1. shelabama

shelabama New Member

How Do You Start Your Day?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shelabama, Feb 20, 2012.

Just curious. Do you have a morning routine? A specific time you wake up every morning? Do you have one cup of coffee and a piece of toast every morning? Do you exercise at 5AM?

I am one of those people: I complain about the house being dirty, but I never actually do anything about it (because the internet is so much more fun). I'm also really wanting to start an exercise routine and lose a little weight, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting motivated. I know that settling into a routine can really help, so I'm looking for things other people do, so I can try to build my own :)

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I have to brush my teeth and hair and wash my face and stuff the second I wake up. I have that gross tooth-plaque feeling in the morning, and the idea of going about having breakfast or checking my emails or whatever without taking care of my hygiene just seems nasty. After that, I don't really have a routine. I eat and then just get to work or whatever. :)

By the way, about the workout thing, your best strategy is to spend the majority of the workout (like 45 mins) on weight training, and then the last 15-20 minutes on mild cardio. Do this in the evening, after you've had plenty of time to eat proteins and stuff (no specific supplements or anything, just foods with plenty of protein, like dairy products). This way, you'll work on creating muscles, which will help keep fat away long-term because the calories you take in will go toward sustaining that muscle, rather than toward fat. Doing excessive cardio and only measuring by poundage lost will actually lose muscle, which in turn sets you up to regain fat more easily. Muscle is your friend.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I work at home, so my schedule is very flexible. I get up anytime from 6:30 to about 7:45 am. I used to drink coffee, but I developed a hypersensitivity to caffeine, so I have to stay away from the stuff. It destroys my whole day if I have even a single cup.

I turn on the news and have a bowl of cereal. After surfing the net, including this forum, I usually focus on either "real work" or my writing. My roommate is disabled, so I also have to do a lot of things for him during the day, and I also run all the errands and prepare the meals, etc. In the evenings, I either watch late-night comedy or read.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

^ I hate the taste of coffee but I drink a lot of Diet Pepsi.

5. TheTranskinator

TheTranskinator New Member

...not sure...it's dark and I hear laughing... aww
    My average school day begins with my alarm blaring into my ear at 6:30 in the morning. I then proceed the hit the snooze button with my fist until it stops beeping. That's when I realize that I can't go back to sleep, so I roll straight out of bed and go hop into the shower.

After a few minutes of standing beneath the warm water as I slowly wake up more and more, I realize that the alarm is still going back off because I only hit snooze. I quickly dart out of the shower and grab a towel, sometimes tripping as I make my way to the door. I rush to my room and shut off the loud beeping for good before returning to the bathroom and hopping back into my shower, relieved that I shut off the alarm before my mom woke up.

That's when I realize that my towel is still on.

After a few curses and the removal of my towel, I'm finally done with my shower. As I'm drying off (with a different towel) my mother bangs on the door and starts yelling at me because 'the fire alarm was going off'. After a moment of panicking I realize she heard my alarm, and somehow mistook it for the completely different sounding fire alarm.

Eventually I find myself dressed with my daily deodorant applied and my breakfast in my hand as the clock hits 7:45. That's when I realize that I'm going to be late for school, which starts at 8:00. I proceed to devour my breakfast (either a breakfast sandwich, pancakes, or preferably bacon) and get into the car as I wait for my even later brother and my angry mother.

Eventually they get into the car at around 7:50 and we speed off to school. Guess who gets pulled over? This guy. Or, more specifically, my mother. In the end I wind up getting to school at 9:00 after first period. And that, my friend, is my typical day.

But in all seriousness you can probably figure out what my usual routine is from that true story. Don't hate on me for my stupidity that day, I was really tired. In all actuality I wake up at 6:30, take a shower, get dressed, grab my stuff for school, eat some breakfast, feed the dogs, and go to school. That's me every single day. Except Saturday. Sunday's just replace school with church.

And I can't drink Diet Pepsi or Coffee. I hate them both. Regular Pepsi or Coke is amazing though...

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I get up at around 5-6 am. Sometimes it's earlier, depending on the night.

I wake up, feed the dogs and make coffee. I let them go out to do their buisness, bring them back in, make coffee cup, and go upstairs. I surf the internet.

An hour or so later, I eat breakfast and, depending if it's a school day or not, I go to school or I...surf the internet and play games.

