1. ArgileSocks

ArgileSocks Member

How do you think? (Just for fun.)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ArgileSocks, Feb 22, 2017.

So how do you think? In words (like a monologue), in images, in impressions or feelings, in daydreams? Do you write down your every thought or do you let them slip away? I was talking about this with a friend the other day and I'm just curious.

I also remember reading a passage in a book (the title has slipped my mind) where a teacher had a discussion with his students and learned that some of them didn't like thinking. They would go over episodes of a TV show in their head, or listen to music, or do anything else to pass the time... I take that to mean that they weren't so keen on reflecting on or analyzing their days.

What about you? How do you think?

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

The reply to this is impulsive which, I guess, is the right way to do it.

I think...

With images: what ifs, predictions, consequences and spun-off concepts. With words: a flitty language stream, compilations of non-focused fantasy scenarios, pronouns skipped for expedience, pausing to catch (to later retell) good phrasing from either within or without.

3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

In binary.

ArgileSocks likes this.
  4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I often think my thoughts in complete sentences. I realised not everybody did that when I listened to a podcast, and two of the speakers laughed at the one who said, "I think in my accent." I definitely think in my accent, with all my slang words etc.

It's particularly helpful when I have to put on a front. Like I can smile and nod when talking to somebody who irritates the fuck out of me because in my head I'm going, "Well if you weren't such a fucking knob, life would be easier for you."

Lifeline and ArgileSocks like this.
  5. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Montage of flesh, earthquakes, lava trailing down valleys. Then comes a sunset and cuddles with rabbits on my knee, and getting up super early to go to work, I am thinking about that at the moment. I shall be the first to work tomorrow, boil boss his de-caffinated coffee. 'No sugar, my sugar,' I will say, maybe I shall clap. 'Happy Thursday' I always say to everybody when they arrive on Thursdays, I think so.

ArgileSocks and 123456789 like this.
  6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I talk to myself, reason with myself - I think in much the same way as I speak, and depending on what I was talking about, the way I speak changes. When I pray, it's closer to what it's like when I'm writing. When I have a rant against someone in my head, that comes out more like how I'd actually say it to the person. When I'm trying to formulate my thoughts on an issue, the thoughts come out more methodical, more writer-ly, as if I was debating with someone. Multiple perspectives come to me as my thoughts go, so I often step back and "talk" to myself - I ask myself questions. For example:

He's a jerk. But how do you know he wasn't just stressed? Don't you get snappy when you're stressed. Of course you do. Give the guy the benefit of a doubt. But he shouldn't have said what he said! While that is his fault, that doesn't mean I shouldn't show him some grace and forgive him.

^something like that. It's a little annoying sometimes because sometimes I just wanna feel self-righteously angry haha. But in the long run, this is good - it's easier to find your emotional balance when you can reason well with yourself, by yourself.

7. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

@Robert Musil

010010010110011000100000011110010110111101110101001001110111001001100101001000000110000101110100001000000110110001101001011011100110011101101111011010100110000101101101001011000010000001110100011010000110000101110100001001110111001100100000011000110110100001100101011000010111010001101001011011100110011100100001

Robert Musil likes this.
  8. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

I think with a little of everything, I guess, except maybe words. If an image pops into mind, the emotions, impressions, and daydreams stream from it almost instantly. I'm not usually sure what comes first, but I'm fairly certain words come after. Though, I just realized when I'm watching a movie or TV show or reading a book I'm always trying to figure out what'll happen next. That, I think, I do in words, though super duper quickly.

I guess it just depends *shrugs*

9. ArgileSocks

ArgileSocks Member

I tend to skip words, too. It's more like I use snippets of sentences and skip from one thought to the next without stopping to form something "pretty."
    I think it's great to reason with yourself. Being able to think about situations from different perspectives is the trademark of a kind, empathetic person.

I used roubaixinteractive. Got you there!

Mckk likes this.
  10. Bill Chester

Bill Chester Active Member

Before I retired, I made my living by inventing devices for research labs at a university. At my peak, I could see complex machines working in my imagination. My visual imagination is still strong. While I'm writing, I close my eyes and watch my characters to see what they do. If I don't like what they've done, I just start over and let them go at it again.

I like to think of absurd things, too, which I like to tell my wife, to which her response is always, "That's my Pooky, always thinking."

11. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

SO you know any machine stories? Not sewing machine or washing, more locomotive to the sky. That's where I am, all strapped in the passenger seat.

12. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Usually I think in words and complete sentences (though like @Tenderiser , if you'd be treated to my internal voice you'd not care for it :rolleyes: ). Though when I focus on sensory input (listening, looking, feeling, smelling), images go off inside my head that completely offset everything and there are no words anymore, just the reality of beauty in past or present, accompanied by emotions (though they are caused by the images and are not their cause).

13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Strange, but I tried. I can't answer that question. I have no idea how I 'think.' It all depends on what's happening and what's needed or what's on my mind. I do have imaginary conversations in my head with people (real people) that are sometimes quite grumpy. But I wouldn't call that 'thinking.' I don't know what I'd call thinking, to be honest. And yet I say it all the time. "I'm thinking about it."

Spencer1990 likes this.
  14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Madness does not take notes, it just happens. :p

15. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

My thoughts exactly. When I think about thinking, it gains a certain texture that isn't present when I'm just going about my business. I can think of pictures, sounds, sentences, faces, etc. when I try, but when I'm not trying, my brain just goes. I can't really explain what it's like because as soon as I think about thinking, things change.

jannert likes this.
  16. Catnip

Catnip New Member

From time to time I seem to live inside my head, I don't have only monologues, I have dialogues. I think about things I could have said or could say right now to someone and what would they say. I think about what would happen. Mostly I think in words, sometimes I am able to paint something in my mind to form a picture, image, but if I don't have a spark to it, it is really hard. Spark to light it up, get my imagination going to create the image.
    And I haven't actually noticed it until now, but it hasn't always been that way. A few years ago I used to think in images too. Atleast easier than now.

17. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

I tend to think in either images or a process of arguments. When I'm doing something creative, I tend to think with the former. When I'm doing academic work, I use the latter.

18. ArgileSocks

ArgileSocks Member

I do this all the time! I'll think of different ways an argument could have gone, or just how a conversation in general could have been different. I suppose it's a form of daydreaming.

There don't seem to be too many people here who think in images (maybe that makes sense for the members for a writing forum, though). How interesting!

19. PercyWolfgang

PercyWolfgang New Member

General thoughts throughout the day are in real sentences, sometimes a monologue, sometimes just a string of random unconnected sentences. A lot of the time I'll say them out loud to myself. Only when I'm alone though... Or sometimes in work because my colleagues know me well enough by now to not call the men in white coats on me. (Well, not for that alone at least.)

I sometimes daydream aswell, act out real scenarios in my head like a film. That's usually when I have something important coming up like a job interview or a date. I pretty much imagine the whole conversation then still fumble when the other person gets their lines wrong. (I never learn that they're not following my script.)

20. Catnip

Catnip New Member

@ArgileSocks I guess in a way. I have always associated it with the social anxiety disorder I suffer from. I have gotten very much used to it and it's easy now to think about things to say in what situation. Not that easy to say it out loud.

21. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

how I think is completely different from how I write my stories or talk. I actually believe my thoughts come through with the most purity in my writing meant to communicate with others, like on this forum.