How do you choose names?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Jack Asher, May 12, 2014.

1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

My problem is ancillary characters. When a waitress comes to the table the only two names that leap into my mind are Sarah and Rachel, and I feel like that would get very old for the reader. So I leap over to seventh sanctum, pick up "Olive" and I'm back to writing.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Further on from choosing a name for your character, have you ever started a story then realised that you had the wrong name, gone back and changed it?

I did this with both my main characters. In the original idea (25 years ago) my characters were called Sasha and Nick. When I came to actually writing it in 2012, I realised they didn't fit the characters and rapidly changed them.

3. Jack Asher

Here are the first 10 names Scivener generated for me
    Raghallach Bollag
    Anhay Piskor
    Lynnet Rao
    Gerard Wolfski
    Tutu Warburton
    Bartley Skiffington
    Bahumanya McHarg
    Artair Thannhauser
    Peyton Orms
    Paschal Salazin

hmmmmmmmmm. I may need to fine tune the origins.
    Though I quite like the name Tutu Warburton. I imagine he speaks Swahili in Patric Warburton's voice.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Scrivener generates names? I'll have to check that out.

That's an issue with a colloquialism. The Chevy Nova was a joke as well because it means "no go". 'Va' is the present tense version of the verb 'ir' that means to go.

I had to be careful traveling in Latin America because some words like, 'mujer', which translates to 'woman' can also me whore in some regions. Eggs are testicles, just as balls here are.

5. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

All of my stories use the same characters at varying ages/points of their lives.

Allison Jane Connor (aka AJ Connor) is a play on words. If you sound it out slowly, and in just the right arrangement of syllables, you will find that Allis-on Jane sounds like Alice In Chain or better yet Alice In Chains.

Her older sister, Zoe, is taken from the Staind song Zoe Jane, though her middle name is not Jane.

Allison's twin brother Aaron is named for Aaron Lewis and his middle name is Layne after Layne Staley.

6. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I usually don't bother naming minor characters or 'extras', especially if the name isn't spoken. I use their title, occupation, or a physical characteristic. The waitress or Blue Top. It's a stylistic thing.

7. Jack Asher

People insist on pointing out the name of a murder victim though. It's quite tiresome to continually refer to a corpse without using a name.

8. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Well yeah, there always many different reasons to name or not name a character.

9. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

There are some interesting things hiding in the "Tools" menu. Like "Generate Names", "Look up on Wikipedia" and "Translate to another language".

Well, sometimes Scrivener gives interesting results, even with a nationality set, which is why I always mix and match between the different first and last names. I even find that a good deal of the generated first names sound like last names to me...

Unless, of course, the victim is terribly mutilated and doesn't have an id card so that no one knows who it is.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    GingerCoffee likes this.
  10. GingerCoffee

My character makes up nicknames for people she's not introduced to so for example the rangers that arrested her are "Stripes" and "Shorty". I think unnamed people still need nicknames of some kind.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  11. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Depends on how often the are encountered in the story, IMO. If it is just a waitress or something who is present during a single scene (or multiple scenes but only one waitress) names should not be needed, unless the characters actively talk about/with and/or think about the unnamed character and thus ask for a name or create a nickname.

12. Estelle Gryphons

Estelle Gryphons New Member

i guess i'm the odd one here because i don't actually enjoy giving characters names. i feel like unless if the characters pop into my head with names then i don't feel right giving them names. does anyone feel this way?
    i actually wrote an entire blog post about this in march: http://estellegryphons.wordpress.com/2014/03/07/fr2/

13. caters

caters Active Member

I usually go to baby name websites which sometimes have tips for naming your characters.

The reason is I either look for gender specific names that I don't care what the meaning is or I look for gender specific names that I do care what the meaning is like in the first twin birth in the family tree Rebecca and Ronald started.

14. GingerCoffee

Of course. My character has to need to use the reference.

15. GingerCoffee

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I overthink names. Names create images in my mind so I assume that is true for other readers. I've still not settled on all my characters' names and I'm getting close to finishing the book. I still have several substitute names for my characters.

16. Estelle Gryphons

Estelle Gryphons New Member

I agree completely, and I think that is precisely why I am hesitant to give names to my characters. I prefer for readers to get a sense of the characters through descriptions or actions than through a name. Of course, I only ever really write short stories so names are not always necessary. I imagine when one writes novels it would be difficult to avoid names.

17. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Basically this.

BeckyJean likes this.
  18. TheSmiler

TheSmiler Member

Personally I build the story around the character but don't name them till I'm at least a good chunk half way through. Instead I just put numbers in red. That way I can go back and a name will come to me then I can just slot it in. I've found that way most of the time characters reveal their names to you.

19. Zane Night

Zane Night New Member

Tried your website link. Is it down? Had no luck with it.

20. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Usually I can make them up - but if nothing comes to me I'll hit baby-naming websites or lists of ethnic names depending on my needs. Though the best Surname I ever got for a character was a phone-book find: Rylander. Loved that name, and now Madison Rylander is one of my characters to write. She just pops off the page.

GoldenFeather likes this.
  21. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

the web address got changed, i forgot to change it on here

*edit* im having a few tech issues for the address, so i will be wiping it until it is sorted. Managed to fix it

22. GoldenFeather

GoldenFeather Active Member

Well before choosing a name, I have an overall idea of the character first. So for example, if I have a strong character who doesn't take crap from anyone, I try to reflect this is the name and look up certain names I find are strong and bold. For me, many German names are like this, so I do a google search for German names and browse until I find one I think suits my character.

If I have a soft, quiet character, I would research French names for example, because I find they are delicate. Very rarely do I have a character name before I have an idea of what the character would be like. So I suppose I choose a name to fit my character - I don't fit my character to the name.

23. GoldenFeather

GoldenFeather Active Member

Actually this is a VERY good idea. Phone books will have so many unusual and uncommon names. This is actually a very good way to find original and unique names. I am stealing this idea Commandante!

24. Pandemonia

Pandemonia Member

One of my two main characters, "Susan Selwin", happens to be just a conglomeration of names from 3 or 4 people I know.

My rockstar "Ronny Vail" is obviously based on other musician names like Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Vai. No big mystery there.

25. J. J. Baek

J. J. Baek New Member

As much as I'm tempted to, I never use names of people I know in real life. I feel like that would somehow mudden my character development, prioritizing my sentiments towards that person rather than the character I want to develop. On the other hand, this can be a good strategy if you want a character who closely resembles someone you know in real life.

You can even mix names, like coming up with an Evan Jones out of Evan Lee and Mary Jones, whom you know in real life, if you want Evan Jones to be a mix in between Lee and Mary.

GoldenFeather likes this.