Yeah, my life is very exciting. xD

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Get up around 7am. Stagger into the shower to make me feel more human, drink a cup of coffee, leave the house, have another cup of coffee in Costa Coffee (they have one near campus) then start my day by meeting friends and socializing before getting anything done. I rarely eat something right away, and I don't like my breakfast to be anything more than a slice of bread or something else small. I'm not a fussy eater, I'm just not a big eater; what keeps me going is coffee. Lots and lots of coffee.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

wake up/get up around 6-6:30 most days

make bed [my daytime 'sofa']

ablute, etc.

turn on the computer [open msn/hotmail inbox] and the tv [for cnn and bbc news]

have my morning juice to wash down daily dose of mag/cal/zinc

deal with email that came in overnight

fix breakfast

eat breakfast while doing this [posting on the 3 sites i monitor daily]

...after all the posting is done with [usually by 10/11-ish, i deal with material sent in by current mentees, or new seekers of help with their writing... that can take me up to my 'dinner' time at around 2 pm [my second/last meal of the day, as i don't eat 'supper']... after which i work on clients' projects and then my own, if i have something to write... when all that's done, i watch tv and/or read, do my 'exercises' [nyt sunday crosswords and hardest acrostics i can find in book form] till sleep time at 11-12...

...that's my life 24/7, 365 days a year... only other thing i do is go to the market as needed...

9. shelabama

shelabama New Member

Thank you all so much for your replies! It's amazing to see how different people are in their days. I had a whole routine planned out for this morning - better late than never, right? - but then I realized that my whole schedule was for nothing, because I never went to the ATM for laundry money...

10. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

I usually start my day by waking up. :p

No but really... I wake up, instantly go into the shower, brush my teeth, eat breakfast (if I feel like it) then brush my teeth again. Pretty generic morning. :p

11. Lily J.

Lily J. New Member

My daily morning routine:

- Wake up at 6:30
    - Get dressed
    - Feed Dora & Saar (guinea-pigs)
    - Wash my face & do my hair
    - Eat breakfast
    - Do my make-up & brush my teeth etc.
    - Leave for work at 07:00

12. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

On school Days~
    -Wake up at 6:30
    -Brush teeth and have bath
    -Get changed while checking forums and stuff + do hair lol
    -Take lunch out of fridge/warm it up/depends on what i've made
    -make breakfast, which is usually cereal
    -Leave home by 8:10ish

13. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

The things I always do is making myself a cappuccino and turn on the computer to check mails etc. Even if it's 5am, I prefer getting up a little earlier so that I can take my time to wake up slowly and doing these things instead of getting out of bed, jump into the clothes and rush out of the house within fifteen minutes from when i wake up, just to be able to sleep that extra 20 or 30 minutes. To me they're not worth it. I wake up easily but I need time to get started. If I start working early (at 7am) I don't have breakfast until later, at work, otherwise I eat something light. if I don't work I usually sleep a little longer, to around 9am, and sit by the computer all morning, until noon. besides from that I do the other boring stuff like brush my teeth, put the make-up on etc before I leave the house, whenever it might be.

14. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

I wake up well before daylight, so I start my coffee then walk across the street and steal my neighbor's newspaper, he sleeps late so I get to read and return it before he ever wakes up. Once my coffee is made I do the usual shower/shave/brush teeth routine. I then go outside and pop off a few rounds up in the air, just to disturb my neighbors. I crank the Harley and let it warm before revving it up real loud, then kill it and roll it back into the garage. i do this in my underwear since I found out that they can't arrest me for it, but it really bothers people. I then run my trot lines and check my hog traps. If there is a hog in one, i shoot it then drag it down the street in my pickup truck and hang it in a tree in my front yard, gut, skin and quarter it while kicking the dogs away.

Not really, i make coffee, read email and forums, shower/shave/brush teeth and go to work.

15. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

First alarm (by my bed) goes off around 5:50am. The second alarm (on the other side of the room to ensure I don't go back to sleep) goes off at 6am. I usually check my email before I get up.

15~20 minutes maximum in the bathroom, then anywhere between 30~60 minutes blow-drying hair/getting dressed/prepping bag/etc depending on how tired I am. Quick breakfast (usually bread or eggs) while watching NHK and then I'll prepare a lunch if I'm going to be out all day. Out of the house for around 7:50am or earlier if the weather is poor.

On free days I wake-up between 6:30~8:30am.

16. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Weekdays:

- Get up at 6.10 am.
    - Get dressed/ bathroom etc.
    - Check emails or messages
    - Go downstairs to the kitchen for some tea. Breakfast can be cereal, porridge, cake, toast with jam... very occasionally nothing.
    - Leave the house at 6.50 ish to catch the bus at 7.00.
    - Rinse and repeat.

