsive personality.
    My Antagonist: Marceline Salenna - Her name rolls off your tongue, but has a lingering, malicious sense, aside its beauty - just like her personality.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. Mr DC

Mr DC Member

If I need a name with a specific origin, I google the most common names and pick at random.
    If I just need any name, no matter how odd it sounds, I pick words I see around me and add, remove or rearrange letters until something satisfies me. I usually enjoy odd names so the second version works wonders for me.

18. FaythFuI

FaythFuI Member

That's awesome. I kind of do the same thing. I usually write down the name I make up and say it outloud to see if it has the sound I'm looking for. :)

Mr DC likes this.
  19. Veo

Veo Member

The best way, in my opinion, is to have a look at the ending credits of a film.

Sal Boxford likes this.
  20. Ethek

Ethek New Member

Sometimes i use generators, but mostly i mix up names of people i've met or know. Like my name starts with Jo- My surname starts with Sch- so i came up with Josh for a character.

21. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I am using scriveners name generator right now to create a list of possible character names. I am going to make one character named after a guy at work who WILL NEVER STOP WHISTLING!!!! and that particular character will, by the end of the book, never whistle again buy any means possible.

22. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Scrivener's name generator would be a hell of a lot more useful if it had "English" names up at the top, and could run first and last names together.

23. Names are fun, especially when you're dealing with a science fiction setting where you don't necessarily need to know the origins of a name and can make them a little esoteric. A lot of the time I'll use a name generator to inspire something but they're typically altered and I will flick through a lot until I find something that would suit the character.

My two main characters have the names Skye Wilderan and Evren Tomun and Evren's old friend Joren Pirtan.

Then you have Larrun Pia, an important and continuing antagonist guy, Kala Wilderan, Skye's long lost/not-around mother who will make a return to her life. Jon Wilderan, her late father mentioned a few times.

Some minor characters are Sael and Haylin (actually undercover name for Kala Wilderan), Commander Pontarn, a character mentioned by Evren and Joren who may end up in the story.

24. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I think the name generator works great. I don't mind that English is not on top, it is just the way it fall in alphabetical order.

25. Avalon McSoley

Avalon McSoley New Member

I usually check:
    - What were some popular names in the birth year of the character?
    - What are his/her parents' religion and what names are common in their faith?
    - Was (s)he named after anyone?
    And of course I try to pick something characteristic and slightly unique, so that people won't have too many associations with the name, but not so unique it'll be ridiculous.

The traps I often see writers falling into is to give old people modern names that were pretty much unheard of when they were born, or giving them religious names based on the character's faith, not the parents. Like, they didn't name themselves so their name shouldn't be the perfect name to them, but to the people giving it to them.