How Do You Create Your Characters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by That Silly Welsh Guy, Apr 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

I loved this...I mean, how many of us *don't* feel like we have alter-egos running amuck in our minds?

~Lynn

2. architectus

architectus Banned

My characters create themselves during the story, but I start with a nugget. That person seems to just pop in my head. They are who they are. Sometimes it makes me feel insane. Perhaps I am.

3. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Perhaps we're all insane. (We just don't know it yet.)

~Lynn

4. Lil Miss Me

Lil Miss Me New Member

My most recent novel (which I would consider my best by all standards) came to me in a very odd way being that the characters came first. Usually I get a line and a scene that fall into my head and build my story around that. But these characters appeared in red lobster for dinner one evening simply by staring at a sign and smelling salt water. Fancy that! It's all about what kind of story you're writing, go somewhere that reminds you of your story and perhaps the characters will come to you. Sorry that's probably no help at all, I have the strangest writing process in the world I'm sure. Hope that was somewhat helpful.:confused:

5. ElephantsandEskimos

ElephantsandEskimos New Member

I really agree with you here. (Except, for me, characters can take months or often years to become fully-formed.) And don't worry, my characters always talk to me. :p
    I never like to think of the process as "character creation," because I definitely don't decide what they're like. Whenever I try to make a decision about a character, he or she starts to become less unique, more cliché. They seem to prefer to reveal themselves slowly. If you ask me a yes-or-no question relating to one of my characters, chances are I'll be able to answer it without hesitation, even if I hadn't previously known that particular detail. So I do like yes-or-no character forms, and answering questions about characters which I already know the answers to. It helps me organize my thoughts and it makes the images clearer for me. :)

6. zaphod

zaphod Member

I like to think about my characters to help me improve and design the plot of the story, moreso than just describing them. This is for the general details, for personal things they just seem to come when I am inspired by something.

Also, do you think making character descriptions can be for personal enjoyment, even if it's not an entirely productive activity?

7. seta

seta New Member

I just write about the person who is playing the role in my head. Sometimes the characters have unexpected traits to me, but I suppose this is a good thing.

Just yesterday I had to create a new character. He was a space pirate, but in my story, the pirates are secretive and mysterious as opposed to plunder barbarians. So this character has an icy blue stare, he is "strong and silent" and supremely confident. But also he's a gentleman and an officer. He's a very enigmatic character and I couldn't be happier with the way he turned out.

8. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

I don't have a definitive system. Some characters come with a plot idea (like my two MCs for my Demon Story did), others just develop as I develop a plot. Recently, two new characters have formulated and popped out in my mind for later on in my Demon Story and they were definitely not there last week. Or three days ago.

As for tests, I don't take them very often. Sometimes I do just for amusement, but never when I'm actually trying to develop a character. The only test I ever do take seriously is a Mary-Sue online test that I may or may not be able to link to here...

9. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

Characters are instruments of the author. The world and background is arguably the most important element to a story, the storyline equally so. The characters are utilized by the writer to convey the story, to lubricate its flaws. A story should not be derived its characters; the characters should be derived from the story.

When I write, the "world", the back-story, comes first into my mind, and a rough idea of the story. Second is the full plot, which should be allowed to evolve over time. Third, the characters. I implement characters as I see fit; when they are needed, where they are needed. From there, the characters should develop on their own, based on what the story forces them to do. If a character needs to be forced to cooperate with you, the character needs to be revised.

10. starseed

starseed New Member

I don't create characters- I meet them.

11. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

First comes the major characters out of nowhere, then comes the plot, then comes the minor characters, then comes all the rearranging of the characters' personalities and the plot.

12. Hindumaliman

Hindumaliman New Member

I think of a silly name and a silly person is born...I think of an evil name and a silly person is born and so on and so forth on into the infinite silly abyss

13. samessex

samessex New Member

wow this is a pretty impressive character building questionnaire!! thank you so much for sharing :)

14. KurtistheTurtle

KurtistheTurtle New Member

To create a character, I go through a progression. I start with ideas rather than a name, an appearance or w/e.

-What kind of conflict or theme will they represent? I don't give a name or appearance because I've found this leads to subconscious altering of what I intended the character to be in the story. Will their conflict represent the journey to manhood? An ideology?

-What do they fear most? People relate most heavily and gutturally to fear. Fear is what defines people, and as such it's a crucial part to a realistic character.

Past here the character creates itself.

15. PrettySiren

PrettySiren New Member

My character creation process comes in waves, kinda. I know that's a vague description, so I'll try to lay out it more clearly.

My main character always comes to my mind at the same time the main premise of the story does. They always go hand in hand. On a few occasions, the name pops into my head at the same time.

If the name doesn't, it often will come to me when I write the first paragraph. If it still hasn't, I look up etymology websites to get the name I think would fit the character.

As soon as I know their name and their function in the story, their traits just come to me. I never force character traits, because it really does come off as -- well -- forced.

If I'm writing a novel, I dig deep into my characters early on and find out everything about them so I'll know exactly how they'll react to any circumstances that arise within the story.

I guess, when you get down to it, I really just let my characters flow out of my mind organically. I don't put too much effort into making them come alive, because then character creation becomes a chore, and to me, it's the funnest aspect of writing.

16. Bongo Mongo

Bongo Mongo New Member

Cogito -- I mean no disrespect (really this is just out of my OCD), but could you spend a few more seconds on your spelling and grammar? It is sometimes hard to read your posts.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, my fingers sometimes betray me. Is it THAT hard to decipher, though?

18. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

lol - it's totally decipherable.

19. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Also, the grammar is perfect. It's just a few typos.

20. Martin Lesnoy

Martin Lesnoy New Member

Where do my characters come from? They're in my head and they won't go away! They're stubborn little blighters, I can tell you that much. :D

Me too! It's just like being back at school, and being given another pointless sheet to fill out and conform to.

--Martin Lesnoy

21. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I add two parts flour (all purpose), one part water, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and sometimes raisins.
    Cut into small portions and back at 350 until golden. :D

22. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I prefer chocolate chips instead of the rasins :p

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

But how do you get a rise out of them?

24. Smithy

Smithy New Member

When I don't know what sort of character a character has instinctively, I let there role in the story tell me. So, when I was stuck on a minor character's personality, I asked myself what his most important decision was in the story. Answer: running off to join the army so that he won't miss the biggest war in there generation.

So that told me that his character was that of a brave, earnest, well meaning utter twit.

And so on.

25. Laverick

Laverick New Member

I would make my characters based on Typology theories.

For my own amusement, I built characters off their flaws and pasts. My favorite character represent something symbolically or stand for something definite. I reuse character concepts, giving them slightly differing appearances and ages to fit the scene.

Some of my characters are my enemies, who I then change with circumstances (or make into complex villains). My leading character is usually what I wish I was and my sub characters are symbolic of my own version of what reality should reflect.

I'm terribly at making and sticking to basic stock characters that have nothing of my own in them. I wish I could bust our romances and make a fortune, I just can't write so generically.