1. Soul

Soul Member

How do you overcome your hurdles

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Soul, Feb 8, 2011.

To get it short,what do you do when you hit wall,when you mind goes utterly blank and nothing you write seem like it have sense or worth?I like tried writing something a difrent story and taking some time off but s**t keeps hitting the fan,and i becoming depressed.

Is it some way to fast overcome this?And please don't post thing like eat some chocalate or something :)

2. Contagion

Contagion Member

It might sound a bit cliched, but how about writing something else - anything other than what you're focused on right now. Like a short story or something, challenge yourself to write as complete a story as you can on something unrelated in an hour, half an hour, whatever.

Or just write down your feelings about not being able to write... wow, I've just read what I've just written there and it all sounds a bit hippyish... sorry!

3. Silver_Dragon

Silver_Dragon Senior Member

I usually do something I enjoy or something that makes me feel inspired to write again, like reading a book I really like.

4. amateurvoice

amateurvoice Senior Member

What works for me is instead of focusing my thoughts on the problem I try to ignore it for a while. Completely block it from my mind for a day or two. So when I come back to it I have a clean slate to work with, and I can really figure out what to do as far as going about jumping said hurdle.

5. FictionAddict

FictionAddict Senior Member

I stay clear from the issue for as long as it takes for me to need to go back writing. When I feel the need to go back, usually it's because I have something on my mind.

It's cliché, I know, but listen to music, watch movies, read other books. I know you've heard this before, but it really works. Maybe not in a short time period, but it'll work.

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

I just keep writing for me my first draft is more of a zero draft/elaborate plot outline, it is the planning process. I just write waffle, fluff and keep going, maybe just do loads of dialogue in the story or describe towns etc.

7. evelon

evelon Active Member

Listen to music. It's creative, it's powerful, it's refreshing and it has a way of connecting to the 'inner you'.

8. w176

w176 Contributing Member Contributor

I would look into impro teather techniques to fix this. Since impro theater is story -now- you can't never let the brain freeze up, and because of this they got tons of both exercised and helpful theory to help you shift mindset.

I would recommend the book "Impro. Improvisation for the theater" by Keith Johnstone, it is probably available at you library or easy to order online. It full of both theory and loads of examples.