1. miss sunhine

miss sunhine Member

How do you get back your confidence with writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by miss sunhine, Jan 8, 2012.

I'm new so big 'HI!'

Say you lost your confidence with writing and even when you tried to write you just couldn't. You get ideas easily but you can't write anything.
    How would you get over it?

2. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

You adjust the storyline. Or adjust anything that feels right. You know, mix it up a little. That's how i kept my fantasy project going.. i changed a few things and sorted them out.

3. NYpeaches

NYpeaches New Member

try journaling, just to get in the habit of writing again. write for you, your confidence will come back!

4. Floatbox

Floatbox Member

Also, try branching off to follow other creative impulses. I started writing for my films and I was very good. Then I started to suck. Then I really sucked. So I got frustrated and depressed. So I picked up the guitar. I danced. I sang. I wrote poetry, blogs, stories, facebook updates, in journals, on forums. I drew. I followed every and any impulse. I paid attention to the process and I saw similar mechanics and themes in how I progressed in all these different mediums. I got comfortable with failing and I saw some amazing things I was capable of. I regained that sense of pride of looking back on a piece, knowing it's not perfect, but really enjoying it nonetheless. I lost that - that sense of pride.

Then I watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI23U7U2aUY

This interview by Ira Glass let me forgive myself, and as a result, produce much better work. Confidence is earned, but it's also learned. Learn to be confident that if you dive in, you'll get it and if you don't get it, you'll recognize it and you made a step towards getting it someday. The more work you'll do, the more good work you'll find yourself doing, I swears.

5. Phantom_Of3

Phantom_Of3 Member

Though I definitely agree with the posts above me, I have another suggestion: inspire yourself to write again by immersing yourself in a world of literature. Force yourself to go for, say, a whole week without writing; but, on this week, during the time you would spend writing and maybe more time, read more than you have ever read in your life. If it is possible for you, a book or more a day, and I mean good books, good works of literature. In doing so, you will regain such an appreciation for literature that it will be hard for you to not write, for you will feel such a strong impulse to do so. But if a week or two of this still hasn't helped enough, I also encourage that you start reading books on writing from other writers, such as On Writing by Stephen King.

6. forgotmypen

forgotmypen Member

In all honesty, you've just gotta write. Even if it's hard, even if you're just writing down the first thoughts that come to your head. Even if you're writing: "I have no confidence, and I feel that I can't write. It's too difficult. Ideas are filling up in my head, so much so that I feel it might explode..." ...Writing really is the best cure.

Aside from that, I would take walks, listen to good music, and read.

Also, frankly, at some point you just have to get over it and realize that it doesn't matter. All lack of confidence does is hold you back.

I'm not quite sure if that's what you were looking to hear, but hopefully that helps you. : )

7. erik martin

erik martin Contributing Member

If the beginning is hard to write, write a scene that you can picture in the middle, or the end. Do some exercises like writing detailed descriptions of things you see or scenes from your life. Blog. Anything to get words down will help them come when you need them. Really, blockage often doesn't go as deep as it feels. If you force yourself to put down a paragraph or two, regardless of whether or not you think it's good, then you might find things starting to flow.

8. Granville

Granville Member

You get back on the bike and keep pedalling.

9. Kio

Kio Contributing Member

Hey there, newbie! Hope you like it here so far.

I lose confidence in my everything very frequently, but I learn to regain it through perserverance. If it doesn't work out the first time, keep trying to do it and don't lose hope. As long as you've got ideas, you plough through with them, confidence or no confidence. If you feel that you didn't write it properly, go back to it and look it over.

10. miss sunhine

miss sunhine Member

Hi again!
    Everyone made some really good suggestions, and i already started to read when i couldn't write hoping it might inspire me! I read a lot of Classical literature and find that always helps me.
    So today i got up with an idea in my head and instead of not bothering i wrote it.
    It turned out to be a five page short-story so i'm really, really pleased i managed to write something. But i'm going to do something now i've never done which is to actually edit my own work. It's really bad that i don't but maybe working with a small piece and improving it will help.

I love this Site so far and have found everyone really helpful and welcoming. So i wish everybody well with their works at the moment and thank you again.
    xxx
    The Newbie