how do you envision hell.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by dave_c, Jan 27, 2013.

1. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I understand now.

But as I get older I find that the dirt that the "young turks" dish out means less and less. The greedy will use any advantage, power, wealth, position, and threats to evoke an unfair outcome. That's why they're villains.

As a younger man, my reaction was to get into the thick of it and make them pay. Even as I write that for you it sounds downright silly.

And you know that 75% of wealth I sold off? I haven't missed it for a moment. I did have a perfect moment of clarity on that at the end of last summer. I like to ride in that window of time 1700 to 1900. The wind dies down, the air is still warm and the idiots are eating dinner.

I had this beautiful open, empty stretch of the Interstate, and the wind at my back was almost equal to the oncoming air I displaced. It was like riding inside a quiet bubble, and all I could hear and feel was the lullaby of the engine.

It lasted for about ten minutes. And during that short period I found what I had been looking for all these decades. Simple contentment and peace of mind.

So, let the chiselers and cheats fight it out for scraps. They are just fighting for a Pyrrhic Victory.

2. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Well as an atheist i dont see a point in hell, but what i gathered from all the religions is that its the place were our worst fears and nightmares come to life... looking at this world we live in, i can already see lots of nightmares and our worst fears coming to life, so who knows we might be already in hell...

I work in a company that organizes exhibits and we currently working on hosting military and defense exhibition, so i had to look at all those companies that sell weapons and got to say when i saw how much those companies make each year just made my heart sad :(

1 person likes this.
  3. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal New Member

Start thinking about all things you wish you had that you do not have.

4. Arthur Wagner

Arthur Wagner New Member

How can you be sure that you finally found what you had been looking for? Aren't you afraid of falling prey to your own self-deceptive brain? Simple contentment and peace of mind could be no more than a self-defensive reaction of your brain to mental issues. An old friend of mine was battered by life badly. She was deeply unhappy. Eventually, though, she found her ease of mind by joining a narrow-minded christian sect. Every time I meet her now, I can see her numb smile of hollow contentment concealing her bitterness over her miserable life. Are you different? How do you know? Self-deception could have made you blind. Insanity comes gradually, unseen. Unawareness about one's own sanity is my personal idea of hell. A madhouse full of trotting madman being unaware of their delusions is my visualization of it.

(This is my first post. Hello Writing Forums! As English is my second language and I'm learning it at the moment, I'd really appreciate any suggestions regarding my language :)

5. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Endless Hip Hop.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

What about Lupe Fiasco? That man has my eternal respect.

7. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Maybe they can play that at lunch.

8. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

im quite surprised at some of these answers. not because they are incorrect just more abstract than i was thinking. quite liked the idea of the infernal admin office. as i said this a middle earth esc milieu so alot of these probably wouldnt fit.

appreciate the help all the same

9. Bimber

Bimber New Member

No one mentioned a novel by Stephen L. Peck "A short stay in hell" ... his vision of hell is a giant library with tones of books that were ever written or will be and every possible permutation of each book, and to get out of hell you need to find your exact life story in it.

10. cswillson

cswillson New Member

Hell is the absence of good.