Tags:
  1. JCKey618

JCKey618 Member

How do you find time to write/how often do you write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by JCKey618, Dec 28, 2008.

And read.

For me, it's hard because I have a lot of extracurriculars at my university. But for the past 6 months I've tried to write 2-3 hours per day. THis was over the summer and this past quarter, where I was abroad with my school, so I didn't have the extracurriculars. When writing new prose I've shot for 10 pages per day and now, working on revision for the last 3 months, I try to set a goal of a chapter revised per day or a certain number of pages.

Also, over the summer I tried to read 100 pages of fiction per day. This fell over the past few months, but I still try.

As school starts and I become involved again, I'm really worried about finding time to write. But hopefully it works out.

So, what are other people's regimens? Do you have a set time everyday and a set place? Or is it a 'whenever I find time to thing' (I've found myself writing during class, on planes, on the beach, whenever I can). And what do busy people do to ensure they have time?

2. Mr Vampyre

Mr Vampyre Member

When I worked in an office, I would write during working hours. This isn't something I recommend because you can get in trouble for it. The most important factor, for me, wasn't so much the writing but more jotting ideas down.

When I got home, I tried to write 1,500 words a day when I was really busy. I would power through, not stopping--typo galore. The point wasn't so much to create a brilliant piece of work, but rather to get what was in my head down on paper. Sometimes I would end up having to scrap almost the whole document, but sometimes I'd end up with something that I could build on.

A bad analogy would be to say it's like having a packet of seeds. If you leave them in the packet then they won't do much good, but if you throw them into the soil then who knows. But that is a bad analogy.

As far as reading goes, I try to read a bit a day. Just a few pages. Apologies to be crude, but eventually we all need to crap so... I'm sure some people turn their noses up at the idea of taking a book into the toilet but desperate times...

Also commuting. If you have to use public transport, then read when on the bus.

I don't work that busy a schedule anymore but that's generally what I did.

3. Browser

Browser New Member

I try to write everyday. The best time for me seems to be in the morning, as soon as I get up, I sit at my computer and try to write. Some days it’s mostly gibberish thoughts and ideas but other times I’m inspired. My goal is always to write at least three pages, but hasn’t happened yet. Instead I write small paragraphs and save them, and then I go back and read them and edit them. I spend allot of time doing research for what ever it is that I’m writing, so I think the majority of my writing time is wasted looking up words, researching concepts, and reading up on what ever it is I intend to write. It has lots to do with the fact that English isn’t my first language.

4. writer_chick

writer_chick Member

I write at work too. Tut tut.
    I write most days. I write longhand so as to be able to take it with me wherever I go, but on the other hand you run the risk of losing the damn thing which I am very apt at; losing things that is.
    Lunch hours are good. I try to get at least twenty mins in then. The trouble I have and I don't know if anyone is the same but when I get home from work I am so tired and find it hard to produce quality work.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I write when I feel like writing. That usually works the best for me. I don't like forcing myself to write because then I end up with complete crap.

6. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

I MAKE the time to write. I write whenever I feel motivated to, or sometimes after I push myself to do it.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i write whenever/wherever i get something in my head that needs to be written... and for as long as it takes to get it onto paper... and with whatever i have at hand to write with...

when working on major projects i've been known to work 18/20 hours a day for weeks on end, forgetting to eat, if no one throws some food at me...

back when i had what passed for a 'normal' life, i wrote all the time i wasn't dealing with things like running a home that was also a rooming house, along with my writing consultant business and raising the last 2 of my 7 kids...

now, i'm online from 6-ish am to 7-8 pm every single day, helping writers on sites like this and the many who come to me for one-on-one mentoring, as well as doing whatever writing is needed by the locals, which includes virtually all the letters, notices, reports, etc. for the local clinic admin and assorted other little stuff for island residents whose english is generally pretty mangled...

when i have something of my own to write, i just sit down and do it, in between all the other stuff and running the free books and donation center i started that's in the other half of my duplex [donated by a generous local businessman]...

8. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

For now, my memory is excellent so I only write whenever I feel like writing, and keep all ideas in my mind. I don't try to make a schedule plan since it would never work out for me. Strangely, I always find time to write. I uh ... don't read so much.

9. Toritoes

Toritoes Member

Bangor, Norn Iron (Northern Ireland to most)
    I always have a notebook around for ideas, i always have it out and scribble away.

I write anywhere and everywhere, i have most my work on my laptop, so am limited as to when i can get stuck back into the actual novel itself, but am constantly writing little snippets and going from there, just so its always fresh in my head :)

10. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman Contributing Member

I need to make time to write, but I haven't been. And when I do, it doesn't go so well, mostly because I have absolutely no idea what I'm writing. I'm a slow writer and writing for short periods of time doesn't help much unless I only want three sentences.

