1. Afion

Afion Senior Member

How do you motivate yourself to write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Afion, Mar 14, 2012.

I have loads of ideas in my head, but when I'm writing them out, I can only stick with them for about a page. How do you manage to keep writng?

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Self-discipline. It's as simple and as difficult as that.

3. Erato

Erato Contributing Member

I find that an idea isn't good, or I don't like it, or I'm not good enough to write it, if I lose interest. Like shadowwalker said, there's a certain amount of discipline involved, but I also tend to let myself drop bad ideas when I find holes, and go in search of ones with more promise.

4. joanna

joanna Active Member

I write what I like to write and leave out the other stuff.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

For me it is learning to listen to my characters. (The writer version of multiple personality) My characters won't let me stop writing lol they bug me until I sit down and tell their story.

Also I love my stories and I want to find out what happens next. Writing for me is pure fun - I love rewriting and editing as well. It isn't a chore. Find a character you love and want to spend time with.

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

I don't have to convince myself, I need to write, I have a harder time giving myself a motivation to not write. it's a physical need. Even when i have to write about something that isn't easy to write about, or the going gets tough, I still never lose the inner motivation to do it. I want to work out the problems I have and be good at this. I don't know what advice to give other than agreeing with s.w: discipline. if you really want to write you need that. Maybe you should think about why it is so hard to commit to your ideas. Is it the idea in itself or would you rather want to do something else than writing? Would another story idea make things different? another genre? another POV? I think you need to think about these things in order to find the answer.

7. Kaymindless

Kaymindless Contributing Member

Like Tesoro said, the real question is why are you stopping. Next time you're sitting down to write and you stop, try and figure out and then you can figure out how to continue. Other than that and the discipline, try other methods. If you're planning, then try not until you a bit into the story (or at all.) If you're not planning, try making an outline. If you're typing it, try writing it or maybe test out software that might work for you. Just mix things up until you find a process that works for you.

8. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix Contributing Member

I don't actually need motivation to write. I write because that's what I do, and that's what I like. Though I have problems sticking with only one idea... I am always starting new stories and never finishing them ><
    Perhaps it's about the idea that is not good enough...? I second the post above.

9. Afion

Afion Senior Member

My main problem is that I have to many ideas. I'll think of an idea and start writing it, then think of another idea and give up on the old one. Also, I like to be alone when I write and as I have four siblings, it's not easy :/

10. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix Contributing Member

I feel your pain... I have the same thing :D I think the problem, for me, is that I don't like the idea much and go to another one without seeing what was wrong with the first one. I actually had an idea for an original novel two months ago that I didn't like, but I thought about it again, changed a few things, and now I'm working on it. Again.

11. Kaymindless

Kaymindless Contributing Member

I can relate to that on both parts. I'm honestly a little bi-polar in my writing, I have multiple projects going on at the same time and they are not related in the least bit. What I do is have a little journal that I write everything in, with a table of contents in the back, and switch between stories all willy nilly. I do set limits on myself though; if I'm working on one story and another bites me, I have to tell myself that I'm finishing this scene or the next three scenes in my mind. This really is just a instant of slapping my wrist to get going on one project for a little bit and merging matching ideas. And then go back and work on previous ideas.

Being the oldest of five, it really is a pain to be alone or have silence while writing. Honestly, the only thing that fixed that for me was accepting that there is no such thing as privacy or silence and pushing myself through writing. Now, I sit in the living room with the TV blaring, a conversation going on and grumbling when I get interrupted mid sentence.

12. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

My head can be a bit of a plot bunny festival (look up Bunny Festival Song on youtube - i listen to it when I feel that way) but I force myself to work on one project at a time. Any new idea demanding attention I write a piece of flash or short fiction (under 2,5000 words) that relates to it and then file it. I don't allow it to take more than a day from the main project.

13. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

I personally view it as a form of meditation. The act of writing allows mee to get my ideas out, focus my mind, and allow me to discover parts of myself that I didn't know existed. It is a positive experience; my ideal evening is me sitting alone in the dark drinking a cup of tea listening to Yiruma and rainymood.com while writing. I live for the hour and a half or so every evening in which I do that, it makes me happy.

14. jc.

jc. Contributing Member

This pretty much sums it up. I love to write, but the problem is that I enjoy doing many things and get distracted easily. It really is all about discipline and perseverance.

15. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

maybe more thorough planning would make you more emotionally invested in your stories and after having spent hours, days and weeks plotting, developing characters in your mind and getting to know them and their goals you would be less likely to abbandon your ideas just because another one appear. there's nothing that says you can't write them after you've finished what you're doing, but trying and identify the ones worth committing to long term will save you a lot of time in the end. Some ideas can seem great but at a closer look you find there isn't enough material for the kind of story you want to write, or several of them you can actually mix into one or even into your current idea and make it even better. learning to evaluate the ideas on an early stage is important for any writer I think. a lot of times, after the initial enthusiasm is gone you find that there was more smoke than fire.

16. DaVinci

DaVinci Banned

Sit down and do it and don't waste time thinking about doing it.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The Nike Imperative:

"Just do it."

18. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I have the same problem. Some ideas just don't stick.

19. superpsycho

superpsycho Contributing Member

If you don't have a complete story idea to start with it's hard to just write until one comes to mind. That's why many writers lay out their stories a head of time. Self-discipline is key and often that's a matter of developing good habits.

20. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

By keeping writing. Plant your butt in your chair, focus, and do it.

For me, the hardest part is planting my butt in the chair. I can always find a hundred excuses not to write. But if I do, after about two minutes, I'm captivated by my story and by my prose, and even though it's difficult, I'm excited to keep going. My imagination can amaze me if I push it to, but I have to push it. The hours after the first two minutes are fascinating, sometimes joyous, sometimes filled with discovery, and occasionally, disappointing. But the reward is always there at the end of the session. If I can survive the first two minutes, I'm away to the races.

So do it. Plant your butt in the chair and push through those first two minutes. Creative heaven is on the other side!

21. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Member

I let the idea run a natural life and if it's one page that's OK. Then I move onto the next idea. When I've got the story together, I find I need to come back and add bits so the original one page turns into a few.