How do you find time for writing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Paki-Writing, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

OMG Daniel that's amazingly organised!!

I have to admit I'm not a morning person and waking up with the bf just makes it harder to get out of bed. Work and commute will keep me occupied til 5.50 and pratting about trying to deal with all the people in my life that can't seem to take care of themselves is quite time consuming (gotta love 'em though - responsibilities of a big sis :p ) Plus I'm a squash coach so that takes up a lot of time too. (finally dawns on me - I have two jobs!?! What the hell am I thinking?!?!? :confused: :eek: )

But I must confess writing is snatched here and there at work, or in the wee dark hours of night (leading to the morning problem I would imagine) I have to say that getting a little netbook helped, means I can carry it around and write as I go. I wrote loads when I was at school (always hyper charged and never needed that much sleep) and was surprised how little I got done at uni (when all of a sudden sleep was vital). But admittedly getting it done while working is hard - you never really seem to get very far. :)

2. Paki-Writing

Paki-Writing New Member

Time

Sleeping less would make me go loco. While I eat, I watch TV (multi-tasking?). Though I should learn not to procrastinate, it’s a huge problem of mine.

I guess I can find time, it just that after doing so much, a person just gets tired. Right now, I could write, but I won’t. I just came from Spanish class, so I feel like chilling a little bit.

This is something I need to do!

Lol. A friend of mine text-messages with her cell-phone in class.

This is soo true. School is much more important then extra-curricular writing. If my grades slip, I can kiss trying to get into a grad program good-bye. Even this whole writing thing, I’m really only doing it so I can get better at school.

Sorry, what I meant was people that have a lot to do. I think parenting is one of the most time-consuming activities. It’s one of the many reasons I never want to have a kid.

This isn’t true, a person can literally not have time. Take a lawyer, like yourself, who also goes to school to get an MBA. Then on top of that, he’s a father of five. The guy almost has no time for his kids, let alone anything else!

Thanks everyone for replying. I enjoyed reading everyone’s posts.

3. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

My afternoons are set aside for work. If I'm writing 1st draft, I review in the evenings, but as I'm presently working through my 'to do' list, the afternoons suffice. I would tend to agree that there's always time to write. It's up to you how that time will be found and utilised.:)

4. lessa

lessa New Member

When my body won't let me leave the house I will sit at the computer and write.
    I surround myself with stuffed animals and they enter the stories which is why
    they have a place of honour in my house.
    I sit there until my body gets too sore about an hour then I go and putter doing
    small stuff and knit.
    When I can sit at the computer again it is back to writing.
    It is my escape from pain so I make time for it.

5. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

How do I find time for writing? I cut myself off from the internet on weekends and evenings. Good thing I don't have internet at home. >_>;;

6. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

someplace that isn't actually a place but actually
    By neglecting to be a productive member of society.