11. Dcoin

Dcoin Contributing Member

For me, managing a time to write is 90% of the battle. Some weeks I have hours to dedicate, other weeks I can barely squeeze in a few minutes here and there.

It reminds me of an old quote, "How will you ever have time, if you don't make time?"

12. rakel

rakel New Member

I'm afraid that I am the jack of all trades master of none. I have a lot of creative outlets that I rotate between (writing, art, knitting/crocheting, jewelry making and all other manner of arts & craft projects), and one of them is my career (web and graphic design).

When I was a kid - teenager I read a few books a week, but lately all of my reading is typically whatever necessary on the web -- news, articles, forums, etc. I tried checking out three books from the library a few months ago. I finished the first one in a matter of days, started the second one and ended up accruing about $10 in fees due to my negligence of not returning the books... oops.

As for writing -- I write emails... I guess you could say I am an unmotivated hobbyist. I wish I could have time to write and read more... but it always seems like I have about a million things to do.

13. architectus

architectus Banned

I try to write about 3000 words every 3 days. One day I might write 2000 and the next 1000 then take a day off. Writing this way I finished the first draft of Bending Nature in two months.

14. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

I don't bother trying to "find time" to write. I MAKE time. That's really the only way one can be consistent about writing.

I've been slacking lately but I make the goal to write about 10kb a day (which equals about 1700 words and takes about an hour to do). No more, no less. The time is usually the morning after I get offline because it's most convenient; the place is the computer, because I type my stories. If I just waited for the right time and place to arrive, it never would.

I also try to read some every day--often from two books--but the amount read varies depending on how much time I have and how the books are formatted. (Currently I read a chapter of one book, a novel, and several pages of the other, a nonfic book which has much longer chapters.)

15. Ti Odio E Ti Amo

Ti Odio E Ti Amo New Member

Well, I'm the type of person that changes their mind in the next 5 minutes, so I could never actually stick to a regime. I guess it is to say that I live in the present, so when I want to do something I just do it right then, or I'll most likely end up not doing it at all.

16. Harry Greene

Harry Greene Member

This is an interesting question to ask. I spend 30-45 minutes a day writing. It's not a lot of time, but I'm very focused when I sit down and write. Not a penny is left unspent :)

17. sweetchaos

sweetchaos Contributing Member

I have never had a writing schedule. I tried it once, but I'm terrible at sticking to something. If i have a deadline I lose all motivation what so ever and will avoid the schedule at all costs. It just gives me a reason to procrastinate. Of course, having no schedule at all doesn't really amount to any writing either. I write here and there, mostly at 5 in the morning when I wake up and scribble down a garbled paragraph only to wake up in the morning and go WTF!!??

As for reading, This past year I haven't done a whole lot, probably about ten books max. This year, however, I've given myself a new years resolution. I plan to read at least 30 NEW books (no re reading favourite books as I'm prone to do). I was gonna have it 52 books, but i decided to allow for time interruptions. I already have a stack of books waiting for me, and a bunch more on the list. Here's hoping.

18. robertpaine

robertpaine Member

I don't find time for writing, I make time. If you just wait for a free slot in your schedule you'll end up writing hardly anything. Set some time aside each day for writing, or you'll struggle.

19. Samswriting

Samswriting Senior Member

I write almost exclusively from my day job :-( it is the only time I can possibly write and not have other people hrm... well as noted elsewhere my writing is mostly secret known mostly to just me. This is the only place I have time that is not bound by others. From home I simply do not have the freedom to sit and write, there would be questions people looking over my shoulders, getting pulled away etc, and ultimately a misunderstanding of what it is I'm doing, then some hurt feelings that I have not been sharing all along and so forth... so from the comfort of work I write.

20. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman Contributing Member

Hmmm. Last year I found a bunch of time during class to do whatever. I had a notebook filled with random doodles and lyrics to songs that I would get stuck in my head. If I was on a roll with my writing, I'd bring it with me for something to do after a test. This year...not so much. I have harder classes that take up more time and leave less to do nothing. Either that, or I'm so drained from not sleeping the night before or one friend just declared war against another friend...possibly with me in the middle.

I miss last year =(

21. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

I usually have to make time to write, but once I get the ball rolling, it comes pretty naturally.

I found that, for me, the best thing to do is to set a word count goal for a day. Hitting that word count, no matter how good or bad, has been the singlemost successful tool for keeping me behind the keyboard.

22. cwpcreator

cwpcreator Member

Not nearly enough as I should. On the weekends I can barely keep myself awake after work let alone find time to write. I do read quite a bit, but I'm finding that getting time to write is really difficult. I'm not sure how I can make more time, but I am trying.