1. struggler

struggler Member

How do you describe music in your story?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by struggler, Dec 22, 2013.

There's this scene in my story where the main character witnesses a large group of people dancing to some primitive music (drums, flutes). I've got the description for the dancing down, but describing music is something I'm struggling with. Now that I think about it though, whenever I do read a description of music in a book I'm reading, I don't really 'get it'. I mean an author could describe how someone looks like and a picture could form in my mind, but the same doesn't happen when it comes to music.

Does anyone else have this kind of problem? How does everyone else handle music in their works?

Thanks.

2. Evarnae

Evarnae New Member

You could describe how the music makes the characters feel. Like if the main character were to look around at the other people, what expression would be on their faces? Describe the mood of the music, whether it's sad, happy, gentle, chilling, calming, exciting etc. You could use metaphors like 'the sound of the flute floated through the air like so many dandelion seeds on a summer breeze'. You could use a physical quality like feeling the vibration of the drum through the soles of the character's feet.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in addition to the good advice given above, i'd suggest googling for music reviews... that will show you how different kinds of music and the sounds of various instruments can be described...