Tags:
  1. Hollowly

Hollowly Member

Who currently knows you are a writer?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Hollowly, Apr 16, 2018.

I am curious to know at what point other posters are in their writing, (aspiring, finished but unpublished novel, published, etc.) and who they have told about it, (friends, family, co-workers) and how much they have mentioned about their writing. Did you find telling any of these people that you were writing, or that you intended to write, to be helpful or a hindrance? Do you wish you could go back and have kept it to yourself because of ridicule, or do you wish you had told others sooner because it would have helped motivate you? I'm curious because I haven't told anyone outside of my family, (who have been supportive) and I am going to get a part-time job soon and wonder if, when my potential boss asks what I have been doing with my time, if I should be honest and say writing, even though nothing has come of it yet. I don't want it to seem that I was just doing nothing with my time and would be a poor employee, or be dishonest. Any thoughts would be helpful!

2. grimshawl

grimshawl Member

I just published my first book onto Amazon earlier this year in February so I am a new writer. As far as who knows it. My family and friends and those I connect with on Facebook and other social media and the thousand or so people who have bought my book so far, although obviously the two are not mutually exclusive. : )

CerebralEcstasy likes this.
  3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I've had two books and a short story traditionally published so far. My closest family and friends know, but I don't discuss my writing with co-workers, acquaintances or distant family, and they have no idea (as far as I know) about that side of my life. I use a pseudonym and don't post anything about it on Facebook. I mostly keep it on the down low because the genre I write in (explicit m/m romance) is somewhat controversial, and I don't need the gossip and/or drama that could result if I was completely open about it.

That said, I don't think an employer is going to care at all that you've been writing in your spare time as opposed to knitting, gardening or playing video games. It's unlikely they'll see it as anything but a hobby like any other.

Shenanigator likes this.
  4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Lots of people - I'll mention it if it's relevant to a conversation, and then friends/colleagues tend to tell other friends/colleagues. I was shy at first, and I still hate being asked, "What do you write?" or "What is your book about?" but I don't see any reason to hide it.

However, I'm thinking of writing an erotica and I probably won't be publicising that...

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Just about everyone that knows me in any depth knows I am an author. I would be considered published, with 8 novels, 1 short story collection and 2 novellas published.

6. Kenosha Kid

Kenosha Kid Active Member

Lots of people know I'm a science writer, but only my partner, her kids, and my best mate and his wife know I'm trying to be a fiction writer. But it's early days for me. If I ever get anything published I probably won't shut up about it.

Shenanigator and CerebralEcstasy like this.
  7. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

My family and most of my friends know. It's not something I try to keep a secret, but I don't advertise it either. It really hasn't affected anything -- I do have a couple shorts published, which lends me some credibility in some folks' eyes, but it's largely considered a hobby. People have hobbies. It's no big deal.

Shenanigator and Indigo Abbie like this.
  8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

close family, friends, and random strangers who've bought my books...(or got one free joining my mailing list)... I havent told my mum because i lack the energy for the 'why can't you right something nice like james herriot did' conversation - my books are more like the bastard child of Lee Child and E L James, who's been raised by their crazy uncle john connelly

(i'm at two books self published - one novel and one novella , one novel with beta readers, working on another novel, and also working on a non fiction project (about writing your first novel) )

Shenanigator likes this.
  9. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I’m unpublished but a few short stories have earned me some ’what the hell is the matter with you’ looks. I’ve entered a couple contests and gotten close, but no cigar; short listed on one and an honorable mention.

As far as who knows I write... a couple people at work are aware. That’s about it. My wife doesn’t even really know. I don’t exactly keep it from anyone, I just don’t broadcast it.

Indigo Abbie and GlitterRain7 like this.
  10. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I'm one of those unpublished types, with the ambition of eventually seeing myself in print. Yes, it has to be print. E-books will not do, long-term. I need to be able to hold it in my hands, smell it, and beat my enemies over the head with it.

Most of my immediate family and close/middle distance friends know about this stuff, I guess, if they have been paying attention at all. But, I don't really get into it with them at length. They're generally not super interested, and I will toil not to be that guy. So, it mostly just exists as a piece of trivia, and I suspect that the prevailing consensus is that this is yet another way for me to avoid putting my time into something useful. A scant handful have sampled my various word stews, and claim that it is "not as bad as one might expect".

11. lonelystar

lonelystar Active Member

Who knows? no one (except people here). Maybe I should say no one I actually know. I used to share my crude = rubbish song lyrics as a teenager but that was years ago. Never discuss or share my fiction.

