1. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Rebel child scenarios; Your reactions

Discussion in 'Research' started by DeathandGrim, Apr 7, 2013.

This is something I'm going to also survey my family about and a couple others I know but I want to also get the opinion of some of the online commune to cover my bases. You are a mid fifties mother of four and grandmother to nine, you have umbrakinesis, you're in a task force to control supernatural threats.

Scenario: Your teenaged granddaughter, by your son, has become part of a violent gang. You end up running into your granddaughter on a mission. During this encounter you realize she also shares your supernatural abilities of umbrakinesis. Reactions?

Scenario: Your granddaughter was taken home to her parents. Her parents are distraught and seem to be unaware of their daughter's powers or rebellious activity. What do you say to them about the situation?

Scenario: Your daughter was just brought home instead of arrested by your mother. She says she was involved in serious gang activity. She also claims that your daughter has supernatural abilities. Reactions?

2. Xatron

Xatron New Member

There is not enough information for us to answer. For example, are those supernatural threats common knowledge? Is having supernatural powers of any kind an everyday occurrence? If not, are people with supernatural abilities discriminated against in society? Are they celebrated?
    Also, do the grandmother's children know about their mother's supernatural abilities or are they revealed at the same time as the granddaughter's?

Also, the ages don't fit. If she is in her 50's (let's say 55) for her to have a 16-17+ granddaughter who is old enough to be involved in a gang she would have to have given birth to her first child at 19 and that son should have had the granddaughter by the age of 20.

3. DeathandGrim

In order

Yes, it's genetic

Yes, it's a growing problem among the younger community who have knowledge of their abilities and just want to "fit in" which is where the granddaughter comes into play

Usually, the costs that come from damage the metahumans can cause without direction is quite high, they can occasionally be celebrated by a very select few of those who believe that "superheroes" are necessary.

They're revealed at the same time. Their mother is deathly afraid of her own abilities (due to her accidentally using them to destroy and orphanage and kill one of the orphans when they first awakened in her (the rest of the story is a witch hunt)) and is forced to use them following her induction into the task force (not of her free will) her ability skipped some of her children but it became active in some of her grandchildren, which lets the cat out of the bag for everyone.

Couple notes

The grandmother, Evelyn's official age is 58, I kind of mislead by saying "mid fifties" and the grandaughter/daughter, Regina, is 13 (oh, the awkward age)
    Evelyn had her first child, the son, at 20 and he had his first at 25, making Evelyn 45, and 13 years later Evelyn would be 58

13 I think is a reasonable age for children to start acting out. Regina discovers her abilities and doesn't want to tell her parents or anyone and she feels like an outcast, a freak. This is where she joins others who she thinks is like her and from there her and that group start getting in waist deep with a real gang and while she's doing stuff for them one night, she runs into her grandmother. And that's how this scenario starts.

4. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Sounds very interesting. I will think about your questions and get back to you.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

These questions are pointless. What you are really asking is, "What is your reaction to the story piece that materializes in your mind when I suggest these scenarios?"

They have nothing to do with any story you would write from these scenarios. Moreover, there is no way for the person reading the post to have any idea what the characters in your story are really like or how they would behave and interact in the events that arise from these scenarios.

Do you see the problem? A story concept really does mean nothing. It all boils down to what you can do with these - writing prompts.

6. DeathandGrim

Actually the reason I'm asking this is because its obviously impossible to recreate this scenario. What I'm doing is trying to get a pool of opinions and reactions by surveying how someone would react to such situations. My reasoning behind that is that I have a tendency to go off the rails with realistic character portrayal and in order to accurately gauge I would rather grab a collective of reactions outside my own, compare & contrast, and formulate a base off it.

Which is why I asked these questions because they're and integral part of the story I want to tell; these scenes are a pivotal point for Evelyn and her family. And I want to know how other minds other than my own would react so I can get a better grip on how the situation can be handled. They don't need to know too much, that's how surveys work, if I gave you a full backstory I could easily sway a majority to a predetermined decision and what would be the point?

It's all relative and relevant Cogito.