1. Ex Leper

Ex Leper Banned

Your thoughts on thoughts

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ex Leper, Aug 28, 2015.

When writing a character's thoughts is there a correct way to do it, or is it down to peronal prefereance?

For example:

Veronica let her go. She knew this act well. Danielle was the best at this kind of manipulation. Not this time, little sis, Veronica thought, I'm not falling for this act. She watched her sister and wondered if she'd march on out of her life forever and forever indignant. She took maybe ten strides before she turned back.

In this example I have used the thought like speech minus the speech marks. I have seen this often in books. The other example is to write in italics to emphasise that it's not normal speech, nor part of the descriptive text. I have seen this example just as often.

Which is correct?

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I don't think there is a 'correct'.

Italics are fine with me, but then so are no italics, just as long as it's clear they are the character's thoughts.

This thread has reminded me that I hardly ever include internal thoughts in my writing. Not sure if that's good, bad or indifferent.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Like in your example, I don't use quotes or italics to denote thought. I find this method to be the best.

Also, there's an entire thread on this very issue. It's a very entertaining read. :)

GingerCoffee likes this.
  4. Ex Leper

Ex Leper Banned

Thanks. That's good to know. Some people have told me I'm doing it wrong.

And, I'll check out that thread.