1. JMTweedie

JMTweedie New Member

Blogging?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by JMTweedie, Apr 12, 2011.

Is it a good idea to keep a blog?

I am thinking of starting one to help with my MC development. I want to use it as an online diary for her. It will run in real time with the dates as my story's fictional start date is May 2012.

I'm hoping at least a few people may read it and start to get interested in her as a character. I hope it will persuade them to read my novel to see what happens to her next.

What do you think?

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

One of my friends here on this website does that.

Whatever works for you.

3. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributor Contributor

If you are good with social media, this can be a great way to build a platform of people who are interested in your book. Just remember that what you put up on your blog has to be quality stuff. Don't get lazy or sloppy.

4. Rowley

Rowley New Member

I used to blog on a different website, although it never particularly helped me with much. Though, as an organizational tool, it could be pretty useful for writing -- whatever works for you, really.

I just tend to vent in blogs, and I throw basic writing rules to the wind while ranting. XP

5. JMTweedie

JMTweedie New Member

I'm going to try and make it to the same style and quality of my novel. Thanks for the warning. :)

6. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Why not have a blog? Everyone else in the world does, especially writers, and even me, and I absolutely abhor blogs.

7. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

Yeah, why not? It's part of that all important platform building. Just make sure you spend more time writing than blogging (or hanging out on message boards).

8. Zadkeil

Zadkeil New Member

Currently Reading::
    Healthy Liver and Bowel Book
    Blogging is a great way to publish your writing and gain an audience. I would also recommend learning how to write articles on Squidoo and Hubpages to link to your blog and generate traffic.

9. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

I'm trying to get my blog started to compliment my site. What would be the best way to gain some attention and increase traffic?

10. Daggers

Daggers New Member

From what I've read from other sites/bloggers, the best way is to find similar blogs/like-minded bloggers and comment on their posts, basically get involved in the larger blogging community and people will visit your blog out of curiousity etc.

11. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

My traffic has come from just sharing bits of my writing with people. I am this weekend going to work on links - some people have agreed to link to me in exchange for going on mine. I have a blog heavy weekend anyway.

12. Nkaujsuab

Nkaujsuab New Member

I have actually just started a blog for my writing specifically. Just last Sunday, in fact. Right now it's kind of serving as a journal for me, as well as a place to showcase some of my past works. I'm getting the feeling, however, that it'll get much more "workshoppy" as time goes on and I post things that are in-the-works rather than "finished products." I guess we'll see where it goes!