How do you choose names?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Jack Asher, May 12, 2014.

1. KirstyJayne

KirstyJayne New Member

I love naming my characters, I've never used a generator because I know how picky I would be. I don't tend to do namesakes, either. I have a list of first names that I like, about a dozen male and a dozen female names. Then I think about what kind of person is this character going to be, and I make my choice from that. Sometimes I come up with something completely different. I spend a few minutes thinking of a surname that goes nicely with the name, or I ask my husband what he thinks.

Another thing I like to do is look on Behind the Name, but this is only after I have settled on the name. I think I like seeing what the name means, but I don't want that alone to be an influence on my choice. Doing it that way leads to some laughs for me as well. I had a character who was going to be killed off. His name was Jacob, and I looked up the meaning which was, 'May God protect'.

HelloThere likes this.
  2. pirate1802

pirate1802 Member

Never used generators either. Although I do google the name afterwards to see if anyone important, real or virtual, held that name.

I generally write Mr. XXX, or Prof. ABCD on my first run, then think over the names afterwards, matching their character descriptions and roles I've written down in the story. Generally I pick names which roll off easily, and also a bit sassy, if you know what I mean, while at the same time not being too generic or common; which is why I google them.

Cailinfios and GoldenFeather like this.
  3. LonelyWriter

LonelyWriter New Member

I'm trying to steer my writing away from naming names of characters. Names carry so many connotations - race, religion, nationality, gender - to name a few. My message is that writing is universal because human emotions are universal.

4. Pandemonia

Pandemonia Member

so how do you tell one character from another without names?

5. LonelyWriter

LonelyWriter New Member

I use generic labels like their profession. The Reporter, the Writer, and so on. It also helps me create a kind of surreal nameless faceless reality which I think I've used effectively in a few short stories.

6. pirate1802

pirate1802 Member

This is very interesting. I've been thinking of doing this as well. In addition, I thought of not naming the places as well, giving them generic names (the park, the train station, the apartment). Kind of gives off a universal feel, as in, it could be happening anywhere, to anyone.

7. Romeisburning

Romeisburning New Member

I use names appropriate for the personality of the character. If I'm writing a fantasy and the character is shrouded in mystery, he might simply be "Saturn". If its a erotic noir setting, maybe something seductive and memorable..."Liara Swynford De Beuafort".

8. Chrysostom

Chrysostom New Member

Based on the story; timeline, theme, and culture affect the name generating.

I usually play words and make it into name. I usually make their name based on their overall character concept, especially for main protagonists.

9. BeckyJean

BeckyJean Member

Names come quickly to me - first and last names - and if I decide later that they don't fit, I change them. In my manuscript, though - I've been set with the names of my main characters for a long time. In reading and editing it aloud (a part of my process is to either simply read it aloud, or read aloud and record it and listen back) - i'm wondering if I need to change some of them because too many of them start with "J" and it's awkward to say them too closely together . It'll totally bum me out if I have to change them - because I see them as the names they've had all these years. :/

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  10. GothicMermaid

GothicMermaid New Member

I usually search for names but if nothing catches my fancy, then I just let "them" pick it. If that makes any sense.

11. koyelevergreen

koyelevergreen New Member

I have never thought anything seriously with the names of my characters . I make it up on my own. However I will now hop over to 'google translate' and seventh sanctum to get meaningful names suiting the characters. This is something I learnt new here. Thanks for sharing.

Jack Asher likes this.
  12. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

You just pick a name that you'll think will fit with the character, or a name that you think is pretty cool that isn't really used. (At least that's what i do). Some common names will occasionally fit for certain characters, especially if they're minor characters.

13. mdh

mdh Member

Go with what's in your heart.

14. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

With names, I use some common names for a few characters and rare names for others. Then I use older generation or really unique names for older characters. But if I can't find a good name, I mix up names and make them up (until I look them up and find out they're real names) I've done it so many times now that it just comes naturally xD

15. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

Sometimes I use a name generator. Sometimes I talk gibberish for a few minutes, and I eventually notice a particular sound that just sounds nice, so I spell it phonetically and then modify the spelling as necessary to make it look more natural.

For fantasy, and for other stories that are not set in a specific modern identifiable cultural context, my #1 priority when deciding on a name for a character is that there are few or no Google results for a search of that name.

16. Emily Logan

Emily Logan New Member

Out of a hat. LOL.

In all seriousness, names aren't that hard. It's the character that matters to me. Whenever I hear a name I like, I write it down for use at a later date. When I do have problems with names however, there's always a name randomizer/phone book. (The latter seems to be good for nothing else these days, since I normally use the internet for numbers.) Maybe you could use place holder names and just start writing about your character. The name could grow on you or you could realize his/her name is... they were raised in... and they're single/married/etc. The more you just write, the more you know. ;)

When I get a pet, I generally let them tell me what their name is. (No, I'm not a fruit loop; listen.) The way they act, what they look like, etc can say a lot about a name. (ie: my black cat with a strange marking over his lip like he's had cookies and milk: Oreo; his sister, my baby girl, is so sweet and is as cute as a: Button)

17. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Sounds like when we named Mozart, one of our cats. Maybe you can guess where that name came from? ;)

18. Emily Logan

Emily Logan New Member

Sounds like your cat likes Mozart music. LOL

Edit: Like the dog on Beethoven!

19. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Maybe he does, though the name actually came for the fact that he "played" on our grand piano (i.e. walked around on the keys) as well as slept a lot on the piano stool for the first few weeks. :p

20. Emily Logan

Emily Logan New Member

OH! LOL :)

21. Anita Briar

Anita Briar New Member

I had a name come to me randomly while thinking of the world I am creating and that became my Main characters name. Usually, if I am thinking for a name, I will usually just make up something or I will go to a name site if I am completely stumped. I have found many good names for characters this way.

22. Michael the Angel

Michael the Angel Member

http://www.babynames.com/

I wish I were kidding...

23. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

In a high fantasy story, I throw together the awesomest sounding syllables until I get a name that I like. Who needs name generators besides my head?

In other times, I simply recall names that I like most and use those. I also have no qualms with reusing the same names in multiple works as long as it is a good match.

24. Emily Logan

Emily Logan New Member

"names I like most"

Yeah! Like how I came up with my pen name, Emily Logan! :-D

25. J Faceless

J Faceless Active Member

I make my names on the spot usually. I do keep a list of names I like and re use. Sometimes I'll just use a nickname that mirrors the character. For the main I try to do a common name that's not too abstract, so its easier to remember and relate to.