Where am I in the story? about 27k in. Still a lot of work to do, both writing and editing.
    A very long way off any decisions about how to publish.

12. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Writing has never been a secret for me. I really haven't been able to come up with a better answer when people ask, "What do you do?" or "Do you work?" My answer is and has been for a long time that I'm a writer. Most of my RL friends are writers or working in the industry. I've never gotten any ridicule from anyone even though I have received a million rejections. I don't think anyone is really going to care if you start calling yourself a writer or telling people that you write. Most of us do something. Most of us around here write.

13. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Non-fiction writing, anyone who knows me knows, because it's been at least part of my profession for years.

Fiction, only those closest to me know, as well as some creative people who would be supportive. 2/3 of the way finished with first novel.

I wouldn't tell the boss at all. Until money has been made, it's just a hobby, and your hobbies are none of the boss's business. Plus, as soon as an employer finds out you can write, suddenly they expect you to write a shit ton of stuff for free as part of the job, and they'll expect you to do with no credit and no pay. ETA: Or suddenly the next thing you know, he expects you to write his kid's resume and cover letters, the family holiday cards, et all. No need for the boss to ever know, until you've sold something. And even then I'd think about it carefully.

14. Tenderiser

My boss has ambitions to write a novel. I just hope she never asks me to read it, because how awkward would that be?

matwoolf and Shenanigator like this.
  15. Shenanigator

Another good reason not to tell the boss. Or you could be asked to read or proofread or edit his kid's novel or articles, which has happened to me in the past.

16. Tenderiser

We're both professional writers so, thankfully, my boss can deal with her own writing needs. :D

But if she ever asks me to beta a manuscript I'm going to develop temporary illiteracy.

Shenanigator and izzybot like this.
  17. Shenanigator

At a couple of small companies I was the only writer, and it's never good. It's been quite a while but the memory makes me shudder.

Tenderiser likes this.
  18. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

I have one finished manuscript that I'm currently revising.
    I'm that person who loves talking about their writing with people. My friends and my boyfriend know about my WIP, and they know I really want to be traditionally published one day.
    My family, on the other hand, doesn't know I write outside of school, let alone that I have a finished manuscript, with the exception of my dad. I only told him because he can write as well, and I felt comfortable telling him. He doesn't know what my book is about, though. That's why I haven't told the rest of my family. I'm not ready for them to know what I write about.

Shenanigator likes this.
  19. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Everyone that knows me knows I write. I don't go running around telling strangers, but I don't tell strangers anything.

20. awkwarddragon

awkwarddragon Member

Currently outlining a fanfic. Be gentle with the teasing. :whistle:

Hobbyist writer. Doubt I'll publish anything.

No one. The only people to know are you lovely folks.

Nothing. Until now. :bigwink:

21. Seth Fusion

Seth Fusion New Member

None of my current friends or family know that writing is something I take seriously. I have mentioned it in passing with my sister but that was a while ago and I have gotten more serious about it recently. I, too, fall into this idea of not being established, or particularly good, and I let that keep me from telling people. I should probably tell a few people I trust just to have that backing that I know helps so many other writers, but I keep feeling like I want to have something really worth sharing before I put myself out there.

22. Commander Vimes

Commander Vimes Member

I don't keep my writing a secret, but nor do I actively talk about it often. My wife best knows that I write, but both my own and her family know I also write.

I started and once failed to maintain a blog on writing, and I mention it sometimes in my twitter, but probably not as much as I should. Friends know, some of them are keen on writing too, so that makes it a little easier. Noone has any major success to speak of, so In a sense that makes it easier I guess too because you're not comparing yourself. On the flip side though, it also means I probably don't push myself enough.

I finished my first draft of my first novel I wrote and sent that around to a few friends and family to get some feedback, but that was difficult, because I think people are afraid to be too harsh in that situation. I've nearly come to a close on my second Novel, which I think is an improvement and will ask my wife to read it, then do a 2nd draft and think about getting some beta readers.

Indigo Abbie likes this.
  23. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

I'm unpublished and don't have any true aspirations to be published, but a few friends know I write and my parents know I write. Very few know what I write about, though. If they found out, I'd probably be disowned.

Indigo Abbie and Shenanigator like this.
  24. Commander Vimes

Commander Vimes Member

Care Bears?

Shenanigator and Mink like this.
  25. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Family, coworkers, enemies, and people on WF. I think my dog knows as well but that counts as family, LOL.

Shenanigator and VynniL like this.