1. Soul

Soul Member

How do you practice?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Soul, Feb 4, 2011.

How do you practice?

I write storie per day,so my writing time isn't fixed.Sometimes it takes me 2 hours,sometimes 1,but i write just short stories for now.It is that not enough?

2. Jaybrownuk

Jaybrownuk Member

How long are these stories you write everyday? Myself I write little pieces when I have the time, not exactly stories just mini fleshed out ideas. Keeps me fresh, I do this a few times a month when I have the time.

3. Soul

Soul Member

I write them in notebook,so at my best i wrote ten pages,at my worst i wrote half,but i don't know if i am making any progress so to speak.

So i am intrested,do you use any particular methods to write or something like that,or you just write?

4. Raki

Raki Contributing Member

I write everyday. Lately, I've probably been overtaxing myself with it, writing somewhere in the nature of 5 to 10 thousand words a day. I rarely write just to write though, but sometimes I develop little exercises to help me improve (like writing a small fight scene, or a couple falling in love, or someone leaving their workplace through quiting or being fired, etc.). I find that the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

5. Sean2112bd

Sean2112bd Member

I actually did a writing exercise yesterday and I finished it. I took a movie scene and then wrote it in a story telling format.

I did this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv0b9TxAtG4

It actually took up a page (single spaced). If you take a movie scene and write it like you would a story, then the writing is easier because half the time you're writing you're already trying to visualize the story in your head and watching for any plot holes. If you have a movie scene, then all you have to do is write based on what you see in the scene, and if you're working on a story and you're writing a part similar to a movie scene you saw, then all you have to do is edit what you wrote and then it can be your own.

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

I try to set aside two hours a day where I just write, stay offline and I write a lot more than when I am online.

Writing challenges are great - basically 20 minutes writing, 10 minutes noting how much I have written etc, time to get a drink etc

7. Raki

Raki Contributing Member

That seems like a pretty good method for practice, but I worry that it might make you focus too much on sight of the five senses. It's good practice to try to include all senses into writing, and that may be a little limited if you are watching it on a screen, relying on sight and sound alone to take it in. So much can be portrayed through what you (or your character) hears, smells, tastes, feels, and so on. Of course, you can make all of these things up while writing a movie scene, but I still think the focus might be wholly on what you see and hear.

8. Soul

Soul Member

Wow,thank you all,you have all been really helpfull. :)

9. Sean2112bd

Sean2112bd Member

Yeah true, but you need to take that into consideration even when you're visualizing it in your head. I suppose one might lean towards sight and sound, but that doesn't necessarily rule out the author's decision to add smell, taste and touch if he or she desires to and/or if its important to the scene.

10. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

I don't practice as such, I just write.

Many of these writing exercises I've seen are not much more than a waste of time, imo.

I'd much rather work on something that will end up being something, and that's how I learned and got better. Plus reading of course, all the time. Soaking up how the best writers did (and do) it.

11. Tessie

Tessie Contributing Member Contributor

That is actually a question of preference. As for me, my practice is very sporadic. Sometimes it's paragraphs a day, other times two sentences. You needn't feel self-conscious about how much or how little you write a given day. I use to think it had to be so much so many hours at a time. But you really can't go wrong with writing. It's quite a forgiving thing. :)

12. lost123

lost123 Senior Member

If you write one good sentence each day. In 365 day, you will make a bestseller book.

13. Tessie

Tessie Contributing Member Contributor

lol I like that. Shall keep it in mind.

14. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

How quickly you write is less important than what is produced at the end. Some people can write 10K+ a day, others less than 1K - both can get you a great novel at the end of it.

15. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

I practice by writing, editing, and thinking. Reading rarely helps me, at least no more than a good TV Show/Movie does. Writing exercises are fun, but they don't really do much, IMO. And forcing myself to write every day just seems unnecessary.

I write when I write. I practice when I actually have something that means something to me.