1. Geckolover

Geckolover New Member

Twisted leg as birth defect

Discussion in 'Research' started by Geckolover, Jul 5, 2015.

I'm working on a story in which a main character is born with a twisted leg (I was inspired by Lois Lowry's character Kira in Gathering Blue.) Since I can't ask Lois Lowry, I thought I'd ask here- is this realistic? Is there a name for it? What kind of treatment would be necessary? What kind of impact would it have on his early childhood (late to walk?) and later life? At the moment I only have a rough idea of him, but I definitely like the idea of him having a bad limp- would this be a likely outcome? The story is set in modern day America- no limits on availability of treatment.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Having a 'twisted leg' is pretty vague. You need to determine exactly what causes the outward appearance and symptoms before anything else can be determined. I have a friend with hip dysplasia which causes them to limp and they've needed several surgeries and been in and out of wheelchairs and casts and hospitals, which may or may not serve your needs, but is obviously a pretty different thing from say club foot. If you only want him to limp, maybe consider him having some old injury instead? Birth defects can be pretty taxing on early life, depending on how severe they are, and can effect people in pretty noticeable ways psychologically if not physically. Or you could start by looking over this and seeing what fits.

3. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

I have a friend who was born with no lower leg - so their leg ends just below half way down her shin.

I have only really ever ridden with her, so cannot comment on limping and the like. She took up swimming and went to 3 paralympics as a swimmer and is now training as a cyclist in an attempt to make the paralympic cycling team. She is a motivational speaker and a very positive, upbeat person doing a PhD at the local institute of sport.

Clealy not a twisted leg, but I hope it gives you some insight into the mindset possible despite being born with a similar physical problem.

4. koadancer

koadancer New Member

I've heard that the umbilical cord can get wrapped around a hand/arm or leg/foot and cause damage if not properly monitored. And breach births can cause damage too.

5. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

What do you mean, "twisted leg?" Can you give me a little more imagery? I'm having a hard time envisioning this condition.

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

^ I'm the same way. The closest I can get to is clubbed foot. Is this what you mean? Or is it just a deformity where the leg is sort of...mangled as it were? I mean, sure, you could always paint it as being a deformity, but what exactly is wrong with his leg is what I'm asking.