1. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

The Writers Block Thread

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Sapphire, Sep 21, 2006.

What are some things that get you motivated to write? Is it movies? Music? Scenery? Tell what gets you motivated and why.

For me, its got to be the music. Since I enjoy to write a lot of fantasy, I like celtic new age music like Celtic Woman or Enya, which gets me in that mood where I just want to write something adventerous. If I write out battle scenes, I usually put on some rock music, mostly alternative such as Papa Roach or Nickelback.

2. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Music certainly helps me, but I've found that time of day is more important. I usually can't write during the day, it has to be during the evening, or I get distracted.

Other than that, new ideas motivate me. If I think about the scene that I'm working on, having a new idea about the scene or the characters motivates me to do more work on it.

Unfortunately, that means that if I don't have any new ideas, it's hard for me to do more work on my book.

3. CandieK

CandieK New Member

I draw inspiration from everyday things - people, situations, art, friends. But music is definitely an inspiration for me, also.

I listen to music that best sets the mood.

Like when I'm working on a suspenseful piece, I listen to something with a lot of creepy undertones and sudden jolts.

(also makes me laugh at myself when I nearly fall out of my chair in fright)

POTC soundtrack is a good one for that.

4. Verto

Verto New Member

I suddenly have an urge to write, I'll write for about 3 hours at a time, then have a break. Then start again. Then sleep. Then around the same time next day I will have the urge again, etc.

5. DagunZain

DagunZain New Member

New ideas usually get the blood flowing for me. A different opinion can open a floodgate...

6. kalibantre

kalibantre New Member

CandieK, I think our muses are very similar. Thought I do have a friend, Lee Broderick, who's up and coming music career inspired me a lot. I actaully intend to wirte a novel inspired by where my mind wanders to when he's singing. But mostly it's people and interactions that get me.. though I'm writing a pirate story and I have to watch certain movies to get me in the mood for that when I only have a small urge.

Verto, I envy you. Your muse is a regular visitor.

7. herminehaller

herminehaller New Member

The Smiths, Bjork, Hermann Hesse and Graham Greene.

8. pengwenn

pengwenn New Member

I'm a visual person so I like seeing things that inspire me. I like finding weird pictures on the web. I also use video games. If I'm writing a sci-fi story I like to play games with that element in it. The same with fantasy.

My problem tho is the time when I get the most motivated to write is while I'm at work and can't. It's hard to hold onto that feeling until you can get a chance to do something about it.

9. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

I'm the same way you are. I like to sit out on the front porch of my house and just look at the open area around me and just picture epic battle scenes, a grand marble hall, dragons flying in the air, things like that. But I haven't been able to get motivated lately. I want to get motivated so bad, but I used to have this thing where I would write every day ritually. Now, it's just kinda...when I get the time.

10. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Motivation... now if I had that down, I'd be published by now.

Bakkerbaard and cosmic lights like this.
  11. Peter

Peter New Member

Ha! I hear you, Lpspider! I feel like that most days, too!

Anyway, I'm not one for waiting for "motivation" to write. I try to treat writing as professionally as possible, thinking of it as a job I have to do, but one I love. I mean, writing fiction is hard work, irritating, demoralising work. I hate it sometimes, when nothing seems to be coming together. But I need to do it. Don't ask me why.

I do collate everything I see and hear every day, but I think it's better to sit down and write. At least then I have a chance to learn what I'm good at and what I need to work on. Although each time I finish something, I'm finding that I need to work on all aspects of my fiction. Which sucks.

12. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

But if you're looking at it like its something you have to do, then the story or whatever you are writing will feel like that it wasn't worked on very well at all. That's at least what I feel. I need to watch movies or listen to music to get me back into the mood, or else I can't write at all or think of anything.

13. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

If the story I'm currently writing is not inspiring me at any time to continue with writig it then it's highly likely that nobody else would want to bother even reading it. If I am in that situation and it's lack of enthusiasm then the idea goes out the window. If it'a lack of ideas that causes apathy then much study needs to be made of the subject matter of the story. The sources f study are all over the place.
    Motivation is simply incidental.

14. ThE AnImAtOr

ThE AnImAtOr New Member

For me, it is my emotions... Infact I have a difficult time writing and plotting stories unless I am emotionally involved so I'm usually good at writing romance and friendship stories. I can be fairly decent at Action / Adventure however I tend to over describe things in these stories...

15. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

funny enough, participating in discussion forums gets me fired up to write something. Similarly, I always feel a bit more motivated after listening to "The Secrets" podcast or other "how to write" kind of stuff. Reading a really good story or watching a creative/moving movie will get me going too. If I'm writing for kids or a loved one then thinking about them will push me to action. But there's nothing like having a great idea that I just have to get down.

ZB

16. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

I wish I was like you, zerobytes! As I said above, all an internet connection does is distract me!

17. Aurorah

Aurorah New Member

Lots of things inspire me to write... Songs can motivate me to start a story especially if the lyrics are meaningful or resonant. Reading a good author can fire up ideas of my own too. I also imagine people from my every day life and wonder what tales I could tell about them, even if I don't know them. Creating a character can immediately conjure up all sorts of plotlines in my head!

18. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

Lately what's been inspiring me is the book Eragon and some celtic music. I've already said it before but it's been a while since I've posted in this topic.

Since Eragon the movie is getting closer and closer I'm starting to get into it again, which is getting me more motivated to write my story. I'm also listening to a lot of Celtic music and I'm listening to songs that have a meaning to my characters. One such song is House of Wolves by My Chemical Romance. I don't know why, but it kind of reminds me of one of my characters as they are in a battle scene. That kind of stuff really gets me going so I'm really in a groove. I'm working on my fanfiction and my book at the same time, which is pretty time consuming and spiffy!

19. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I think what motivates me is a moment of enlightenment. It can come in many forms. Sometimes it just comes for no reason at all.

I have noticed that I have a tendency to brainstorm while I am driving. Probably a bad time to get pen and paper out huh?

20. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    How do you overcome writer's block?

Ok I am asking this question cause I have suddenly developed writer's block and can not overcome it what so ever.

So people lets share some tips on overcoming that nasty little thing called:

WRITER'S BLOCK

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

21. Kat

Kat New Member

Ariella,

I'm kind of in the same boat right now. Everytime I get blocked a good friend of mine and I play the three word challenge game. She gives me three words and I give her three and we have to write a poem using them.

:)

But don't worry too much. Inspiration will hit you when you least expect it. I'm waiting, too!

22. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    Thanks for the reassurance Kat it is muchly appreciated hey. I hate writer's block.

I know I will end up in a really foul mood because of it, I always do. Well hopefully it goes away soon. sob sob :(:(

23. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Writers block sucks LOL

What I do, is just start writing about whatever is on my mind even if its just random babbling. If that doesn't work I read a book that I like or I look at art. Both of those things inspire me a lot.

24. Jolly

Jolly New Member

Uhhh...I've been blocked for a while...

My advice at gettinhg rid of it is listning to your favorite music and writing to the beat.

25. Raven

Raven Banned

I hate the words Writers Block. But it does happen. I find for me the only way to overcome it and believe me it does work sometimes but then it depends on the type of stuff you write and thats Music. Something inspirational something that you trust will help work. But it does depend on what your writing.

Its a not a brilliant solution but it does work sometimes for me.:)

~Raven.