Weekend:

- Sleep in.
    - Have coffee.

17. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Active Member

Lol, Felipe that was funny.

I near hit the ceiling in brown underwear when I wake up to the sound of gunfire, followed by the thunderous clap of a Harley from across the street that some jerk feels the need to rev-up every morning. I brush teeth well from all the trembling, and get dressed quick so I can get the hell to work. On the way out I grab my newspaper that is always so tattered that it looks as though it has been delivered by a pack of hunting dogs. Maybe the dogs from across the road are getting to my newspaper but, I don't want to approach the owner about it as he seems like someone who won't tolerate my suspicion if I'm wrong.

Not really, I wash, brush teeth, make coffee, read email, the go to work.

18. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Wash, brush my teeth, exfoliate, moisturise, all that stuff...

Nothing wrong with male grooming ;)

19. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'll try it. I look like a slob most of the time.

20. shelabama

shelabama New Member

I quite agree :)

21. MRice

MRice New Member

I'm a BIG fan of routine. Being a fan doesn't mean it always happens though! :D

My alarm goes off at 5:20 in the morning, so I start my day swearing at it. I fall out of bed, turn the stupid alarm off and the DVD player then do bathroom things. Meanwhile hubby has rolled over and taken my covers, my pillows and my side of the bed! I stagger out to be greeted by two cats, to whom I'm in perpetual servitude to. They want food. Feed them, get coffee, turn on lptop and start checking emails. Am interupted by emerging teenager, who speaks! At 6:30 I have to stop what I'm doing and start getting dressed and make hubby's lunch before trotting out the door at 7 to go play in traffic. That done I return home to do domestic things and MAYBE write... unless the phone rings and I have to go solve problems. By 2 I'm off again to play in traffic and don't see home until 4:30 ish.

No.. I don't get much time to write. Weekends, if I'm lucky and the muse tackles me.

22. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    1) Usually I set my alarm for 9:00am and end up actually rising at 10:30am or later. I go to the loo, brush my teeth, stick a hoody on over my PJs and go downstairs. I let my dog out (she gets let out and fet at around 6am) and make myself a cup of tea and some breakfast. I watch TV for a bit, then -depending on whether I have work or uni- get dressed at the last minute and head out. Later I watch TV, eat, read my Kindle and then write and edit my work before going to sleep at around 2am.

2) If I'm working early, I get to bed earlier and still end up going to sleep at about 1am. Then I'm up at 5:30 am, when I get washed and dressed immediately, have breakfast, and work until either 1pm or 2pm. Then I spend 40 boring minutes on the bus, come home and let the dog out, and then doze on the sofa to some crap TV. Later I do what I usually do.

If my boyfriend's over, I usually follow option 1), except he'll have the tea waiting for me when I get up and we'll usually spend the day or evening (or both) doing something fun together.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I'm such a lazy-arse, it's because I've always been that way. I have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) so I'm generally still sluggish and sleepy despite my medication. ;)

23. NeedMoreRage

NeedMoreRage New Member

I'm not in school and I'm unemployed, so technically I don't have to start my day. But my bed is really uncomfortable, so I'm usually up around 10 AM. Then I just sit on the computer, read news about the scientific community because news about politics gets me depressed. Then I either waste time, play games, or read until around 4 PM. 4 PM is my designated time to start writing, or start feeling guilty about stuff I am not writing. I'll write until I'm satisfied with what I produced, or make up an excuse for not writing at all. After that, I waste time until I'm tired enough to sleep.
    Quite boring.

24. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

Up at 4:30 a.m., wash, makeup, dress, pack lunch, write for about an hour, preheat car, drive 45 mins to work with tape recorder so I can tape what I think because I'll never remember enough to write down.

Even weekends I'm up by 5 a.m. Love to watch the dawn break and have that time alone.

25. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Oh my, my morning routines have really died off since I started work and college. Now-a-days, my routines usually consist of :
    waking up
    brush teeth and hair
    get dressed
    go out the door

But when I was still in high school, my routines were much more interesting
    I'd wake up
    Brush my teeth and hair (fix my hair)
    Pick up my camera and vlog (I began vlogging as a senior in high school, but that soon died off as well)
    Edit my videos/Post on facebook bout my day
    Touch up some writing
    Eat breakfast (if I was in the mood to)
    Warm up the car (if I needed to)
    Listen to music/Watch tv
    Leave

To be completely honest, I miss my days of high school much more - my mornings were always interesting (even if I'm not a morning person) lol.