How do you know if you really want to write and publish a book?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Link the Writer, Mar 24, 2011.

1. bumblebot

bumblebot New Member

I decided this was really my goal when I was decided I could treat writing like a job. To me, this means dedicating x hours a week to doing it, even when I don't want to, and even hating it sometimes. Luckily, I haven't gotten to that last part yet.

2. bekajoi

bekajoi New Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    I'm currently doing the debate between jumping through hoops for someone else, or just publishing myself when I feel a project is ready for it. I am not really in this for the money (though I won't turn it away, should it come!)...

I write because I enjoy it and have stories to tell. I would like others to enjoy them as well, but I have little issue with offering short stories or poetry on a blog while offering the same for sale at a low price on Amazon/Kindle store.

I am not entirely sure I want to jump through the hoops required to find a publishing agent, particularly because I don't restrict myself to any one genre, and edit my stories until they no longer look like "my stories" because of another person's opinion.

I like the idea of keeping my creative rights, and for now, am leaning toward Kindle/Amazon type deals. (They are free to set up, by the way! Both print-as-you-sell style and Kindle style)

And you are not untouchable if you have self-published. Your self-published work might never be picked up by a traditional publishing firm, but YOU as a writer are not un-touchable.

3. barnz

barnz New Member

This is exactly how I feel. All of this work that I'm putting in is with the intent of becoming a full-time writer somewhere down the road, so I try to fulfill my daily goals of words per day or edits per day, which vary with the project. Plus, writing sustains me. I feel strange when I don't write for extended amounts of time. It's my way of processing this crazy world we live in.

If you want to write, then write! Everyone's life is busy, because if you have free time, you end up filling it with something else. Writing requires a statement of priorities, to set aside enough time to get it done like you would any other job or hobby or interest.

In terms of giving up creative potential when you're published, I don't think that's as much a problem as is imagined. Lots of writers stray across genres or bend genres with their imaginations, and if the big bad editors would rewrite your book until it's not your work anymore, well, then they would be writers and not editors.

4. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I have some stories that are unique and unheard of -- or maybe I haven't read a lot of stuff yet. Nevertheless, I want to share stories that I deem unique and exciting. If a certain story, plot or idea excites you, that's enough fuel to push you through the process.

I'm still working on my style and tone -- and SPaG. I have some plots shelved, but they're still simmering and percolating at the back of my head and during work (which I'm not proud of, but I get bored). Once I've done enough shorts and done enough self-editing, I'll take another shot at writing my opus/es.

5. PhaiRo

PhaiRo New Member

How do I know I really want to write and publish?

Lol well for one, I can't draw, which sucks because if I could draw HALF the things I write and imagine, I'd be a millionaire....but anyway...

I think a really important ingredient to writing is that you have to talk about writing with other writers...like on this forum. It's good to encourage others if you are a vet, or if you are just starting out it can be very helpful to know that there are others out there who are going through a similar experience you are going through....

As writers...lol we go through some sh*t, (excuse my French). Even the best of us find it hard to stay focused 24/7...Even the best of us have writers' block every once in awhile...But we all have a story to tell. Even if you don't get published, I think it is important to tell that story as best as you can. If you can do this, than you are a SUCCESS. So keep writing!

I just noticed I didnt answer the question....

I want to write because I love telling stories, and I love the imagination and creative spark that the good Lord gave me. I will always be thankful for this gift, and I will always keep writing.

I'm 23 working on a novel right now...dreams of making it into the movie biz...wish me luck!