1. brollykat123

brollykat123 Member

How do you find the time?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by brollykat123, Nov 22, 2012.

What do you do for a living? Whether it is school, work or something is that is important and takes up a big chunk of your attention, how do you get your writing to fit in your busy schedule? Making writing a priority, seems to be something that many on this forum would want to do, but explain the steps you take to get that done.
    I just want to say that I find it hard to make things routine sometimes, and I am looking for neat ways that I can try to do that.

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Contributing Member

Set aside an hour a day.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Yeah, that's about it. But you have to decide to do that - write instead of watching TV, going out shopping, or sleeping in.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of the above...

in the past, i wrote full time while raising the last 2 of my 7 kids [which included schlepping them to ballet and riding lessons and performances], running an upscale rooming house and a writing consultant business... i was also an active board member of an arts council and an historic playhouse, for which i hosted cocktail receptions and performances in my own home [which was for several years in a near-constant state of repair and renovation]...

if i could find time to write during those ten years, anyone can...

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Try out different times to see which works best for you. I like
    working at night. I also, have given up watching t.v.
    accept for the occasional movie.

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

For many years, I was a tax professional in private industry, and for the last 12 of those, I was a tax director. Heavy hours, lots of pressure. In addition, my wife and I raised two children, one with autism and one with ADD and generalized learning disabilities, and I served (and still do) on the board of an agency that provides services to children and adults with disabilities, as well as the state organization of which it is a chapter. Five years ago, when my in-laws became unable to function independently (after stoutly refusing any and all assistance), my wife and I stepped in, organized their finances and their care.

How do you find the time to write? Simple: if you want to badly enough, you will. I used to write late at night when the house was quiet. It was my way of reminding myself that there was a part of my life that I still controlled.

7. brollykat123

brollykat123 Member

Thanks everyone. I tried to find a post like this but couldn't find one, but after posting it I had a list of similar post on the bottom of my screen :) So, sorry about that. Yea, I just would like to find a sustainable way of writing. I suppose, I could carry a note pad and write during my break period at work, or anytime for that matter.
    I've outlined my story and more or less know what will happen it's just sitting down to turn it into something, that's the problem.
    It seem that everyone here is among the mind of find some time and optimize it. My best bet is morning, but I find it really hard waking up unless I have to school or work. So, how do I force myself to wake up for writing?

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Self-discipline, pure and simple.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Stop thinking that it's easy. Finding time to write is hard. Accept that. If writing is important to you, you will write. It won't be easy. It will drain you, but that's the point.

10. brollykat123

brollykat123 Member

Thanks! I guess that's exactly what I will be doing, writing of course. I know mornings are not my best times, but I will make it a priority just like going to school and work is a priority for me. I appreciate everyone's honesty in how they make their writing work :)

11. Paigex1

Paigex1 New Member

I work for my BF's company from home so I can be slightly more flexible with my time/priorities. I find that once I start writing I can't seem to stop for at least a couple of hours so as soon as I get the sudden urge to have a writing session I just do it! Everything else will still be there waiting for me once I've stopped for a break! :)

12. Breasbooks

Breasbooks Member

I am a stay at home mom, homeschool my kids, work part time for a wireless internet company, volunteer about ten hours a week at my church and still make time to write. Simply because I love it! I use every moment I can. Naptime, I write. Outside time, I write. Etc. I am serious about my writing, so I make it a priority.

13. spklvr

spklvr Contributing Member Contributor

Sometimes I feel like I have the opposite problem. Now and then I just have to face the fact that I do not have the time to write. For instance, I have to hand in my term paper tomorrow and am finishing it now at 3:42 AM because I decided it was a better idea to spend the day working on my NaNo novel...

Guess my saving grace when it comes to finding time is being a hardcore multitasker.