1. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 Contributing Member

How do you set your goals?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Scarecrow28, Sep 1, 2008.

Right now, I'm just marking everything down on Microsoft Works Calendar and planning out when I have to complete certain parts of the writing process. This way, I feel like I have to finish it before certain date and can motivate myself to write on a daily basis.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I should set up a calendar like you. I don't have a goal, but I would like to have one. Due dates force me to work.

3. inkslinger

inkslinger Contributing Member

I don't. I think that's the problem, lol.

4. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

I set myself a daily writing goal, rather like participating in NaNoWriMo.

In this case, I'm shooting for 1000 words a day, and 500 on weekends, when I'm often out later and more tired when I arrive home. It isn't much, but I do work full-time. A couple of hours is what I have to spare.

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

I don't make a goal, I dislike writing to dealines unless it is for school work. I think that if you are writing to a deadline, your writing is sloppier in a rush to finish it. You may procrastinate until the last week of your dealine, then rush it all to finish. You may push yourself too hard trying to reach this dealine. There are a lot of things that can go wrong, so unless you are writing to meet a school or work dealine, then I wouldn't do it.

6. KP Williams

KP Williams Contributing Member

I'm of the same mind as Heather. I always procrastinate with school deadlines, so there's no reason to think I wouldn't for my writing, especially if I'm just not in the mood for it like I have been lately.

Besides, my teachers are obsessed with our personal goals. Every one of them is constantly giving us writing assignments about our goals, and to be frank, I now want to see that word burn.

7. Iaevich

Iaevich Member

I was thinking about this recently. For me, a specific deadline isn't healthy. It produces the most words, but I'm not always sure that they're the best words. Still, I'm chronically lazy, so it's sometimes the only option I have. Recently, I set myself the goal of 5000 words a week. I've found that this is better than a goal of x number of words per day, because then you have more flexibility to write when you're inspired. If I ever write full time, I intend to have a goal of 20 to 40k words per month. I think it's better to have a range to take the pressure off a specific number of words.

8. ciavyn

ciavyn Senior Member

I think your goal setting, scarecrow, is an excellent idea. Find what will work the best for you, and then work to meet that goal. It is not that you always accomplish it - it is that strive to get there. Very few people in life who have made it to a level of success make it without goal setting. Not that it is easy! But when you get published, you will have someone else setting goals for you - better if you can get a handle on it now! :)

9. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

For starters, I never, ever set out with the thought, "I'm going to write a story of so many words." I just sit and write the story. Then however many words it turns out to be, so be it. (I'm not writing for publication so word count doesn't matter.)

I honestly don't see how I'd be able to operate if I set out with a word count goal like that.

And neither do I tell myself, "I'm going to have this story done by such-and-such a date." I just work on it, and when it ends, it ends.

Then, I decide on a reasonable amount to write each day. I used to write about 20kb (which I guess came out to around 3400-4000 words) a day, but this began to strain me so I settled on half that, 10kb (1700-2000 words a day). And even if I feel like I can write more, I don't, so it leaves me a good place to pick up from tomorrow. When I used to write more, and would write until I ran out of stuff to say for the day, I would find myself at a loss for words the next day so limiting myself works better.

I do not note things down on a calendar or any such. I just do the writing. The story unfolds as it will.

Like I said I guess this isn't realistic if one is looking to get published or is on a deadline, but if one isn't published YET, and doesn't really have a deadline yet, I think it could be reasonable. But that's just me. If I were to set a total word count it would be too restricting, and a deadline for a story when I have no clue how long it will even be, that would make me resentful of the story for taking up my time. It's better for me this way. *shrug*

10. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 Contributing Member

The calendar is definately reminding me. Darn thing beeps everytime I log on and a little window pops up telling me to write. I did the same thing on my cellphone. Now it beeps every time I turn it on and reminds me on the homescreen.

11. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Whereas for me, it's the only way I get anything done. I am fantastically, amazingly, superlatively lazy, and so easily distracted that I can fill up three or four hours without any effort at all. (Reading interesting articles, playing Magic online, browsing webcomics, farting around on roleplaying sites.)

I have to keep to a strict schedule. If I allow myself 5000/week instead of 1000/day, then I will leave the whole thing until Sunday night at about ten PM, and will find myself so overwhelmed that I barely scratch out a few hundred before giving up in despair, and then shrugging because it's not a "real" problem, and then not writing anything for two or three weeks because of lingering shame.

I know me, and I know what I do with freedom. (Goof off, specifically.)

12. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter Contributing Member

I find I write best when I just make it my daily goal to write a certain number of hours per day. At the end of that time, I may have a couple of finished chapters or I might wind up with just a few pages. I used to set page number or word count goals, but then I found myself just writing a lot of crap to fill up space so I could make my five pages per day or whatever. Also, the quality often suffers with a rush job.

Edit: I am in favor of setting some sort of deadline by which the story needs to be done. It gives me the motivation not to skip out on days when I'm feeling lazy.